What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 Trans am Convertible ls1/a4 at a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2000 Trans am Convertible ls1/a4 at a dealer

hello all, been looking at a car for sale at a local dealer, its a kia dealer. they have a car they just got in on trade in its a 2000 trans am convertible. im curious on what everyone here feels its worth.
Info:
2000 trans am convertible
LS1 with 151,000 original milles
new convertible top
1 owner
silver with black leather interior
100% original and APPEARS to be well maintained
fires on the first shot

noticable issues are as follows

check engine light ( most likely o2 sensors as the car starts and runs fine )
leaky transmission pan gasket
bad valve cover gasket passanger side
security light is on ( most likely bad ignition as the key is not easy to take out after shutting the car off )

they are asking 4600 plus tax and title as i have a spare tag. what do you guys think?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

For a dealer the price isn't horribly high (still needs to be negotiated down) but that's an awful lot of miles. I know many owners have hit 200k miles with their LS1 cars but I personally see 'money pit' anytime I see a car with those miles. You don't want to start sinking serious $$ into this car. No collector value at all and tough to sell for good money if you get in a pinch.
If you are mechanically inclined it might be OK since you won't be paying others for labor, and you can fix the issues listed in your post. If you are not able to do repairs, then I would 'pass'. It isn't just the drivetrain but every component on the car. The top repairs are never cheap either. A new top is great but how does it work and fit (seal)? Does it have the glass window in back or is it a cheap plastic window knock-off? Good luck!
Old 02-08-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If everything on that car is original I'd pass too. That leaves you with the cost of suspension, AC, and other repairs that are sure to be lurking. The best value on these cars would be those with 1-2 owners, all maintenance documented, and 20K to 100K miles. You could probably buy a 50K-60K mile car for under $10K and could expect that the car's components have plenty of life left in them.

Last edited by Firebrian; 02-08-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

sorry forgot to elaborate on things.
yes it is original meaning it doenst have aftermarket parts i.e: flowmaster mufflers, perfrormance suspension, bigger brakes or what not, but has new suspension and the A/C is ice cold. i am very handy when it comes to vehicles i have bought cars as shells before and turned them into daily drivers and/or better. im VERY handy. the miles dont scare me too much as i have seen worse and the car runs good. as for the top it seals well and has a glass back.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

btw this would not be a daily for more but more of a weekend fun car. i have a 2000 s10 xtreme for my daily, and im selling my 88 GTA to get this one
Old 02-09-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I could never recommend a car of this type to a friend or family member BUT since you are able to repair things yourself, it might be worth the gamble. Parts aren't horribly expensive in general. It's your call since we can't see the car or see how it runs. I mentioned the seal of the top before as those heavy FL summer rains are a real test for any 'vert, even new ones sometimes. Make sure you are OK with that.
You still need to negotiate the price lower. The dealer has a lot more room and they would rather not wholesale it out for just a few grand. Play hardball with them. Again, good luck!

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans am Convertible ls1/a4 at a dealer