Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

C.A.R.B. EO faking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C.A.R.B. EO faking?

While illegal, and this site I'm sure does not promote it. But I'm curious as to what have people heard of others doing or have even attempted themselves?

Most of the CARB legal stuff I've seen is really only a sticker on many intakes (my volant in this case) , or a welded on plate (with stamped on numbers) to a header.

Whats stopping one from doing just that? Making their own sticker, or making a plate with some stamped numbers from a real CARB EO number on welding that on to their headers?

Being in CA, not many items are CARB EO approved, and the ones that are, are either expensive (TOG headers), or not that great in terms of gains (shorty headers, intakes, etc)

Add to that, many smog shops will only look at far as a CARB EO stamping and be done with it..

What are you thoughts on this? Again, I'm just curious, not really looking at circumventing the system. It just seems to me that forging the number is pretty simple and I'm surprised it hasn't been done more and mentioned at least to some degree.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you were going to do something like that, I wouldn't post or ask about it on a public forum
Old 03-09-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not that I would know, but some might be fooled with a sticker with an appropriate E.O. Number...

Of course this wasn't my Camaro... you may get lucky. I hate this stupid CARB E.O. . I've seen plenty of cars with plenty of non-CARB junk and tuning on them pass well within acceptable limits. What a giant money making scam.

Long tubes can be hard... mid length are easier to pass, but still every smog guy is different. The best bet is to find a hook up (would make my life easier).

Good luck
Old 03-09-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bombguy99z28
If you were going to do something like that, I wouldn't post or ask about it on a public forum

I explicitly said I asn't going to do it. I'm just surprised no one else has nor has bragged about it. Being the Internt and all...

In reality, the smog shops and the so called "inspectors," are nothing more then minimum wage mechanics. They are not specialized in knowing all aftermarket parts, what they do, and how they function.

Originally Posted by NavySS
Not that I would know, but some might be fooled with a sticker with an appropriate E.O. Number...

Of course this wasn't my Camaro... you may get lucky. I hate this stupid CARB E.O. . I've seen plenty of cars with plenty of non-CARB junk and tuning on them pass well within acceptable limits. What a giant money making scam.

Long tubes can be hard... mid length are easier to pass, but still every smog guy is different. The best bet is to find a hook up (would make my life easier).

Good luck
On my last car a Subaru WRX, I had so many aftermarket parts on that thing. From a larger turbo, injectors, cat's removed, a full standalone PCM, and more... There was no way I could pass. But after moving here from Hawaii, I met someone at a Pepboys or something that hooked me upfor a couple hundred bucks.

My budget now doesn't really allow for mods like those, nor the extra couple hundred bucks to pass a smog test. I'm lucky I have any money left over at the end of the month these days.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your all going to hell!
Old 03-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by unredeemed
I explicitly said I asn't going to do it. I'm just surprised no one else has nor has bragged about it. Being the Internt and all...

In reality, the smog shops and the so called "inspectors," are nothing more then minimum wage mechanics. They are not specialized in knowing all aftermarket parts, what they do, and how they function.

On my last car a Subaru WRX, I had so many aftermarket parts on that thing. From a larger turbo, injectors, cat's removed, a full standalone PCM, and more... There was no way I could pass. But after moving here from Hawaii, I met someone at a Pepboys or something that hooked me upfor a couple hundred bucks.

My budget now doesn't really allow for mods like those, nor the extra couple hundred bucks to pass a smog test. I'm lucky I have any money left over at the end of the month these days.
the idea of a fake carb oe sticker probably isnt new,i bet a few have even tried it.as far as slipping one by,unless a company has a carb oe number on something that is identical to the one you are trying to pass off it wont work.
first, "smog inspectors" are not minimum wage mechanics(not even close)second, the first thing they teach them is to spot aftermarket parts.third,if they have a doubt they have a book with all the most recent carb oe numbers and parts.but yes it is true not everybody knows all parts,are willing to look them up,or even care.so really the best way to know if it will work is to try it.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

ummm uhhhh hmmmm
Are you guys actually running stuff on your vehicles that arent smog legal? You should be ashamed of yourself's!
Those smog laws are there for the benifit of all of us. If we dont take a stand somewhere at sometime we will ruin this entire planet! Just because your car passes tailpipe emissions and isnt actually polluting, you self Righteous bastards think it should be legal! What are you thinking?

I hope you will think long and hard before driving your vehicles on the street if they are not legal..

