What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

97 WS6 LS1 M6 w/ 120K - What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 97 WS6 LS1 M6 w/ 120K - What's it worth?

Hey guys! I'm new here. I'm happy to find this forum. I'm looking for some advice or opinions...

I've had my ws6 for 17 years and I love it, it's a great car but it's not as practical for me as it once was. About once a month a get a note on my car from someone asking me if I want to sell it but when I call them back they make an offer that just doesn't sound good to me, like $6K. I read the sticky post and I know it has more value to me but come on, for $6K I would buy it myself and it would be the greatest deal ever (in other words, I'd just keep it)!

It's had ALL its scheduled maintenance and I've always taken really good care of it. Garaged for many years, clean title, no accidents, etc. I'm practically the only owner because the guy I bought it from was a friend who was a dealer mechanic. He did a few changes (cat back flowmaster, skip-shift eliminator, driveshaft, hypertech tune, dry nos 150) and ran it down the track a few times before selling it to me. I never took it to the track. I've had some "fun" with it out on the freeways and such but I didn't treat it hard, mostly just cruising.

It was fully loaded from the dealer and it seems to be "rare" to me. How rare is it and what's THAT worth?

I'm putting together a description for an ad (below) in case I do decide to sell it but I don't want to sound like an ***. Is anything wrong with my terminology or description?

The price I'm comfortable with is close to $9k since I recently replaced the timing chain, ignition, and cooling system for almost $3k. Am I way out of line with my price?

For the last couple years I've been in AZ and the sun is taking a toll. The clearcoat is peeling and the upper-dash is cracked. Some other little things are starting to pile up too, sticky headlight motor, busted window regulator, broken antennae, worn driver seat. About a grand would put her back in good shape. Should I spend the grand and then try to get more for it or would someone who knows what it is accept it at my price?

I don't want to "eat it" on my car. No low-ballers are going to get a great deal and "flip it" to make some money BUT someone who loves these cars as much as I do will be getting a fair deal.

Ok, lay it on me, I can handle it. Worst case I just keep it.

KBB
Private Party $4273

NadaGuides
$6,725 - $8,450

Edmunds
Clean $4,216

AutoTrader
$9,800 98 TA w/ 188K Not WS6
$9,500 99 Mustang GT w/ 86K
$12,000 97 Honda Civic Ex w/ 92K
$11,500 99 Mustang Cobra w/ 77K
$10,500 01 Mustang GT w/ 127K
$9,500 00 TA WS6 Auto w/ 81K
$11,000 99 Z28 w/ 117K

Thanks for your opinion! You guys already know what it looks like. Here's my ad description...

-J

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1997 Pontiac Fourth Generation Firebird Trans-Am WS6 w/ Ram Air & 6-Speed Manual Transmission

black, t-tops, ram-air intake, 120k mi, 5.7 all-aluminum LS-1 (block & heads) V8, 6 spd man trans (M6), ~350+ hp, +150 hp NOS, 160 mph, 0-60 ~4.0 sec., 1/4 mile ~12 sec., 3.42 axle, limited slip rear, flowmaster cat-back exhaust, K&N fltr, alum 275/45/17 wheels, grey leather int, Recaro seats, tinted windows, Monsoon 500 w stereo w/ 12 disc, alarm, airbag, a/c, power steering, power windows, power door locks, cruise control, tilt, no-plate front bumper, fog lts, hyper-tec performance chip, 50 state smog certified, skip-shift eliminator, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, K&N filter, Hurst shifter, high rise spoiler, last year of pop-up headlights.

It is very fast and fun to drive. Has power that tuners and Mustangs can't compete against. If it's not fast enough for you, then warm up the nitros and hang on. Fast & fun, this is a true American muscle car.

This car is very rare. Only 482 Pontiac Trans-Am WS6's were built in 1997 and only 288 were 6 speed (M6). 167 had T-tops, 127 were painted black, 41 had the Monsoon 500 watt stereo w/ 12 disc changer, and only 10 WS6 M6's had the grey leather interior with the electric articulating lumbar inflatable Recaro driver's seat. This might be one of the last ones left alive with these options.

