What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Camaro Z28 50K miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1998 Camaro Z28 50K miles

Just thought that I would post my query here as to the potential value of the car here prior to the classified section.

Here is the list of highlights that I put into the add that I am running on Autotrader. I am hesitant to put the car into Craigslist, because I don't want to deal with 16 year old "test pilots"

Can anyone share any tips on weeding out buyers that just want to drive your car, but have no interest in buying?
  • 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
  • 5.7L LS1 V8
  • 4L60E automatic transmission
  • 49700 miles
  • Navy Blue Metallic
  • Camel Tan interior
  • Leather Seats.
  • 3.42 axle ratio
  • Always Garage Kept. - Never driven in snow, or purposfully drivin in rain.
  • Adult Owned and driven - Never Smoked in
  • 17” American Racing Torq – Thrust II wheels
  • 315 rear tires
  • Spohn Subframe connectors
  • Hotchkis Panhard Bar
  • Hotchkis coil springs
  • Bilstein HD shocks – Strano shocks
  • Corsa Pro 4.0 Exhaust
  • 28mpg mileage
  • Denso Iridium plugs
  • Inspected
Attached Thumbnails 1998 Camaro Z28 50K miles-camaro01sale.jpg   1998 Camaro Z28 50K miles-camaro06sale.jpg   1998 Camaro Z28 50K miles-camaro04sale.jpg   1998 Camaro Z28 50K miles-camaro14sale.jpg  
Old 07-27-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Autotrader is the best bang for the buck right now. Ebay is almost a waste of time plus that $125 fee at the end when you get a qualifying bid is really bad. Even if the sale doesn't go through, they are extremely reluctant to give you back that $125 without jumping through hoops. I agree about CL but if you screen callers thoroughly and meet in public places, then you may be OK. Just put your personal alerts on HIGH! As far as letting young people drive your car, I would stress that there will be NO test drives of the car until a deposit is made. They can completely check out the car and sit in the passenger seat while YOU put the car through the paces. If they seem truly interested, they can give you a few hundred dollars or bring a parent with them. It is that simple. You have to feel out buyers when they arrive at your meeting place. If they show up in a beaten 'pos' don't even think about letting them drive your car. If a husband and wife show up in a well maintained 'whatever' then maybe it will be OK. Every situation is different. If your car is really nice, it will sell itself with your conditions in place.
As far as value, if the car is as nice as you state, has a clean title and Carfax, with those low miles, I would ask upwards to $9,000. If no bites, then lower slowly until you get some nibbles. Low mileage LS1 cars still command a slight 'premium' and are still very desireable but the market is tough right now. You may not get what your car is worth. Ask anything you feel comfortable with but if you read most of this section, it is tough sledding right now. GLWS!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

I always thought some people were a little bit crazy with the no test drives when selling a car was a bit extreme or the "no test drives unless you have all the cash on you" I've never gone to look at a car for over 10k and had cash in hand when I looked at it. What I've always done is go with on the test drive, and pretty much tell them its a test drive and not a race. I've never had anyone rag out my car with me in the passenger seat. And honestly I would list it on craigslist seems to get a lot more flow then autotrader now a days. I actually just bought a new car and pretty much stopped checking autotrader due to lack of cars (seemed like it was all dealers). And I agree with the above about price, I would start around 9k and go down depending how fast you wanna sell it.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. I will try Craigslist with the advice that you gave.

The best thing about selling now is that I want to sell it, but I don't have to sell it. I can hold out for the deal that I want to make.

When I priced the car on Autotrader, I researched the asking prices of the cars in my area. I searched a 100 mile radius of my address and for 1998-2002 Camaros with less than 60K miles. The prices shocked me ranging from about 11 to 20 thousand dollars depending on how many miles and how new the car was. I priced my car out on the low end of that scale and even though I may have priced it 100% wrong, I thought the price was fair.

Craigslist is the same way. I searched the asking price for Z28 Camaros in my area and my price is still on the low end.

I agree with you that the economy right now is not friendly to sell a V-8 in right now.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Yeah, some of the asking prices are borderline but people can ask whatever they want. You will notice that none of them are selling either. Same ad week after week after week. Owners can be in denial sometimes. I like to assist owners here on LS1Tech by offering 'real world pricing' suggestions and prices that I actually see, especially in auctions sometimes. Nothing like black and white real world sales. Best of luck to you and I am glad there is no urgency to sell.

Quick Reply: 1998 Camaro Z28 50K miles