What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1-Owner Formula, 85k, M6

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1-Owner Formula, 85k, M6

After looking for a while, this car is my first choice.

It's a 1 owner car, in pretty good condition. M6.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...17347417&Log=0

Carfax checks out for the most part, for the time he DD'd this car he got the oil changed roughly every 3k miles or so, and brought it in alot for basic service and check-ups. Well maintained until 2004, where he only put 20k miles on it from then until 2012.

It's a good car, but it's missing an air lid. I might opt to have a mechanic do an inspection, but I know the car has been maintained pretty well. And compared to other Formulas in slightly, slightly worse condition, you know, paint been in the sun a tad bit too much, or the wheels got some brake dust on them, small fixable things like that, it's about 2-3k above their prices. They're trying to sell it for 8995, but obviously that's a bit high. It's a one owner car but I don't think that's worth a whole 3k over a car with a tad higher miles...

What should I try to get it for? What would be the most you'd pay? I'm going to the dealership on Saturday and I'm going to bring the printed out ads for the other cars, and the NADA (which shows the car for 8k flat retail value.) just to let them know I'm not trying to low ball them, and it puts them in a tight position letting them know I've got other cars in sight.

I've got no experience buying a car, this will be my first, so tips would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And NC01TA, I've narrowed it down to this car. So this time, it's definetely not a waste of your time. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

It sure looks gorgeous in the pictures. I think that Formula is a very good choice, and that $8,000 is top $$. I'd be surprised if they let you walk away if you had 80 $100 bills in hand. Sounds ike you have done as much homework as possible on this car since it is on a dealer's lot. Once there, after driving it and being satisfied with all facets (headlights, power windows are trouble areas) look at all the fluids. Bring paper towels if necessary. Coolant, power steering fluid (notoriously dirty in these LS1 cars), brake fluid, etc.. Figure on flushing everything out if you buy it, especially the coolant, so you will have a fresh start with everything. If you find issues with anything, as long as not a deal breaker, use it as negotiating points, like the air lid. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I figure I don't need to spend any extra money on a mechanic checking it, it's obvious that it's been a weekend car for 8 years straight now, and it's been maintained. I just hope that 8k isn't too little for them, I'm sure they'd profit. This car is at the very, very top of my budget, excluding tax title registration and getting the emissions testing.

I'll admit, I'm a little scared. I could really use some advice at this point, for negotiating. I've been getting some pointers from offline, but I'm still lost on how to sucessfully get the best price for this car. If 8k is the lowest you think they'd go, should I say "Well, the car is missing an air lid, which is going to cost me blah blah blah to replace, I think 7800 is a fair offer?" I want to start off low because I can't go much higher over 8k.. I don't know, if you have any tips on how I could get a good price out of this, they'd be appreciated. Thanks for your help though, I really appreciate it!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Any flaws, the air lid for example, should be used as a negotiating point. If you look carefully I'm sure you will find other things. What are the date codes on the tires? If over 6 years you can tell them that you will have to buy new tires. Almost every manufacturer, from Goodyear to whoever, states on their site to replace tires after 6 years. Cost for new Goodyears?? $800. They'll say BS but this is working for you in your negotiation. I still think you need to just 'show up' with that cash in hand like I earlier stated. That is NOT lowballing. They would think you are a sucker if you didn't at least try. They will make a nice profit on $8,000. No doubt about it. Tell them you have nothing more. That's it! They may let you walk but they will call you within 2 days. This is how it works unless they are full of themselves and don't care. Be cool and calm. Act like you have 'been there, done that'. If you want assistance while at the dealership, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.
Also, while at the top of your budget range, it is never a bad thing to spend good $$ on a car that you feel is a good one. Sure, you can buy that $5,000 car with tons of mileage, and when 2013 rolls around, you will have $7,000- $8,000 into it. Which would have been the better car to own?? Again, hope this one works out. Don't be shy with these people. It would be nice if you could go with someone that has some car buying experience. Older adults are always a 'plus' even if they just sit there and say nothing.

Quick Reply: 1-Owner Formula, 85k, M6