Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

can anyone throw me a clue to this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anyone throw me a clue to this issue?

hey what up fellas i was wondering if anyone can tell me what this number located on the passanger side of the engine is all about? the number is 241. um well just throwing suggestions out in the open, but is this the built number?

Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

its the type of heads your ls1 has....241's for example a c5 z06 has 243's since it has the ls6 motor
Old 07-14-2008, 03:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAD-GTO
its the type of heads your ls1 has....241's for example a c5 z06 has 243's since it has the ls6 motor
Roger that ghost rider
Old 07-14-2008, 03:27 AM
Teching In

OHHHHHH! man i feel stupid for asking that but at the same time now i know what it means...thanks for the info fellas!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:28 AM
12 Second Club

Everyone has to start somewhere man no worries
Old 07-14-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

no problem man. when you're new to some things there is never a stupid question!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Teching In

aight man cool thanks man....to you man!!! oh yeah um another question. my camaro is a 2001 z. so this type of camaro came out with a different type of intake manifold than the 98-2000 camaro's right?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:38 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah it has the LS6 manifold rather than the LS1 manifold. Flows very well and for basically stock car its fine until you start going to a bigger cam and heads. Or if your going direct port nitrous then your going to need another manifold. But untill that be happy you have the good manifold!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:46 AM
Teching In

"VERY NICE" (BORAT)....aight cool cool thanks man. these are my future mods for my car. i want to get the fast 90 throttle body and manifold (but since i got the ls6manifold a buddy told me that it wouldnt make a difference if i get the fast 90 manifold) i am also reading up on the ms3 cam and would like to get one. then get the mids bbk headers from a buddy of mine. and i am also looking into getting some differential gears. what do you think of my list?

so far right now the car has a volant cold air intake, hurst short shifter, slp loudmouth 2 exhaust, and the hypertech programmer.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:05 AM
12 Second Club

For a car with stock heads and cam only I wouldn't worry about upgrading to the FAST90/90 set up yet. Honestly for all those mods I would take that money and invest in a nice rear end. A moser 9 inch or if you have the money I hear the super 60 (i think thats the right one) is suppose to be as strong as a 9 inch but its also lighter. Its just more expensive. With a good rear end with some 4.11 gears and a good clutch and some big slicks the car should run pretty good once you have some seat time. Then you can work on launching and shifting and then start building the motor. But in a manual car I would start from the back and work your way forward. Thats just my opinion though, everyone has one and only mine is right! haha jk but seriously everyone will give you different option but I would seriously take in that consideration.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:07 AM
12 Second Club

Also get rid of that hypertech programmer and get a real dyno tune. Exhaust is all based on personal preference but long tubes are your best bet if you don't mind being smog illegal.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:08 AM
12 Second Club

Actually, my prior recommendations was assuming you want to drag race the car a lot. What do you want to do with it haha should of asked that first.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

clean you're car bro...all that dirt on ur engine is good for an ounce or two of weight reduction
Old 07-14-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

is the car auto or stick? if its auto then your rear end will hold up for a while still, do performance stuff.

the fast 90 (or now fast 92) do flow better than the stock LS6 manifold, but without full bolt ons, i wouldnt waste the money.

full bolt-ons = air lid, free ram air, MAF (debatable), throttle body, t-stat (debatable), headers, y-pipe, and catback exhaust. after that id start looking at a cam.

the reason i say cam is this...when they upgraded the manifold to LS6, then downgraded the cam to a truck cam. so your LS1 is similar in output to a 2000 model because of the cam.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Almostryan3
Actually, my prior recommendations was assuming you want to drag race the car a lot. What do you want to do with it haha should of asked that first.

lol...um well i really dont want to drag out the car. i want it to be somewhat of a weekend cruiser but with the power to bring down just about anything that comes at you in the streets when you are on the freeway. know what i mean? lol. its a convertible and kind of heavier than a coupe and putting a roll cage on that is not really an option for me. it does have a manual transmission. and the reason for the mods is cuz i am tired of listening to it and knowing that its pretty much a stock car. i want the car's ***** to drop and handle some pretty good power. as for the headers i really dont mind being illegal i already have the connections to get any vehicle passed. and the mids right now are being sold to me for 150 so in a way i would like to jump on those since they are name brand(bbk). but do you think i should disregard those entirely and get long tubes?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Assassin66
clean you're car bro...all that dirt on ur engine is good for an ounce or two of weight reduction
lmao...yeah ive been lagging it on that. its been a while since ive done that. i usually keep it really clean but i procrastinate a lot..lol
Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some freemods that you can do in your free time and get a good gain from it. But do not port your mass air sensor
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/wilwaxu/throttlebody.html

descreen maf: 2-3 horsepower
ported tb with bumpstop mod: 5-8 horsepower
Free ram air: you get more power the faster you go
Tb bypass: like one or two horsepower
Fernco mod: get fernco tubing from home depot and make your won smooth bellow that goes inbetween your tb and maf maybe a horsepower or two.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Teching In

^^^ok ok thanks man. i've been wanting to find out how to do the porting on the throttle body.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah disregard the previous recommendation then haha. If you just want it to make power and be good from a roll I would look at full bolt ons and a head cam package. As for bolt ons, any lid is good they are pretty much all the same or you can stick with your volant set up I have seen it work, a lot of people say they don't but I have seen them work and make power just fine. Definitely go with long tubes then some kind of custom true dual set up or a Y pipe that has an electric cut out. After that I'd stat doing all the little things you can in preparation for a H/C package. Now if you don't want to go digging into the motor to fly cut and such I wouldn't suggest going to big on the cam, the 228 cams make good all around power for a street car, and if you can't afford to do heads at the same time they work well with stock heads then you can save up to get a really nice set of heads. All that should put you well on the way to your goals of having a really quick street car.

Quick Reply: can anyone throw me a clue to this issue?