P.S. Yes it will work with 90% of them.. Its the 10% you need to worry about!
Old 03-13-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flipper
ummm uhhhh hmmmm
Are you guys actually running stuff on your vehicles that arent smog legal? You should be ashamed of yourself's!
Those smog laws are there for the benifit of all of us. If we dont take a stand somewhere at sometime we will ruin this entire planet! Just because your car passes tailpipe emissions and isnt actually polluting, you self Righteous bastards think it should be legal! What are you thinking?

I hope you will think long and hard before driving your vehicles on the street if they are not legal..

P.S. Yes it will work with 90% of them.. Its the 10% you need to worry about!
Wow, that was great acting, Academy Award material for sure!

Old 03-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Teching In

I will admit to trying that trick, simple answer, 90% will not do anything more than see the sticker and say OK, but, the other 10%, will punch in the E.O. # into the computer, and if it doesn't come up correctly, no go on the smog.
Trust me, I've been to every smog place in town, and I FINALLY found someone who wasn't a dumb-dick.
MOST smog techs and bastards that KNOW they've got everyone over a barrel, because they have a commodity that you MUST have to do drive your car.
Easiest Fix...live in Counties that don't require bi-annual smog checks.
PS.- May all dumbdick smog techs rot in hell, as well as Jerry Brown (HE'S to blame for all this smog BS)
Old 03-23-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TIMSPEED
I will admit to trying that trick, simple answer, 90% will not do anything more than see the sticker and say OK, but, the other 10%, will punch in the E.O. # into the computer, and if it doesn't come up correctly, no go on the smog.
Trust me, I've been to every smog place in town, and I FINALLY found someone who wasn't a dumb-dick.
MOST smog techs and bastards that KNOW they've got everyone over a barrel, because they have a commodity that you MUST have to do drive your car.
Easiest Fix...live in Counties that don't require bi-annual smog checks.
PS.- May all dumbdick smog techs rot in hell, as well as Jerry Brown (HE'S to blame for all this smog BS)
Dam dude! Speaking as a former smog tech Don't hate the player hate the game! Do you have any idea the consequences of a neglegent or fraudulant smog? Beside the fact that you can loose your smog license (your livelyhood if you are a smog tech) be fined $10,000 and go to jail you also get a fine for your employer.. And if thats not enough your name gets published in a monthly newsletter sent to all BAR licensed repair shops..

Dont get me wrong get away with it if you can, but don't get pissed at someone doing his job.. If anything I think the guy that doesn't catch it deserves the title "dumb-dick"
Old 03-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Teching In

you said it flipper.calling some a dumbdick because they wont break the law for you?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Teching In

I hate smog techs, because they go INTO smog tech'ing, because they know it's a GURANTEED job. That's ghey. For people who aren't into cars, it's not ghey, because who cares, but for us car guys, I think their should be smog tech's who are also into cars.
BTW: Amazingly, some people might argue that the local smog ref for your county is the worst...but for stanislaus county, the smog ref is actually the best, he's into cars. He even passed my truck, when the headers didn't have an E.O. #, because he said "It doesn't matter, a pipe is a pipe, whether it be made of cast iron or mild steel."
Old 03-24-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TIMSPEED
So in other words, get someones TOG CARB E.O. number, and make a new plate that looks semi decent and profesional, and have it tack welded on to it. Then you can have your headers coated and make it look like it came that way...

But that would be illegal and not right.....
Old 03-25-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do it right the first time, borrow a clean car and program the ECU with your car's VIN.

How can you hate Jerry, at least he allowed cars prior to '74 smog exemption. Arnold just signed AB that repeals it! Thats right, the Terminator just repealed smog exempt for 74+. And, he wants to make polution requirements stiffer on anything over 15 years old! Republicans... dont even know who represents you.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAC Headers don't have any CARB numbers on them to begin with, So there are ways around it..Don't ask me how
Old 03-25-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only thing that has been repealed is the rolling exemption. Its will stop @ <1975. No more 30 year rolling exemption.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oops, I was off by one year.

Glad to read someone else knows AB 2683. IMRC's next step is to increase inspections to once a year, every year for cars 15+ years old. And, create stricter re-test standards for those cars that fail the first time. Not to mention testing pre '76 vehicles.

So is this what we want CA assembly and the governor to do?
Old 03-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Oops, I was off by one year.
I do! Because my truck IS a '75. I THOUGHT it was '75, unless they changed it.
And NO I didn't rush out and buy a '75, my dad bought it brand new in '75.

Quick Reply: C.A.R.B. EO faking?