What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

First Post, First LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post, First LS1

Hey guys. lookin to trade my 1972 Pontiac Ventura with a 396/375 swapped into it with a muncie 4 speed behind it and some other crap for a LS1. Im 15 and get my permit in 2 months. Ive drempt about owning a LS1 for the past 9 years (Yeah i was a 6 year old gearhead). I found a 2002 Sunset Orange Camaro ss with 56,000 miles that is spotless but it does have a Automatic and the top is a convertable... the car seems like a good choice for $15,000 which would be about throwing keys price for me car. does it seem like a good deal or should i wait for a T-Top M6 (which is what i really really want). Also ive looked at a M6 t top car and apparently th t56 transmissions have some issues.. this 15 year old doesnt have the time or money to fix that. Any imput on what i should do... keep the ventura, get the A4 'Vert , or wait for a M6 T-top.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Launching!

I was in your shoes this past year. I'm 20 and have a 66 Poncho and REALLY REALLY wanted an M6 Trans am. I would literally be up for days on end thinking about whether I should sell my baby. Caused problems in school I was so anxious and sleep deprived..lol

If you love the Ventura, don't sell it. Simple as that. You'll find a way to get that LS1, whether it be a year or 5. Assuming you also did the work on the car yourself, you can never get the same feeling knowing you fixed this and that and the experiences with that go along with the car. It's YOURS. It's also a classic. If you ever wanna get back into the classic scene, it's gonna be one of two ways.
1. When you're an adult with enough money, buy a classic that someone else restored or preserved and drive away after spending $20k+. Lame IMO
2. Buy a project, spend years fixing it up and eventually drive away. Harder to do as an adult, especially with a family. Ask around

You've done the work (I'm assuming, though no classic is ever "done") appreciate it. I can't understand how some people can own a car for a year or two, claim to develop a relationship with it, and sell for another. What the hell is that? Cars aren't girls. You don't have a fall out and a breakup..unless you blow the motor right after a rebuild.

If you don't love that car, then sell it. You shouldn't have to break your heart just to get an LS1.

Oh, and wait for the car you REALLY want. Don't settle for an auto if you want a stick and a T-Top. F-bodies aren't ferraris. You'll find the one you're looking for at a reasonable price eventually.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by KingJacobo

Oh, and wait for the car you REALLY want. Don't settle for an auto if you want a stick and a T-Top. F-bodies aren't ferraris. You'll find the one you're looking for at a reasonable price eventually.
This is the key statement from above. and I completely agree. Never settle. Sometimes you have to if the car is ultra rare but in this case I doubt you will wait a month or two to find the exact car you want. You may have to travel a bit but it is well worth it. If you buy this '02 Camaro, no matter how nice it is, you will always want or at least think about the 'other' car. Patience!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM

I didnt do the swap but i finished off the swap. the pervious owner got it driveable but i made it reliable. he took it to where you can drive it, i made it so you can drive it everyday. i mean any LS car that i got would make me crazy because to me theres nothing better. i would love to have any of them i just dont want to look like a puss with a automatic convertable. also i dont have the money to get a built tranny for the t56. i guess i need to just man up and not care about looking like a puss with a auto vert because hey, its still a LS1 camaro, my dream car. im not really a fan of the Ventura and i know it will be painful to get back into one when im older but so will finding a 4th gen with fairly low miles. ya know?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

11 years in an automatic 'vert here and no one has ever mentioned the word 'puss' around me. People are giving me a or simply at the car shows I attend. You keep it real nice and no one will think you are a 'puss' unless they are simply jealous (by the way, see what they are driving in comparison). My GT is a 5 speed and the comments are the same. No one says anything about either tranny or that they are 'verts. Girls love 'verts and that is all that matters anyway, right? Nothing wrong with automatics except in the mind of immature teens so you could actually run into a few of those at your school. Ignore them and let them wish they had a LS1 as a teenager. Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply: First Post, First LS1