Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

$$Longtube Fine in California??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $$Longtube Fine in California??

I've got shorties on right now and have been thinking about doing LT's for awhile now. I'm not worried about the sniffer, just wonder what the fine is if you get caught with them on. Has anyone been caught running them? Sacramento is cracking down pretty hard now and pulling cars over and checking for CARB #'s, so I'm weighing the risk.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMOP do it..u can always find ways around smog...and some people pass smog with them on
Old 10-11-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

I thought it would just be a fix it ticket.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

actually if the cop was smart and knew what he was looking at .He would impound your car. If you have cats with the long tubes you should be ok.Stay away from pomona /ontario the cops are VERY well trained on aftermarket parts and legal/illegal add ons. They impound and keep your **** if you street race.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

One reason why I'm planning on running cats with my Kooks.

I try to stay away from the 909 in general

Seriously, I heard that the cops out there are pretty strict.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thorn
actually if the cop was smart and knew what he was looking at .He would impound your car. If you have cats with the long tubes you should be ok.Stay away from pomona /ontario the cops are VERY well trained on aftermarket parts and legal/illegal add ons. They impound and keep your **** if you street race.

Will they impound your car if they see LT's, or only if you are running an offroad pipe with your LT's?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

If the car is extremely loud they may look underneath. BUT now a lot of cops are looking for the C.A.R.B exempt stickers or asking for the documentation on your intake and so on. A buddy of mine had long tubes NO cats on his 99 stang and got popped. His car was impounded and he was fined $2500 for a federal emmisions offense
Old 10-11-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got pulled over for a different offense. But the cop looked under the car and saw no cats. Went to court and believe it or not, The cat offense was thrown out
Old 10-11-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

hmmm, does anyone know if a FAST 90/90 is CARB exempt? If not, has anyone ever sanded of the fast logo and painted their intake black?

I do see ricers pulled over now with hoods opened up and cops going through the engine compartment. THis is during my commute to work, not after a street race.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

The FAST intake is not CARB exempt. Also, unless you have an 01-02' you'd run into the problem of no EGR.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Banned

in California it is illegal to modify the engine with anything having to do with:

- fuel delivery
- air intake
- air exhaust

which includes: cams, intake manifolds, filters, CAI, Exhaust manifolds/headers, o2 sensors, fuel injectors, fuel pumps, fuel filters, etc.

i found out the hard way after modifying my motor. As for the cops busting people for aftermarket stuff -- this was in the news a little while ago, and someone i know is a O.C Sherrif. they just had a major convention in San Diego about a month ago, and the SD Police were training EVERY COP in ca (CHP/Sherrif/Local) how to spot "street racing modifications" (what they call them) and what to do and how to bust you.

for example, stickers on a windshield and/or rear window is a "Street racing mod" and you arent allowed to have them. if a cop sees you with them they can (if they are feeling mean) pull you over and give you a ticket - as well as check for other modifications (Which they will do if they suspect you are gonna go street racing). having cutouts on your car, even if they are closed, are illegal for street bound vehicles. having no muffler on your car (read: loudmouth owners) is illegal even if it came from the factory that way. (the law reads every car must be equipped with a functioning muffler at all times)

they have also been trained how to spot aftermarket exhaust systems, aftermarket intakes, and WILL ask for CARB numbers if they pull you over, if you dont have it on you, then they will ticket you. if you have enough mods they will impound the car. its the "new world order" in california. welcome to the **** state.

(p.s. im just telling you what my o.c. sherriff friend told me)
Old 10-11-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

You'd think more of the aftermarket parts producers and performance shops would be lobbying these things. It will progress to the point you CAN'T touch your own car here in California. When that happens the companies who make all the aftermarket parts are going to lose ALOT of business. People are already feeling the hit of CA's latest crackdown on car modifications. I know of one big performance shop here in town going out of business for this reason alone. Many more people are leary of modding their cars without CARB approved parts, which are few and far between. These lame laws will eventually kill our hobbie.

Last edited by Redneck Z; 10-11-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Some of the laws are just stupid. I mean, I can see if you remove cvertain smog devices, but the law that states that it is illegal to install the cat in another position other that its stock location is just stupid. THis IMO makes people run gutted cats. If the car has the smog equipmwent and can pass the sniffer then it should be allowed.

Yet trucks and busses that spew out that black smoke are OK. What the response to that? But that isn't harmful. Hmmm, I can see black smoke coming out of the exhaust, how many parts per million does it take to become visible?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know why we can't just adopt laws requiring smog equipment to be hooked up and a sniffer test as the bottom line. If we didn't have any of the SENSLESS laws requiring CARB approved parts, the aftermarket industry would thrive, we'd be happy, and the hippies could sleep soundly at night knowing that our cars were blowing clean. This would make everyone happy. Why aren't there any groups to counter the liberal hippies that want to put an end to our freedom to work on our cars? I guess we deserve to have our freedom taken away because we won't stand up for ourselves. No ones gonna speak up until it's too late. Alot of people are ignorant and don't even realize that our hobbie is already half way out the door, and being pushed the rest of the way out as we speak. One day soon, our lawmakers are going to pass a law that will completely stop your ability to touch your car. There is only talk of this right now, but with no one opposing, it's only a matter of time. Thats where we are headed.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

I've been driving my car with a big cam and off road x pipe for around 15,000 miles and havent even gotten a ticket for any of my mods yet.

I dont give a **** about california smog rules etc.
thats my educated opinion.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

That's why there will come a time when you won't be driving a car like yours anymore, because most people have the same I don't give a crap attitude, I'll do what I want. One day you will be giving a crap when they put a stop to modding your car. It is comming to the point where they will be watching you so closely and the fines will be so stiff, you just won't be able to do it anymore. I'm glad you've been fine so far, but when the enforcement gets more strict, and it will...Do you really think it takes a genious to listen to your car and realize that it is far from legal?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Why aren't there any groups to counter the liberal hippies that want to put an end to our freedom to work on our cars?
They all left when they passed similar laws in the 90s taking away our gun ownership rights.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Thats probably why there aren't enough people to counter the "liberal hippies"...they all leave instead of speaking out. I'm about ready to leave myself. Nothing will anything ever change because half of the people have the "I don't car attitude" and the other half are the hippies who are free to impose their will.

Last edited by Redneck Z; 10-11-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Yup, I was ready to leave last year as well. I was born and raised here, and you couldnt keep me here any longer. Well, it turns out you can, or that is my wifes ex can so I have to wait at least 3 more years until my step daughter turns 18, then we're outta here!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not too hard to make tons of power CARB legal. That being said, it costs more money. Stick with an LS6 intake and a supercharger... some 1 3/4 shorties. prolly do well over 500 at the wheels and be 100% california smog legal.

That being said, it isn't too hard to not get in trouble. Usually you have to do something to get pulled over. Look like a professional person who can afford a lawyer, don't do stupid things while driving around and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: $$Longtube Fine in California??