What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Selling My 2002 Z28 - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling My 2002 Z28 - Need Advice

A separation from my wife forces me to sell my 2002 Z28. I'm the original owner, and I wanted to keep it forever, but I can't. I need to get a truck or SUV to help with my business, and I'm letting my wife keep my Tahoe for the kids.

The car has been raced and abused. I've gone through the motor twice, well at least some pistons and rings. I've built three turbo systems for the car, and broke some pistons during a lean spike. I replaced four bad pistons with some used ones from a member here.

There is a plethora of problems with the car due to me boosting and tweaking. I planned to fix everything this year and get some forged pistons, new rings and bearings and boost it once more (and break it again), but my wife sucks. We'll, she really doesn't suck, but that's a different story.

I removed the turbo system and welded on some Pep Boys Cherry Bombs as a temporary fix to the open pipes. There are no cats, and it will not pass California smog.

There are some DMV back fees due on the car (~$500).

After a few dozen 60+ MPH burnouts, the stock rear end went south. One of the ring bolts broke and cracked the pumpkin and cover. I welded it up as best I could given the size of the hole. It still leaks a bit from time to time. I put in 4.10s for now. I planned to go with a Moser and 3.42s if I boosted again.

The motor needs to be rebuilt as I mentioned. I would go through with new rings, bearings, oil pump etc. The last time that I checked, the bores were OK. The broken pistons stayed together until I popped them out. A hone should work.

The battery has been relocated to the trunk for turbo fitment, and the radiator has been set upright. There is a square mile of space under the hood for a BIG turbo. I removed the hood latch and went with hood pins. The engine runs cool even in 100 degree weather with the radiator upright.

I had the tranny (M6) rebuilt about 20K miles ago. Again, turbo related I think. The tranny is as smooth as silk. I also got rid of any clutch pedal sticking problems with an aftermarket pressure plate and clutch. Yes Centerforce, but it really does hold. I was surprised to say the least. It's held up to some abuse.

The paint is OK, not perfect, and the interior could use a cleanup. I was going to remove all of the carpeting and rear seats.

It needs new tires and an alignment.

It scares small children when I fire it up.

It ran a 12.8 when it was new, with a few free mods, and it still runs very strong. It still hands many newer muscle cars their asses.

This is a perfect clean slate for a turbo car with the room under the hood. There is room for a large frame turbo and intercooler.

Given all of this, what is the car worth? Please hold the "I'll take it off your hands for $100." posts LOL! I really need advice from you guys on what I should ask. I'm going to be up front with any potential buyer, no secrets.

Thank you in advance.

Holy crap this turned out to be a long post!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pic would help some
Old 07-27-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

A little advice. Put the car away somewhere in storage if at all humanly possible. These personal bad times will pass and you can 'play' with your car again in the future. It just is not worth selling because it isn't worth much more than any F-body roller. Let's face it, the nice modded cars that run well can't even fetch decent money in these times. You will get next to nothing.
Also, to lighten things up a bit, I nominate your post for top post of the year especially this line, "There is a plethora of problems with the car due to me boosting and tweaking. I planned to fix everything this year and get some forged pistons, new rings and bearings and boost it once more (and break it again), but my wife sucks. We'll, she really doesn't suck, but that's a different story."