Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CHP wants to crack down on Modded Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHP wants to crack down on Modded Cars

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles.

www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp
Old 08-08-2005, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's clear who they are targeting.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Suspended Sponsor

The best way to beat this is to have a car that is totally LEGAL in every way and make 500+WHP and have every guage known to man on the dash just to tick them off and drive away with a smile as they sit in frustration.....

-Bryan
Old 08-08-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok show us one.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1320Kid
Ok show us one.
I suspect he was referring to 500 flywheel HP, in which case is relatively simple with a Procharger P1SC or STS on an otherwise stock LS1/LS2. They would be CARB certified.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers."

Large spoilers and racing stickers.... ahahahahaa

Last edited by Ferocity02; 08-09-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
"San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers."

Large spoilers and racing stickers.... ahahahahaa
I just about worried the whole house when I busted up laughing about that... RTFLMFAO!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 03:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

just another step to taking away our freedom to modify OUR VEHICLES
Old 08-09-2005, 09:36 AM
TMF
On The Tree

I feel sorry for you peeps in Cali, but then again, what starts there uaually spreads. All I can say is remember these things when it's time to vote for your favorite dem.........
Old 08-09-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if people start getting targeted we should get all the local car forums involved (yes i mean imports and fords too) and protest somehow as much as we can. i dunno what to do, just a suggestion. this is starting to scare me, i just may save my money for the 09 camaro now instead of modding my 98. i dunno what to do anymore.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned

maybe we could do a bigass drive up to Sacremento and protest it or something. or a petition around the net? something to make this crap stop. cause this is just totally out of line.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1320Kid
Ok show us one.
Come take a look in my driveway.....remember I own a dyno and a race shop.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Ok, If Im Passing All Other Laws (like Smog) Then Why Should We Be Targeted Like Criminals...." I'm Just Saying, Being Pulled Over Unessesarly Is Bull-****. It's A Sign Of Hara$$ment, Just Becuase Of How I Am, Is Not A Valid Excuse To Harass Me While Im Driving My Kids To School Or To A Appointment." If We Let These People Violate Our Freedom To Drive Without Thinking Your Going To Get Pulled Over For Being A Certain Way Than That Is A Civil Rights Violation......( Whats Next Getting Pulled Over Becuase Im Brown, Black , Yellow, Or Even "fat" Or Deformed....etc......) If They Are Going To Impose New Laws Then They Should Affect All Other Drivers Equally ( There Is Alot Of P.o.s. Cars That Affect Our Enviorment Worse Than Our Car Do) So If Im Going To Get Pulled Over Then I Think That The Old Lady Driving The 05' Camary Next To Me Should Get Inspected As I Would....thats Equal Rights There!!!!!
( Another Thing Would Be Like Stopping All Mexicans Driving Cars Becuase They Show More Stats. When It Comes To Stealing Cars!!!!)

Ps. Im Mexican And Im Not Trying To Offend Myself Or Anybody!!!!trying To Give A Example!!!!

Last edited by SSBRONCS; 08-10-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Oh By The Way I Am Travie319 On This Forum Not Ssbroncs Just Using His Computer At The Time.....
Old 08-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Sorry About Those Caps Too!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

WoW! It just never stops in this state! I remeber the 90's up to the present time. SEMA fought alot of battles for local car enthusiasts, and won the right to have a modded car. Most of these laws were regarding "smog or not to smog", and which year vehicles do you start with? For ex: do we smog all cars after 1967, or do we have a rolling 25 year exemption? SEMA would argue in our favor (and theirs too) and sometimes win. Then almost like clockwork, about every 2-3 years, some lawmaker would reintroduce a bill to the state legislature to change the law. This battle has continued and will, until we do something about it. I think we should "ID" the lawmaker that presents the bill, and target him/her with facts about modded cars being clean also. Thats the approach that SEMA takes. If that dosnt work, then target that official during election year, and make sure they dont get reelcted!!

Heres the other part of the question with this law. Will they target all/everyone fairly, or will they unjustly target "ricers", and some late model muscle car drivers, but not target the jacked up, goof-balled, heavily modded diesel and 4x4 pickups? I see that as being a potential problem area also. What do you guys think? Sorry for the rant!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

This just may have talked me out of moving to Cali.

Last time I checked, America stood for freedom. At this rate, it will stand for
Old 08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rob c
This battle has continued and will, until we do something about it. I think we should "ID" the lawmaker that presents the bill, and target him/her with facts about modded cars being clean also. Thats the approach that SEMA takes. If that dosnt work, then target that official during election year, and make sure they dont get reelcted!! !
Old 08-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by travie319
So at least some of you guys agree...now, anybody know who introduced the bill? How do we find out who the "scumbucket" is?
Old 08-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Great discussion about this here. I havent posted here in quite a while. But when I saw a thread about this over on corner-carvers I felt that I should add my two cents wherever possible. I drive an EVO now and because of that am one of the primary targets of this thinly vieled attempt at profiling.
Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.
How many of you have a sticker or two from your favorite dyno shop, tuner, car club......... you are now lumped in with us sport compact/ ricers. Got some extra gauges in an a pillar pod, or window tint according to this Drag-net the police think they have a right to treat you like a criminal. The Sport compacts are just the current target of a possibly illegal program. Had this been enacted in the late 80s early 90s it would have been the pro streeters they were going after. This is one of those times when all auto enthusiasts need to work together to defeat this (yea even the Ford guys.....and GASP mabye we should get those two wheeled nut jobs in on this too )

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout California generating significant revenue for the state and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.
Another side to this program is revenue generation.

Originally Posted by rob c
So at least some of you guys agree...now, anybody know who introduced the bill? How do we find out who the "scumbucket" is?
It isnt a bill it is a police program to target a certian profile of auto enthusiast. This isnt going up for a vote it is being enacted as we speak. What they are doing is using laws currently on the books to provide probable cause to pull you over search your vehicle,ticket and possibly arrest you.

All I can say is get SEMA and possibly the ACLU involved in this.

Last edited by DamanC; 08-11-2005 at 02:18 AM.

Quick Reply: CHP wants to crack down on Modded Cars