*http://www.transamworld.com/1997-breakdown.htm

I am the second owner. I bought it almost new in 1998 from the dealership's lead mechanic. It was the showroom model with all possible options. He installed the performance upgrades and ran it down the track a couple of times. I kept it garaged for 10 years and put some very easy miles on it. Has had all scheduled maintenance. It has never seen snow. Absolutely no rust whatsoever. It now has around 120,000 miles.

Mechanical is very sound, with motor, transmission, rear end, and the full drive line in good working order. I have full service and maintenance records which can be provided. Paint and body is in good condition with no dents. The interior is also in good shape as well minimal wear. Rear seat never used. T-top covers new in the bag. Owner's manual new in the bag.

ISSUES: First the bad...
clearcoat is peeling, driver window regulator broken, driver headlight motor sticking, upper-dash cracked, driver seat cover worn, antennae broken, cup holder broken but have replacement, trunk cover damaged, speakers damaged, stained floor mats.

RECENT SERVICE: Now the good...
@110K: timing chain replaced (preventative), new plugs & wires, new distributor & cap, brake pads, tires. @90K: new cooling system w/ water pump & radiator, new hatchback hydraulics, replaced fuel pump. @80K: rebuilt rear-end, 50 state cats (both) replaced, all 4 airflow sensors replaced,

NO TRADES, NO LOW-BALLERS, NO TIRE KICKERS, NO DEALERS, NO JOYRIDERS!!!

Clean title. Serious inquiries only. Contact me with any questions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Old 02-19-2015, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to tell you this, but for the issues it has, 6k is a good offer. And there were 2,800 or so WS6s made in 1997. I have had two.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Teching In

I didn't realize they came with LS1 motors in 97? Weird
Old 02-19-2015, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 97 ws6 has a ls1..... But I did the swap lol

With needing paint, 6k is a good offer.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:01 AM

Thanks a lot guys!

fergymoto, yeah I was reading that chart all wrong. Thanks for getting me straight. 2889 Coupes and 1432 were M6's, I guess that's still KINDA rare.

YoungJoey & 94LTZ, you guys are probably right too. The catalog I have is from a 98 but the car is a 97. Looks like I've been lying to myself and others all these years thinking I had a LS1. I wish it was better but it's still bad-*** so I'm good with it.

That does kind of sting a little, but I don't think I could replace it with anything better for $6K. I'm glad I still have it.

Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

With the negative items you mention, if left as is, potential buyers would assume you didn't take care of the car. I had my '98 Z for nearly 10 years and 115K miles and there were no stains on the carpet, no seat rips or wear spots, no dash cracks, no malfunctioning items, no clear coat peeling, etc. And that car saw a lot of daily driving. So yes, take care of those items before selling it. The clear coat peeling (if not isolated to one body panel like the hood) could be a base paint issue in which case you're talking a complete repaint. An LS-1 WS6 M6 with 125K miles and these issues is probably an $8K to $10K car.

Last edited by Firebrian; 02-20-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Teching In

That same car with super low miles and in showroom condition could be considered rare; what you have there is a high-mileage car that has issues that would make me think it wasn't well cared for and as such, is far from being "rare." In my area, that would be a $4000 car, tops.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:40 PM

Firebrian, thanks man. I admit she has been seriously neglected for the last couple years with the exception of the bigger issues. For 5 years the doors said "whoosh" when you closed them, for ten years I could still smell the leathery new-car smell, the next 5 she really proved her worth, for the last 2 she's been that car from Road Warrior ("The last of the V8 interceptors"). Hard times.

GimmeLSx, thanks buddy. The truth kinda hurts but I have to agree with your opinion. She 'aint no spring chicken anymore. If I ever do want to sell it, I should probably take it back to CA where my smog makes a difference.

I think you guys helped me avoid a bad decision. I couldn't replace it with anything better for that money. I need to drop a couple grand and get her lookin' all good. Keep it running for my kid someday. Enjoy it for as long as possible. When the engine finally quits, drop that upgrade.

Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

the guys are spot on, I would say 4k, if you find someone whos willing to get into it, don't know if i missed it, but I don't know of any 97's having a ls1, I have had a 96 and 97 WS6 both with under 20k, my first one was a 96 with 15k and I paid 8500 for it,
Old 02-21-2015, 02:10 PM

Thanks jamin. Yeah, reality sucks. Good lookin' ride you got there. Peace.

Quick Reply: 97 WS6 LS1 M6 w/ 120K - What's it worth?