What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1999 Firebird w/T-tops, Hurst 6 speed, 6500mi.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Firebird w/T-tops, Hurst 6 speed, 6500mi.

I have a mother-in-law looking to sell her 1999 Firebird. Car bought new (actually ordered) in 1999 and only has 6500 miles on it. Never seen winter driving. Car is Black ext. and Black Cloth interior. No modifications what so ever. Options include V8(LS1 obviously) Hurst Shifter for 6-speed, T-Tops, Monsoon Sound System. Interior and Exterior are like new, always garaged. Car is in Ohio now, but will be transported to Texas soon.

So what do you think it is worth? KBB says only about $8000, that seems kind of low for a car in concours condition. By the way, anybody from the mid-west interested before I have to move this to Texas???
Old 07-02-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KBB doesnt take into consideration "specialty" pricing for low mileage cars. Some of those cars you see in the big auction KBB will tell you are worth like 8k, but they auction for 50k. I think you would be safe starting at like 10k to sell maybe more if you are in an area where people know about these cars. Your average Joe will just see a 15 year old car and won't care for condition or specs.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:23 PM

So I am probably dreaming if I say it's worth $15,000?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the right person someone would be willing to pay that if they wanted a low mileage car. These cars are in a weird spot right now. Old enough to be considered junk, not old enough to be desirable. Most of them aren't worth anything anymore, but there are people out there who "have to have it" and will pay decent cash for them still.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To the right buyer a one owner in great condition with all the documentation should easily sell for about $17K and some change I would say, that's depending on the paint being almost perfect and no mechanical issues.
Are the tires original? If so you need to figure that whomever buys the car is going to have to replace them to be safe so that will affect the price a little bit.
Don't let it go at $15K, that car is worth a little more than that...
Old 07-02-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tdehne
So I am probably dreaming if I say it's worth $15,000?
We just discussed a black '99 WS6 on here a few weeks back with 4,500 miles. It bid up to high $18's on Ebay....assuming real money behind those bids. A WS6 brings $2,000 more than the base firebird on your typical 20K to 60K mile cars. It's probably even more than that with mileage <10K. So I guess you might be able to stretch that car to the $16's for the "right" buyer. So I guess ask for $17K and see what happens. Buyers go ga-ga over ultra low mileage WS6's and then not as much over plain Jane Trans AMs or Firebirds. There is feverish demand for ultra low mileage WS6's. The demand for identical condition TA's and Formula's is not nearly as strong even if they are probably "rarer." For an extra $2K most anyone would buy the mint WS6. I know I would. Convertibles might be the exception as they have demand in either model. And if you can afford $18K to $19K for a much more collectible WS6 that's a far better longer term value than an equivalent 300/305 hp Firebird. $15K and then some seems achievable. Though for that money I'd rather spend $15,000 or so for a '99 SS with 6500 miles. I think the price guides look at the Trans AM and SS's as sort of equivalent in value, but I don't. I don't think anyone "has to have" a 6500 low mileage Firebird when there are more attractive collectible choices out there. Factor that into the equation when you are receiving offers. The tires, AC, window and door motors if not done yet could run the next guy another $2K. The '99's and later are prone to bubbling paint on the roof panel. That would be another significant deduction if there are signs of that starting.

2 years ago a dealer tried to sell me their 2002 Trans Am with 42,000 miles for $11,500. That car was superbly mint and looked/drove like 20,000 miles...older couple car too. Per the market a 1999 TA with 15,000 miles would be about the same value as a 2002 with 45,000 miles. Each person would have their own preference on what appealed to them more...model years or mileage. I'd always take the mileage. I still wouldn't pay $15,000 for a '99 Firebird regardless of miles. I'd rather spend that money towards a WS6. Do sell the car before you get to Texas as I have a feeling these cars are more available in nice condition down there.

KBB and NADA don't factor in the value of ultra low miles in these cars. Compare their prices for a 50K vs. 10K mile car and you'll see almost no different. That's insane but great for dealers who buy them or get them on trade in. I figure $1K higher for every 10,000 miles lower from the price guide value of a 45K to 60K mile car is a more accurate value. That's my thumb rule which may or may not work for others. This assumes the cars become considerably nicer for every 10K miles lower. If I had to make an offer on your car I'd probably not want to pay more than $12K to $13K as a Firebird just doesn't measure up to a WS6 or SS imo. I wouldn't be the ideal buyer either. For $14,500 or so I can buy a 35K to 40K mile 2002 WS6 or a much lower mileage '99 WS6. Still love your car though and it would be fun to own.

Last edited by Firebrian; 07-02-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

No one has asked the all important question yet. Is this a Firebird Formula?? Are you sure? With cloth seats, I would like to verify that it is indeed an LS1 (Formula) and not a 6 banger. Formulas came standard with cloth seats so no problem, but normally a description says more than just 'Firebird' when an LS1 is involved, otherwise we are talking a 6 cylinder. A 6 speed V8 Formula isn't a typical purchase for a middle aged female and I want to make sure that I am going to price this car accurately. I tell you what, there were not many 1999 Formulas produced in 1999, and even fewer with a 6 speed. This could be quite an unusual car.
tdehne, can you tell us positively that it is a Formula please? Have you seen the car and verified what you have told us? I want to make sure it is indeed an LS1 and that there isn't a mistake in your description. If it's not an LS1 then these guesstimates are way off.
*** I'll await your reply. Thanks!

