What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Would really appreciate feedback - '98 SS - Thank you!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would really appreciate feedback - '98 SS - Thank you!

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what my car is worth, and if/what I should repair before selling. Thanks a lot for your feedback in advance, I sincerely appreciate it.

1998 Camaro SS - White - 115,000 - Automatic- leather - T Tops- monsoon sound system - bone stock.

I am the second owner, the car has been a Tampa, FL car it's whole life.
I paid $4,900 for it a few months back. The low price was due to cracked dash, cracked console lid, A/C blowing warm, broken window motor, rusted exhaust tips, a few missing radio ***** etc.

The car is my daily driver, and runs and drives just fine. A solenoid has been ticking recently, and the oil gets dirty quickly.

What is the car's current worth? What should I fix before selling?

Thanks!

( the stickers and prices in the pictures were from previous owner, they've been removed )
Attached Thumbnails Would really appreciate feedback - '98 SS - Thank you!-photo-1-1-.jpg   Would really appreciate feedback - '98 SS - Thank you!-photo-1.jpg   Would really appreciate feedback - '98 SS - Thank you!-photo-2-1-.jpg   Would really appreciate feedback - '98 SS - Thank you!-photo-3-1-.jpg  
Old 09-17-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Considering you paid $4900 that seems like a reasonable value to me with the AC and window motor working. The more you can fix on the cheap the better. I would think you can find a high miles '98-'99 with most everything working for $4900 or less. At least check into the AC system as to where the leak is. It might be a simpler fix (ie not a compressor, condenser, evap). If you're not happy with the car I'd sell it as soon as you can for the best price you get offered. Start at $4900. If I were going after a 115K mile car I'd want it be as clean as my old one, or follow after someone who just recently fixed everything up.

I owned a nearly identical car from 2002-2009. Traded it in for $3K in Nov 2009 to a dealer. It too was white, 2 owners, 117K miles, auto, hard top, with everything working but the AC. The paint was excellent with no bubbles, blisters, or fading. It had a minor dent behind the driver's door on the rear rocker panel....and a ding near the fuel door. Interior was was perfect with no tears, cracks, or stains. I wonder why I got rid of it as it ran as well with 115K miles as it did with 22K miles when I bought it. Most of those miles were on the highway with a 50 mi commute to work.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!

Quick question, say I put $1,000 into the car to fix all the flaws described. Would the car be worth $1,000 more in your opinion?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ambition
Thanks for the feedback!

Quick question, say I put $1,000 into the car to fix all the flaws described. Would the car be worth $1,000 more in your opinion?
I think so. But, I really can't say what number we're adding that $1,000 to....is it $3900? $4400? $4900? Some other members here have reported buying or selling some pretty sweet cars with everything working/upgraded in the $6K to $8K range and 50K to 90K miles. At 115K miles the car will probably be bought by someone who can do those repairs themselves or know how to get it done cheaply. So there may not be much advantage to fixing them all yourself unless you know you can do it as cheaply as anyone else. In any event if you can get it done for <$1K the car won't have any obvious flaws and that's a plus. I'm still thinking $5K might be tops for such a car.

Quick Reply: Would really appreciate feedback - '98 SS - Thank you!