What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Selling my car soon, what can I get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling my car soon, what can I get?

Hey guys. The time has come to sell one of my F-Bodies and due to a salvage title, I'm unsure what a fair price to ask would be so I'd like a little help.

1994 Camaro Z28 Hardtop
LT1, 4L60E, 3:23
Red with black top/mirrors
Power windows, locks, mirrors, cloth grey/black interior
All stock except for a manual cutout, Eagle Alloy 4 spoke wheels, SLP CAI and SLP fan switch

The car did have the SLP 2OTL but I've since removed that and installed the factory exhaust back on. Car has 99k miles, transmission was rebuilt at 70K miles, new Magnaflow catalytic converter installed around 80-85k. New Opti Spark and water pump installed last year (97k miles) and a new radiator was installed a month ago. Transmission has Royal Purple, rear end fluid changed last year and car has had Mobil 1 since 70k miles. Motor holds strong oil pressure (around 17-18 at idle) and doesn't seem to have any leaks. There is residue near the crank pulley but nothing dripping down on the ground or blowing back on the pan.

The car has a salvage title due to the previous owner flipping the car. He was turning left during a rain storm, rear end kicked and went off the road, caught gravel or something of the sort and flipped the car. Insurance totaled it but he bought it back and fixed everything. This happened with ~2k miles on the car and we bought it in 1995 with ~2300 miles for $10k. Only issue is that he tried to re-fiberglass what was damaged and now that is starting to show. The drivers door has a 3-4 inch long crack under the mirror, and the hatch has a bit of fiberglass work. I'm sure if I were to replace both of those it would help the price but I don't have the time or money at this point. Also, the car has typical mid 90's clear coat peel so the car looks like its skin is peeling from sunburn.

I know all the drive train is solid and that with a little TLC and little odds and ends tended to (typical front seat bolster frayed, F-Body squeaks, manifold leak, etc), this car would make someone a nice weekend racer or just a fun DD, but I'm not sure what to ask price wise. I've tried to get an idea by looking on Craigslist but it's not helping. If pictures are needed, I can grab some (don't have any recent but I can provide on demand), and if their are any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance for the advise!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 542 Likes on 389 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If I'm reading everything right you have owned the car since it was almost new back in '95. That's a nice history (maintenance, etc..) for anyone looking to buy the car, BUT a salvage title on an 18 year old car with 6 figure mileage and issues is going to be next to impossible to sell, except to someone that wants to start a project or is in desperate need of transportation. I guess you could ask $2,000 (KBB shows about $3,600 - $4,000 for a clean titled '94 Z28) and see if you get any bites. Someone might be desperate for a ride and offer something for the car. In any event you certainly got your money's worth out of the car. It was a risky proposition back then but it worked out OK for you.