Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Need Help ASAP! Car wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help ASAP! Car wont start!

I tried starting my car after listening to music for an 1hr. The car wont start at all. I know its not the battery because all my lights start and seem 100% sure. The car wont turn over at all.its almost as if I was trying to start the car without pressing the clutch. My security light came on and stayed on about 2 weeks ago. the car seemed fine. All started the car this morning when I went to work and drove the car and it was fine.All my ignition lights come on. I did disconect the battery for about 20 min. It got rid of the security light, but now it flashes. I had to get the car towed to my home. Anyone know what it can be? starter?or maybe somethingto do with the security system?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you tried cleaning the resistor on the key yet? It could help a bit.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF did you do....
Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Banned

yea check out the resister! maybe its dirty or lost resistance.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

check simple things first , like fuses, then really check the battery by putting a multimeter to it.
Next thing to do would be mess with the starter as from your description its not even turning over. give that thing a nice tap with a hammer. note- I will not accept any liability for this action-- its a temp fix if this helps to get the car started I would remove the starter and take it to autozone to test (free).
You could also check that all grounds look to be in proper order, and that the power line to starter doesnt have any corrosion on it.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like your VATS system. Try cleaning the resistor contact on the key. Also spray some contact cleaner into the ignition switch to clean the contacts inside. There is some good ifo in here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=vats
Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

show car turned into not running car lol

try a spare ignition key
Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

my security light came on like 6 months ago..i have no idea why it did either...i was listening to the radio for maybe 30 minutes and when i turn they key to run on the car the light stayed on..i tried cleaning the key and searching here for solutions but gave up...although my car hasnt stop running im pretty sure that light is going to bite me on the *** one day/ night when i go to turn it on..its still on
Old 05-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Banned

get a pencil eraser and rub it on the chip on the key. easy cleaning.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:31 AM
9 Second Club

bump for you buddy
Old 05-14-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Regular

must be all the chrome interfering with the ignition.lol
Old 05-14-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just because the interior lights work, doesn't mean the battery has enough charge to turn the motor over. I'd try taking the battery in and test/charge it. Then I would check for fuses, etc.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 AM
12 Second Club

Did you try the super obvious one of getting out of the car locking it and unlocking it (with the key fob) then getting in and trying again?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by m6ttop
must be all the chrome interfering with the ignition.lol
nice
Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Just because the interior lights work, doesn't mean the battery has enough charge to turn the motor over. I'd try taking the battery in and test/charge it. Then I would check for fuses, etc.
x2. Get a reading from a multimeter
Originally Posted by Almostryan3
Did you try the super obvious one of getting out of the car locking it and unlocking it (with the key fob) then getting in and trying again?
good point.

there are tons of possibilities here but the most complex would be VATS.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:43 AM
Launching!

ur battery is dead...#1

u need to clean the resister and lock cylinder....#2

if ur alarm system is aftermarket.check your wiring or pull fuse and it will disable it...gotta love those aftermarket alarm systems#3

go buy a techII and hook it up so it can read your vats system and ur bcm to give u correct problem#4

the steering columns in the f bodys have several issues with wiring expecially the stupid wiper and blinker controller o yah and the stupid tilt ***** with everything and doesnt hold properly. under enough stress on a hard pull to the left it can colapse.lmao..anyways what i meant to say is u may have pinched an ignition wire #5

bad ignition relay#6

bad starter relay#7

bad Starter from low voltage starts from ur already existing low amperage battery#8

and many more..these are the more common issues with 15A if u would have picked up the phone when i called u back u would have had sumwhere to start at least..

also this is why us f body owners need to have a "working dd" cause using ur 7-15yr old f body as ur dd is just asking for problems let alone a waste of gas money.

if u want u can disconnect your battery and touch the positive and negative wires together for a few minutes and you will have a stock ecu at that point. ALTHOUGH FOR YOU I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SINCE IT WILL DELETE YOUR TUNE! just a train of thought
Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Try changing the blinker fluid.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

this is exactly what happened to my car two days ago ... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2018786
Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yep my light has been on for a while just havent had the time/money to change out the whole lock cylinder/key check your key w/ a meter there is a website where you can check your resistance here is the walkthrough for the VATS system bypass
and here is the website to find out what resistance you have http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key do you know how to use a meter ? I had to do this bypass to my girlfriends car....

read your key with a meter and find out what resistance it has, then plug it into your ignition and check the resistance off of those wires, if they are not the same then your key cylinder is fucked you can try to use some contact cleaner, but if it does read correctly either your key is fucked (bad resistance rating) and then you have to goto dealer with your vin number and they will give you the resistance your supposed to have as long as you never changed your vats/bcm
Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by eddielb
yep my light has been on for a while just havent had the time/money to change out the whole lock cylinder/key check your key w/ a meter there is a website where you can check your resistance here is the walkthrough for the VATS system bypass
and here is the website to find out what resistance you have http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key do you know how to use a meter ? I had to do this bypass to my girlfriends car....

read your key with a meter and find out what resistance it has, then plug it into your ignition and check the resistance off of those wires, if they are not the same then your key cylinder is fucked you can try to use some contact cleaner, but if it does read correctly either your key is fucked (bad resistance rating) and then you have to goto dealer with your vin number and they will give you the resistance your supposed to have as long as you never changed your vats/bcm
This is some good info
Old 05-14-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

if it dont go... chrome it
j/k man hope u get it figured out

Quick Reply: Need Help ASAP! Car wont start!