What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2001 Trans am 6-speed (NOT WS6)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Trans am 6-speed (NOT WS6)

I called the guy on this car and he said it was repainted because of rock chips and such, not because of an accident.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2670297602.html
Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

As with anything on CL you really need to do your homework. No mention of how many owners or if a clear title. A Carfax is almost mandatory before you even think about this car. If there are a reasonable amount of owners and no accidents then you can proceed further. The re-paint is a red flag for a car with just 70,000 miles. Maybe it is legit but make sure. Even the Carfax is not 100% accurate when it comes to accidents. Look for a documented maintenance history. If none, then you will need to look at all the fluids and most likely will need to change them all, from Dexcool to the rear end. The price is right (still offer less though) if everything checks out and it doesn't need things, like tires, brakes, clutch. So many unknowns. Best of luck!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get the vin, then post a free local ad on Ebay with the VIN for a free copy of it's Autocheck History Report - if it's clean, then I'd purchase a carfax - These cars were notorious for cheap paint and rock chips on the front bumper are very common. My 58k mile Formula looked like it had been sand blasted it had so many so definitely possible he's telling the truth on the re-paint, but it's also very plausible he's not so do your homework.

As for pice - I'd say $8000 tops assuming it checks out. If it were a WS6 it would be worth his asking price but it's certainly a buyers market right now.

Quick Reply: 2001 Trans am 6-speed (NOT WS6)