What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Getting a WS6: Your thoughts on the deal

Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a WS6: Your thoughts on the deal

Hey Ive been on here for years but not really posted anthing cuz Im an owner of a 01 camd v6 Firebird so it would be out of place here. I currently have my car up for sale for 8 grand. I found a 2001 black on black WS6 with 90k miles. It has a rebuilt title where it was hit n the front drivers quarter. The bumper and fender were replaced and the work looks fine as the guy had the entire repainted with Dupont paint. I drove the car and it felt fine IMO. Right now the car is stock except for it has Hooker LTs 1 7/8 into stock exhaust and it has a line lock kit in it. Not sure of the brand on the line lock kit. The only thing that it needs looks wise as the front plate filler and the pass door panel replaced as the arm rest is coming from the panel it seemed. I have both parts to replace it these itemes with. I also plan on getting the car buffed just for safe measure on my part. The only thing the car has that I dont care much for is that he had the door handles and locks shaved and added door popers. The door popers work fine. I just dont care for them. He has the original locks for the car and he bought me another door so Id have a handle. I can get another door in great shape for 100 bucks. I wouldnt fixe the door handles til this winter after the first of the year. He only put 2k on the car snce he bought it in Jan. of last year and hes kept it in his garage the entire time and never has driven it in rain or snow. He has even undercoated the car.

Here is the craigslist add:
http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1929855815.html

Ok so here is the deal on the car. He origianlly wanted 8500 which I know was too high even though the car still books for 10500 with the rebuilt title as stated by Carfax when I ran it. Now I got him down to 7k cash and my Ruger SR9 9mm pistol thats never been fired. The pistol is worh 400 from pawn shops. I cnat afford more than 8100 right now so this car is in m range with cash to spair for mods and such. Ive looked locally, on here, cars.com, autotrader and Ive nto come up with anything. So let me knwo what you guys think of this deal.

Thanx, Chris H.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, if you're going to mod, looking for a WS6 specifically is a waste of time and money - you're going to replace everything but the hood anyway, so you're paying a premium for a badge and a hood.

Rebuild title would instantly knock it out of consideration for me, but these cars aren't rare if you open your search radius up and aren't picky about color.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Where in WV are you from?

Well Ive searched up to a 300 mile radius on the sites. All I come up with is 114k + miles or cars taht have been heavily moded and ran hard. Id like to find one that dont have incredible high mileage or that hasnt been heavily moded. Color isnt a big deal to me as long as its not Arctic White.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

If you can travel a little bit i'd try to find another. If you just want to upgrade to a V8 there are tons of good deals out there on cars that weren't involved in any accidents. The rebuilt title could come back to haunt you if you ever needed to sell the car
Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I say keep looking. The title is would be a no for me.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Keep looking.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I almost bought a 04 GTO with a rebuilt title before the guys here talked some sense into me. Then I drove around 600 miles total and have my Z, I couldn't be happier.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rebuilt title would ruin the deal for me. Find something else...you can get a Z with a clean title for 7 with less miles probably
Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
The rebuilt title could come back to haunt you if you ever needed to sell the car
This and also maybe some trouble just for you to register it under your name.

Keep looking and don't be picky about the color if you can get the car in a nicer shape. If you can also find a non ws6 car, get it and just do the visual upgrades.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Teching In

I dont want a Z really as I like the looks of the TAs better.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Firehawknwv
Where in WV are you from?

Well Ive searched up to a 300 mile radius on the sites. All I come up with is 114k + miles or cars taht have been heavily moded and ran hard. Id like to find one that dont have incredible high mileage or that hasnt been heavily moded. Color isnt a big deal to me as long as its not Arctic White.
Up in the eastern panhandle. Not a whole lot of f-bodies here and most of the owners are either old guys or ******* high school kids. I had to drive down to the Chesapeake Bay to find my car.

Hard thing with these cars is finding a low-mileage, lightly-modded one for a decent price. Most are either stock cars with a lot of miles that are mid-priced, bone stock with no mods and hardly any miles for $23k+, or lots of miles/used up for $7-10k.

As long as the car's been well-maintained , high-mileage isn't so much a reliability issue as one to whether you want to spend the money on a car with that many miles.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Yea its hard to find a good priced one with low miles and not highly moded.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Teching In

I decided not go get that rebuilt WS6 and the owner got all p!ssy with me about it. Sayin he already had another buyer that he called cuz he knew I was gonna back out among other choice phrases. I just told him that he had the car sold so whats the big deal. I dont understand some people. I think I found a local 02 WS6 with 26k miles on it tahts been garage kept. Heard he wants 14k for it which that sound about right for NADA and KBB value but Im sure I can talke him down to 11k or so cuz hes been sitting on teh car for quiet a while.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Smart move! The owner has no right to be upset. It is part of the game when selling a car.
That 26k miles car sounds good at that price. If it checks out completely, grab it! $11,000 is too low but you can always try.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only reason that seller was upset because the car was probably a headache.

When I got my first car, the seller thought I was backing out when really all I said was "I can't pick up the car today and give you the rest of cash since I got called in for a shift at work". Later on I found out the car needed a catalytic converter so he was in a rush to sell it.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert

When I got my first car, the seller thought I was backing out when really all I said was "I can't pick up the car today and give you the rest of cash since I got called in for a shift at work". Later on I found out the car needed a catalytic converter so he was in a rush to sell it.
To be honest though, people will come up with a LOT of bullshit to back out of buying a car without straight-up saying they don't want the vehicle. I sold a lifted K5 on craigslist last year and some of the **** I got between asking if I'd take 25% of my asking price for cash (uh, bro, I'm not gonna take a credit card or check, the hell else you think I expect payment in?), to people asking if I'd drive the truck 2 hours so their "mechanic buddy" could check it out.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

If your going to mod it anyway your not going to be easy on it driving it, buying a car thats been ridden hard and is still in one piece and runs right is better then buying a stock one or nearly stock one that you might mod and problems will show up later. If someone else already modded it if they found any problems they have been fixed. As for the car above, it being salvage thats way too much money. Id give him 6k for it. Its close to 100k miles and its a Auto which in 20k-30k miles your going to be replacing anyway. If hes got a line lock kit in that car and hes been using it to do burn outs and such that rear end and that 4l60 are probably not going to be holding up too much longer. If he tells you he hasnt used it hes a lier because it wouldnt be in there if it wasnt going to be used. Find a cheaper non ws6 car with a 6 speed and buy it. Further more last summer i bought mine for 5800 with 102k miles on it, it being a auto and non ws6 and completely stock. 2k later it now has a ws6 hood headers exhaust lid and heads and cam and 112k miles on it.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Smart move, damn a totaled out car.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert

This happened to me, guy wouldnt let me drive it more then a couple miles and found out later he had the service lights reset and i had 2 bad cats. No cats on it now though so it all works out.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Well the guy told me up front that he used the linelock. He bought the car wrecked and fixed it and was gonna make a drag car ou tof it but he neeeded a truck for winter. I told him that my insurance co. didnt like the idea of me insuring a rebuilt car so i told him they didnt want to insure it. He got pissy and said well Ill hook you up with my company and ull get a good deal. I told him Im not gonna take out 2 poliecies with 2 companies because thats to much hastle and dumb. He just seemed way to eager to get rid of the car so it told me there was something else wrong with the car than he was saying. One thing was he had to have the Hooker header on the drivers side pulled away from teh K-frame and my buddy who had a Z28 with those headers said they shouldnt be rubbing the k-fram at all. So that kind of told me the k-frame must have been bent and not replaced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting a WS6: Your thoughts on the deal