What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

00 Trans am. Curious what to offer

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Trans am. Curious what to offer

Basically a person near by has a 00 T/A. 106k miles on it. I do believe he is the 3rd owner. I saw the car yesterday. It does need some work as the previous owner before him made some modifications that are...less than desirable. The emblems on the side of the doors have been painted black with some sort of texture that I would describe as rhino liner. Almost the same texture to the black piece behind the ttops. Wasn't this supposed to be a satin black color? Also on the firebird emblem on the front fascia, some guy painted it gray and black. This is all on a red car with black interior. The plastic liner on the car when you open the door, the one where I guess is where you could step if you have to...can't remember the proper term, they painted that gray as well. It seems as if the current owner took care of it, but the previous owner took some liberties with it. Car originally was priced at 8500 and we discussed a trade with a motorcycle I have with some cash on top. At first it was 3500 on top of the bike that I've had offers of 5k for. I couldn't do the 3500 so I graciously backed out as he said someone else was also interested in the car. I received a text later asking if I was still interested and he brought the car over yesterday. He had reduced the price to about 7800. The driver door does have a crack in it that someone tried to repair and didn't do a great job of it. He does have an extra door to go with. Also, the previous owners put on a firehawk hood and didn't check clearances so the hood has rubbed against the front fascia and taken away the paint on both. This is all stuff that I can deal with as I'm looking for a car to tinker on with my kids as they get older. Not looking for a show piece. Driver seat has normal small tears. Again, I can deal. But my question is what would be a reasonable offer for cash on top of a motorcycle that books at 4k but will probably sell for 4.5-5 with the weather getting better. The car appears to book for around 6k in fair condition, but not sure he will come down that low. I'll attach some pics from the ad. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 438 Likes on 317 Posts

That's definitely a $6,000 car from what you describe, maybe. It won't be cheap to fix the idiotic 'personal touch' things done to that car either. Personally I wouldn't touch a car like that but maybe the bike and $2,000 would be worth it to you. Not a dime more if you can definitely get $4,000 for the bike. Let the seller keep the car if he doesn't accept. No one will be rushing out to buy his 14 year old 100k+ miles car that has been personalized like you describe. Lord only knows the maintenance history too. What does the Carfax say about the number of owners?
Good luck!!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing as well but wanted to see what others thought. The only think keeping me interested is the fact that it's a stock ls1 and a m6. I can fix the personal touches over the years, which was my plan originally. The pictures make the car look better than the condition it's really in. I have found a 97 t/a with 73k miles from a dealer. Think that I could talk then down from 7 to $6k. It's an auto that I could live with. Decisions, decisions. I know many people would say go for the lower mile car. I'll weigh the pros and cons for both and decide. Thanks again for the input. Nice to hear what others have to say.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 438 Likes on 317 Posts

Glad to assist.
That '97 T/A with the LT1 should easily be bought for $6,000, even less. If the dealer doesn't agree he can sit on it. He probably paid $3k for it on trade or at an auction.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Well, tried to make a deal with him. Wasn't going to over 2k on top of the bike. Informed him of that and he said he will definitely need more than that. Thanked him for his time and for letting me look at car. Also said that he's got my number if it does't sell. I've found another that I've sent an email about. Hopefully it works out.

Quick Reply: 00 Trans am. Curious what to offer