Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Any quality custom exhaust shops?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any quality custom exhaust shops?

I'm looking for someone/shop to custom fabricate a exhaust system for my car.

Does anyone know of any person/shops in Norcal area that can fabricate a mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust using back purged(optional) TIG welding?

I know it's really specific, but any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Off-topic, but what is "back purged"?
Old 08-28-2005, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

I think he means that the inside of the pipe is positively pressurized with an inert gas like argon so that the welding can be done without the weld surfaces oxidizing. Doing this ensures better weld strength and longevity.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leaftye
I think he means that the inside of the pipe is positively pressurized with an inert gas like argon so that the welding can be done without the weld surfaces oxidizing. Doing this ensures better weld strength and longevity.
To be honest, I don't know what it is, but here's the difference between the 2. It will increase strengh of the welds and also, though not much, better flow. This is ideal for butt welds when building headers and not necessary for exhaust, but if someone can do this I can trust his work quality.

Last edited by kim307; 08-29-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Suspended Sponsor

I personally do TIG, MIG, HELIARC, and meny other types of welding in-house. I have experemented with the argon backside purge type welding and it basically makes the backside a little nicer. I really don't think it is necessary though, I have really good luck with just prepping the material very well & using standard TIG and I can make it very pretty and strong. Let me know if you are interested, I know we are a ways out from you but this type of fab work is not real easy to find in CA.

-Bryan
Old 08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Teching In

He is looking for a NorCal shop.

I'm also looking for a quality NorCal shop to install my SW Catback and weld it up.
Someone who will take the time to address some of the design flaws on the GTO.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Teching In

The only shop that I know of so far is Hytech Exhaust in LA area.

And now your shop, Race-Prep in Palm Springs area....

Both kinda far....I went to Magnum Performance in Campbell, but they don't do any custom exhaust fabrication anymore.

All other shops in this area will just put the pipes on the car and just arc weld it....it's ugly as shiet and not very strong at all.

I don't mind driving down to LA, but I don't know what shop would work on my car and get it done in one day, or at most over the weekend. That's why I'm looking for a local shop.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:15 AM
Suspended Sponsor

Thats understandable, if you can't find anyone we are here, and Jim at Hi Tech does UNBELIEVEABLE work, but is VERY expencive. He did a header for us and if yo want to see it its in our news section on our website, but it cost .......$5,000.00 and you get what you pay for!

-Bryan
Old 08-31-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try synergy in fremont or newtech in hayward, they both do awesome stuff
Old 08-31-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh btw, nick the owner of newtech performance just recently dyno tuned at 1000+ rwhp/tq single turbo small block saleen mustang, in case people think his dyno isn't fit

edit: sorry i had a link up but just realized newtechs not a sponsor, pm me if you want the link.

and ya, synergy can take good care of you, i hear only good things from both shops

Last edited by SIK02SS; 09-01-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

speedee muffler off monterey in san jose, ca is going to do my duals in about a week ill let u know how that goes if u want, but ive heard good things, theres a few people on this board that have had good experiences with them.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:53 PM
Banned

We can pretty much build anything you want out of exhaust, I have done a few one off systems, but I cant do the welding you require. That technique is manley used for titanium.

rick
Old 09-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kim307
I'm looking for someone/shop to custom fabricate a exhaust system for my car.

Does anyone know of any person/shops in Norcal area that can fabricate a mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust using back purged(optional) TIG welding?

I know it's really specific, but any help would be appreciated.
I do it but I'm located in Phoenix, AZ. If someone wants to do stainless without protecting the inside, RUN and fast. The inside of the joint will look like lava is spewing out, definitely not good for flow especially when you're paying good money for 304 SS.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Suspended Sponsor

Originally Posted by METAL MAN
I do it but I'm located in Phoenix, AZ. If someone wants to do stainless without protecting the inside, RUN and fast. The inside of the joint will look like lava is spewing out, definitely not good for flow especially when you're paying good money for 304 SS.
Well if that is the case I wonder what you are doing diffrently? I worked at a header manufacturer for over a year doing almost nothing but stainless weldinag and I NEVER used back purge welding and it all looked flawless and NEVER did I see a crack. So mabe I was just lucky? I doubt it, that would be a lot of luck! I am not saying not to do it that way I am just saying my way works very well. Also I would think it would make more sence to use 409 not 304 as it IS easier to weld and does not cost near as much, and is also is just as good for corrosion.

-Bryan

Quick Reply: Any quality custom exhaust shops?