Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Drag cars and registration/insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drag cars and registration/insurance

I was just curious how one goes about building a drag car using a modern platform, such as an '02 SS, and dealing with registering and smogging the car in Cali.

It has to be registered and insured to compete in racing right? Do you just register it in as a race car and are only allowed to drive it a certain amount of miles a year or something?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:12 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SStick Bandit
I was just curious how one goes about building a drag car using a modern platform, such as an '02 SS, and dealing with registering and smogging the car in Cali.

It has to be registered and insured to compete in racing right? Do you just register it in as a race car and are only allowed to drive it a certain amount of miles a year or something?
My 02 is non opped and not insured.My Convertible is still in previous owers name and my Street car is still currently registered so if need be I just switch plates.But I don't run my car @ the Street Legal events so I don't have to worry about having current info.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race cars do not need to be registered/insured to compete at events. If you attend a "Street Legal Drags" event, they often times do require registration/insurance. Our Z28 hasn't been in DMVs record for a while now , nor do we plan on bringing it back into the system.

Are you asking for an all out, race only drag car? Or for a strip/street vehicle that can be driven on public roads?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Race cars do not need to be registered/insured to compete at events. If you attend a "Street Legal Drags" event, they often times do require registration/insurance. Our Z28 hasn't been in DMVs record for a while now , nor do we plan on bringing it back into the system.

Are you asking for an all out, race only drag car? Or for a strip/street vehicle that can be driven on public roads?

Full race car = no need to be registered/insured...gotcha.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya when i bought my mustang project my mom went down to the dmv and registered it as non op, so I had to pay the 4 years of registration due since it was last registered they thought it was illegal to keep it out of the system there went a few hundred bucks for nothing...