Last edited by NC01TA; 07-03-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would hope the mother-in-law and OP can tell a V6 from a V8 even by seat of the pants feel. It's a 6 speed too which wasn't an option on any V6. I wouldn't think anyone that owns such a car or is trying to sell it could be confused on V6/5 speed vs. V8/6 speed....but there's a 1st time for everything. When I got my first 6 speed Trans Am in 1994 my wife's sister kept telling her that we didn't have a 6 speed. Such a thing was impossible because manual transmissions only went up to 5 speeds....or so she said. I knew I owned a 6 speed because of all the times I miss-shifted from 3rd to 6th and found myself with no power on the highway just when I needed it. Such a thing never happened with the old 4 speeds.

I would agree that the mom in law must have been quite an enthusiast back in '99 to order up a 6 speed Firebird. Since she did order the car what special options were included? Most everything good would have come in the standard Trans Am and WS6 packages. Did she order up a 1LE Formula hot rod? And if you paid the $$ for the 1LE package I don't think you'd ever forget it. They made 577 Formula coupes in 1999 with 6 speeds (20 1LE's). And about 10X as many Trans AMs with 6 speed. I guess aficionado's of the lighter Formula would be very interested in such a low mileage 6 speed....especially a hardtop.

Last edited by Firebrian; 07-02-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a beautiful car. Anyway to get pics?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Firebrian, unless the OP has seen the car I take everything with a grain of salt. Just like you, I have had 'conversations' with owners that know nothing, and I mean nothing, about their own cars. Yes, even the number of cylinders. That's why I'm asking him to verify, especially someone that is brand new to the site and doesn't mention the word Formula but mentions cloth seats. Hopefully for his mother-in-law it is just an oversight, otherwise he is getting her hopes up for nothing saying it's worth $15k if it's a 6 cylinder. I don't mean any insult to the OP.
That's why I am usually so serious about the advice posted here. It can really screw people up, and losing money or getting someone's hopes up are just not helping anyone. I always try to err on the low side for buyers, mainly for the younger crowd that just can't afford to get hurt buying a car. Plus for sellers not to expect 'pie in the sky' values. If it happens, great! As I always say, there is no harm in asking, just don't expect it.

Last edited by NC01TA; 07-03-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

tdehne, you there??
I know it's a holiday tomorrow but get back to us when you can.

Happy 4th everyone!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:24 PM

Hi there, yes it is for sure a V8 and cloth seats. She did not want the leather for some reason. I have uploaded a few pics. If you would like more please let me know. I will try and find a interior picture to prove that is cloth.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 Firebird w/T-tops, Hurst 6 speed, 6500mi.-firebire-engine.jpg   1999 Firebird w/T-tops, Hurst 6 speed, 6500mi.-firebird-front-right.jpg   1999 Firebird w/T-tops, Hurst 6 speed, 6500mi.-firebird-odometer.jpg   1999 Firebird w/T-tops, Hurst 6 speed, 6500mi.-firebird-rear-right.jpg  
Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 PM

I am sure she has the original window sticker in her file if there any more questions.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm glad you could get back with us and post some photos. No need to prove it is cloth. As I posted earlier, Formulas came standard with cloth seats. It certainly appears to be a Formula front end with that V8 engine. Quite a nice combo with the 6 speed. Once you get it detailed properly there is no reason why she can't get in the $16,000 - $18,000 price range if the car is in excellent condition. If there are any 'issues' with anything, or Carfax issues. then that price is too high. This is a very desirable car with very few produced in 1999. The original tires should be left on the car in case a 'collector' wants the car. Do NOT replace them. If someone buys the car to actually drive, then the new owner can buy whatever brand of tires they want. They may use this as a negotiation point though and you may need to take that into consideration. For your info, new quality tires are $600+ for a set.
This has to be one of the most unusual purchases I have seen. I have no problem with a middle aged woman buying a nice new Formula, but buying a 6 speed usually means driving the darn thing. She's driven this car less than 500 miles per year on average. This wasn't your typical purchase back in 1999 and I wonder if she got a great deal on it from an inspired salesman.
Best of luck with the sale!! Don't you DARE allow anyone to throw KBB or NADA price book quotes at you or your mother in law. These ultra low mileage examples command premiums. It will sell.

Last edited by NC01TA; 07-07-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Added tire info
Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Thanks again for all your good information. I love when I can find a forum with such informative members. I will have about a month to sell it in the Midwest before it will have to come south to Texas, so if anybody's interested please let me know!

Any suggestions of some websites that might contain some good buyers for this car besides auto trader?
Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tdehne
Thanks again for all your good information. I love when I can find a forum with such informative members. I will have about a month to sell it in the Midwest before it will have to come south to Texas, so if anybody's interested please let me know!

Any suggestions of some websites that might contain some good buyers for this car besides auto trader?
No problem. Very glad to assist along with all the other helpful posts here as well. Besides Autotrader, if you want to spend another $45 or so, I would consider Hemmings where serious 'collectors' are always looking. That's where I found my Aerocoupe and my old 911. The ad will be placed in their 'big' book along with on-line. http://www.hemmings.com/ Good quality photos of a detailed car are very important at both sites! If you need assistance, PM me with a rough draft before you place it. I don't mind with a car of this caliber. It has to be accurate and detailed with no omissions, otherwise you become just a used car salesman..
It's up to you and your mother in law if you want to double the effort since the car is to be moved soon, which is an expense. You may have to be patient. Even though very desirable, people aren't knocking down the doors to buy these cars. It is a thin market when prices are in the high teens. It most likely will be a cash transaction.
If you want an example of how I list cars, I just listed this old '35 Ford yesterday for one of my collector friends. I took the photos for him and created the text after getting all the detailed info. It's in both Hemmings and here. http://classiccars.com/listing/557882.html
Old 07-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Teching In

This Car is a Rarity Indeed!!! Very nice example that you dont see often. Would do great in a collection or for someone that wants a Ultra low mile car. Formulas are just plain cool.

Quick Reply: 1999 Firebird w/T-tops, Hurst 6 speed, 6500mi.