What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Am I wrong for thinking this car is very overpriced?

Old 03-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I wrong for thinking this car is very overpriced?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4919499326.html

Guy in a Facebook group has been advertising this car for months. This is after months of him asking what it's worth. Most people said around 14-16k. I even think that's high and it's more like 11-13k

What's everyone else think? Am I off base or is the seller?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

In my opinion, I don't really see a problem with starting high at $18,000
He may get it if he finds the right buyer but again just my opinion I think 14-$16,000 for that car is a fair price
Old 03-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
In my opinion, I don't really see a problem with starting high at $18,000
He may get it if he finds the right buyer but again just my opinion I think 14-$16,000 for that car is a fair price
Help me understand why you feel it's 14-16k? I feel like a 30th anniversary, which is more desirable and much better looking imo would be in the 14 range. Same with a firehawk which again is generally more desirable. Does being a ceta add that much value? If this was a red 02 ws6 it would be 10-11k.

Not trying to argue I truly want to understand why people think the ceta, particularly this 3rd owner auto ceta with 43k miles is worth so much
Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by black79transam
Help me understand why you feel it's 14-16k? I feel like a 30th anniversary, which is more desirable and much better looking imo would be in the 14 range. Same with a firehawk which again is generally more desirable. Does being a ceta add that much value? If this was a red 02 ws6 it would be 10-11k.

Not trying to argue I truly want to understand why people think the ceta, particularly this 3rd owner auto ceta with 43k miles is worth so much
I guess I should say I don't feel it's worth that, I would much rather have the cars you mentioned and find them much nicer looking cars, especially a 02 ws6 over a ceta.
I was more saying I don't think he will have a problem getting $15,000+ for it due to what it is and " flash appeal" if that's the right way to put it. Me personally between that and a black ws6 or som ws6 for the same price I'm going ws6 but people will pay for the ceta "emblem" just as they will pay a bit extra for a ws6 over a sleak beak trans am.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Hard to sell, gotta find someone who wants a baby sheet yellow TA. Not a easy sell, local dealer had one with 30k on it and couldn't sell it for 14k.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

This is the sort of car that doesn't enjoy universal appeal, but can and will retain exceptional value to very specific individuals.

The mileage is too high, for a 13 year old car, to appeal to a true "collector". It's just a low mileage driver at this point, or perhaps it could be seen as a future survivor type collector car if it stops being driven right now and the mileage stays the same for the next 20 years or more. There are 100% stock CETAs with 10k miles or less that pop up for sale with some regularity, and those are the cars a legitimate collector is targeting at this point.

The pictures aren't great, but I can tell that the interior shows some wear (wrinkles) on the seats, the carpets don't look spotless and there is junk stored in the back. Seems doubtful that the engine bay or undercarriage would be highly detailed based on what can be seen in the ad. The tinted windows and aftermarket audio stuff will be a turn-off to true collectors, so again this is an example that will appeal to someone who simply wants a really nice driver. The problem here is that many who want a "really nice driver" LS1 WS6 car either don't care if it's a CETA or specifically don't want a CETA because the color and graphics tend to be a love-it-or-hate-it matter of opinion, and more seem to hate it than love it.

The price isn't right for what it is, in terms of the general market IMO. Shoppers looking for #2 or #3+ condition LS1 WS6 cars will generally rather get a nicer condition car for the same money (or same condition for less money) that doesn't have the CETA badge. Colors like red, black or SOM are all more popular and easier to sell. So it's going to take that very special buyer, perhaps someone who really wants a "collector" level CETA (with mileage and condition that would reflect a #1 or #2 car) but who's budget can't quite afford such and thus, in favor of the color/graphics/badges, is willing to overlook the fact that a nicer base LS1 WS6 could be had for that same cash.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-09-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Yes, that price is too high. From a collector standpoint, as noted above by RPM WS6 the mileage is too high and the condition not worthy of the lofty price either. Is it worth $15,000 or so?? Probably, the car is still unique and hopefully not abused. It would have to be seen in person along with a clean Carfax.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by black79transam

Had one of these in my area last year that started out at $18K and worked its way down to $16K where it finally sold around that level. It had 39K miles and looked pretty clean. I would figure $15,000+ for the one above if well maintained. It's not exactly easy to find these with mid-miles (35K to 65K miles). They tend to be under 25K miles (rarely driven) or very high miles. Even with 100K miles I don't think you could get a clean one for $11K or so. There are enough people who find them interesting. And they are worth more than a plain old red or black WS6.

As far as finding a 1999 anniv car with 44K miles at $14K, good luck. I think you'd have to pay $16K+ for an unmolested 44K mile anniv car. Again, those are not easy to find with mid-miles as so many of them are trophy cars with <25K miles. And even the higher mile cars (60K-90K) are not all that easy to find. Most every one you run across on line seems to be a very low mileage car. Between Ebay (last 3 months) and autotrader.com there's only one mid-miles car priced <$18K....and that one was 34K miles at $16,200 with some previous front end damage repaired. You'd also have to be very fortunate to run across a red/black 2002 WS6 for $10K-$11K with only 44K miles. That would be a desperate (or dumb) seller looking to sell it right away to a flipper. Most 2002 WS6's with approx 44K miles are in the $13K-$14.5K range. If I could find a clean, 1-2 owner 2002 WS6 automatic for $11K or less and <45K miles it would be in my garage tomorrow. I don't recall even seeing a 2002 advertised all last year for that little money. The closest thing I saw was a white 2001 with 32K miles up in Vermont for $12K (autotrader.com).

Last edited by Firebrian; 03-12-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Haha I've seen that car for sale since at least early fall around Kansas City. He started at some absurd price, I want to say 28k. He keeps slowly lowering it but it's still too high at 18k. Maybe another year and he'll have lowered the price enough to sell!
Old 03-12-2015, 06:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by 74camaroc2
Haha I've seen that car for sale since at least early fall around Kansas City. He started at some absurd price, I want to say 28k. He keeps slowly lowering it but it's still too high at 18k. Maybe another year and he'll have lowered the price enough to sell!
Oh, he's one of those. I know a few like that too. Crazy prices with no intention of selling, just hoping for an uninformed buyer to come along and overpay.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 74camaroc2
His original intention was to trade straight up for a c6 so he could mod that instead.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Appears I'm half right and half wrong. I am under valuing the car but he is still overpriced in what he asks for it.

Stupid thing to be bothered about but he irritates me because he asked for a value of the car and most people put it 12-15k and His original asking price (that I saw) was 24k

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I wrong for thinking this car is very overpriced?