Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Trip to San Diego/Tijuana

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trip to San Diego/Tijuana

I found out that I can fly to San Diego from Massachusetts for $75 after fees and taxes, and I hate winters up here like you wouldn't believe, so I'm thinking of a Winter Break trip. This trip is definetly budget minded. Unfortunately I'm only 20, so I can't rent a car. I want to go to Mexico, but it would cost a lot more to fly there. I'm thinking maybe just getting a cab to the border from San Diego, then trying to get another cab to get into Tijuana. Other options are renting a scooter or just a bicycle, but I don't know their policies on taking it over the border and I don't want to be responsible if a several thousand dollar moped gets stolen in Tijuana. Any other ideas on how to get around? Are cabs plentiful in Tijuana? Is it 100% Spanish speaking down there, or could my highschool Spanish classes get me by?

Also, any recommendations on what to do? I'm thinking maybe a day in San Diego, then 4 or so days in Tijuana. If there's nothing cool to do in San Diego, maybe we'll just cross the border on the first day as it seems everything is a lot cheaper down there. Any good hostels, restaraunts or bars on either side of the border? How busy is the border? The Canadian border takes about 2 hours to cross on a busy day, and I'm guessing the Mexi border is a little stricter. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

You don't want to go to tj for a vacation, trust me.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

6 hours is all you need in tj to not want to go back. If your looking for 4 days go to ensenada instead. Its south more in baja california from tj.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Launching!

San Diego should be just good enough to go on vacation. But people in TJ speak English too, high school spanish is good enough too. But i would not recommend going to TJ unless you are with at least one Mexican, or someone that knows their way around there, cus its not exatly a safe place!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't take a cab to the border, the trolley will get you there much cheaper.

Cabs are plentiful in Mexico, but pre-negotiate your price and destination.

As for crossing the border, if it takes you more than 10 seconds to get from the US to Mexico, go back to Massachusetts and don't come back. As for coming back to the US, I've never spent more than an hour in line coming across on foot.

If you stay in TJ for the night, make sure you stay with friends. There is a Residence Inn in TJ that has great rates compared to what you would find in San Diego. Personally, I would head further south if I was staying for more than a night. Low on funds and don't have transportation? Try Rosarito. Got around $300? Take a Carnival cruise from San Diego to Ensenada for 3-4 days.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

make you sure you go with somenone that knows there way around otherwise you might find yourself a target in TJ, they usually like to mess with the out of towners there....go to rosarito or ensenada. Whatever you do dont get caught pissing on the street, they will beat you and take you to Jail untill your buds bail you out.....dont ask me how I know this
Old 07-04-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah I have family in TJ and i dont even like to visit them And i like them too.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:58 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by CHELOZ28
make you sure you go with somenone that knows there way around otherwise you might find yourself a target in TJ, they usually like to mess with the out of towners there....go to rosarito or ensenada. Whatever you do dont get caught pissing on the street, they will beat you and take you to Jail untill your buds bail you out.....dont ask me how I know this

that is definitely what I would of done myself...I am for sure over going out their if they kick your *** just for pissing on the street all faded.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, but think about how disrespectful that is of someone else's country. You're a visitor.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

PM me I'll show you Adaletas and the Hong Kong club.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Why pay for *****? When you can get it free?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know anybody from there at all. I was thinking that I tan like a **** and could just wear a sombrero and sunglasses, and as long as I didn't open my mouth I wouldn't stand out.

If I can find some type of transportation it sounds like I'll be heading further south. That Carnival Cruise doesn't sound too bad either, I'll look into it. I always heard how bad it was in Tijuana, but I figured it was exaggerated due to that fact that I always hear how bad NYC and Boston are but go there all the time and have never had a problem.

Thanks but no thanks Danger. This is a BUDGET trip.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

TJ is not that nice of a place; all you'll find there is a bunch of dumbass SD and OC high schoolers. If anything head out to Rosarito/Ensenada.

You might wanna just hit up Pacific/Ocean/Mission Beach or La Jolla. You still get the party vibe and all that, but without the "I'M GONNA GIT RAPED" feeling.

North County (where I live) is great if you just wanna chill, but there isn't a whole **** ton to do at night besides maybe the Belly Up or some of the Oceanside clubs.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:13 AM
12 Second Club

if you go to t.j go on friday to go racing it's big down there...
if you go hit me up ill set you up with my buddy he lives right there and go's racing every weekend....
Old 07-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

what streets ? in tj. I heard of that; is it drag racing or street racing.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TJ is the dirtiest ****** place i've ever been too!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Why pay for *****? When you can get it free?
Spoken like a true virgin...
Old 01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

TTT
Leaving soon. Staying in Rosarito/Puerto Nuevo, will probably take a few trips to TJ just for the hell of it. Looking for cockfights and drag races, everything else is pretty easy to find on the net. Oh, except surf lessons/board rental. If anyone knows anything about that stuff that is local (taking cabs all around the area) please PM me!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you still flying into SD then going to MX? How are you getting around once in MX?

As far as Rosarito, get any pharmaceuticals and ***** in TJ. Rosarito is more respectable and you can't just walk up to any local and ask for ***** and Vicodin.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

if your going down there....

for clubs check out papas & beer,Iggys.
When you get the Late night drunken munchies, Rock and Roll taco..if im not mistaking they close around 4 am on the weekends and the food wont get you sick.

if you want some good Lobster and place to lounge by the water at a cheap price.. puerto nuevo, its a cool spot.

looking for fine dining...check out 'the castle' great place to take a chick

Quick Reply: Trip to San Diego/Tijuana