What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Pulling trigger on 02 trans am. Sound like a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pulling trigger on 02 trans am. Sound like a good deal?

Ok was looking at ls1 Camaro or birds but always favored birds. There were much more z to choose from most were 98-99 120-150k miles and all started at $6k I talked them down to $5 and $5.5. 98 was silver with ghetto rims. It supposedly had Cam exhaust and maint work look clean auto 150k. Other one was 99 black m6 with similiar mods 120k but aftermarket lower body kit and lights all blacked out. Loooked cleaner but kit was cheap. inside for both looked ok. Slight rips and wear carpets were not worn out but both looked 50% life. I never drove yet but they also had some maint issues.

i wasn't sold on the 98 for egr and pcm issues. 99 better but cost was more $6k

Then today I found and drove a 02 trans am black. All stock loaded auto leather 146k. I think it's a good deal. Engine had swept one belt squeal a start up but went away and AC was weak. I think clutch was broken. Minor

inside had wear and tear for age but wasn't bad carpet was. It worn out. Had mats. Visors were hanging, typical and headliner looked ok. Stereo was eq model and worked and so do all the gauges. Headlights winked once but popped up after that. Engine bay was super clean, fluids were great.
stock rims.

engine was fast. Punch it and it's sideways with the old tires thru 2nd. It hit 60 had to be 4-5 seconds and torque I really didn't see a need for more yet....

so so
Old 11-07-2016, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

So it was $4.6 plus tags

paint looks straight outside all panels are tight but there is a scrape along gas cap in rear quarter. Paint had small scratches around valences and front bumper and hood had paint chips and few dings. Top roof by ts has some small bubbles

i am thinking quarter is not too bad to repair. Maybe not weld but push out and paint whole car

then I can drive it asap and do all the inside tlc work myself. I will add tune lid and exhaust maybe headers

or maybe just tune and Cam

so is 4.6 good?
Old 11-07-2016, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

$4600 is a fair price for what you described.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

That is what I felt too. I have always bought 3rd gens for $500-$1500. All projects. Always have straight body's with typical dings and scratches but straight, just paint. Interiors can be trashed, easy fix. Engine just had to be not a rebuild, yet. I like to not have it on blocks for ever. Want something that can run and I can enjoy and tune while I improve the body and interior.

This one is $4600 and ruins better then any project car. Rear end felt loose because of bald tires but it was a smoke show car and fun. Sounded great. And all stock I like. I know then where I am starting from.

Inside was solid but worn: Cracked door panels, buttons missing, light wear on leather bolsters, headliner loose. All simple stuff but still.

And body is first thing to fix for sure. Probaly make me love the car as-is. Although I would like to do black/black rims/body.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Cuff
i wasn't sold on the 98 for egr and pcm issues. 99 better but cost was more $6k
'99 has the same EGR system, so does 2000. There are no "issues" with the '98 PCM if all you plan is a bolt-on or basic heads/cam build....that only becomes a concern when extensive tuning is required for a max effort/FI-type setup.

Top roof by ts has some small bubbles
This '02 will need a new roof to fix this. Just to make you aware. Here's further details:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html
Old 11-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

146,000 miles
Stock
No smoke on start-up
Transmission does not slip

You got a great deal.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I bought it and had my secretary pick up at lunch and drive to me office and she even said it was a beast.

her feedback: for an 02 great shape, needs tires brakes and power steering but drive great!

so new paint and maint and have fun
Old 11-08-2016, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats Jim. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:20 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, excited to work on the car, learn from you guys and hopefully add some knowledge myself.

New roof? Like cut and weld out whole top? I had same with my 3rds and just relaxed t top removable sail panel and sand/cut/spot weld out small rust spots?
Old 11-09-2016, 09:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thanks guys, excited to work on the car, learn from you guys and hopefully add some knowledge myself.

New roof? Like cut and weld out whole top? I had same with my 3rds and just relaxed t top removable sail panel and sand/cut/spot weld out small rust spots?
This is not like rust repair on a 3rd gen. The outer panel is glued on, it's not metal. Check out the link I posted above for complete and comprehensive details on the issue and the repair options. Here is the link again:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html
Old 11-09-2016, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, I just took my car to my Body Shop guy. He has done all my project cars and knows his stuff. Verdict was not too bad. here is what he noticed.

Roof: Seen it dimples not too bad not huge $ impact
Driver door: Appears to be peeling off metal skin. Common and not bad he will reglue to skin and align
Headlights look droopy on 1 side not lined up to bumper he will adjust
Gas cap scrape: he said he can dolly out
rear bumper looks droopy he will probably have to realign rear support.
overall paint wasn't bad

3 step paint job, black, clear, wet sand,clear $2k with repairs. 1.8k with cash.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Best of luck. I still think that spending a couple thousand more will get you a body that doesn't need body work or paint...even at 100K-125K miles. Some great WS6 values out there in the $8K-$10K range where the only issue is too many miles (ie more than 80K). The most underpriced thing in this market are low miles. You can buy them for almost free sometimes.

If you don't mind A4's you would have liked my 1998 Z28 in white. The paint was very nice and not peeling or blistering anywhere. Cosmetic appearance looked like 55K miles. Only defects were a small dent in lower driver's rocker panel and a ding by the gas cap. 115K miles, 90% of them by me. Sold it for $3K to a dealer as no one responded to my local ads. Needed a new AC compressor and probably some suspension things. Ran great. Deals are out there. The dealer was later asking $3800.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thanks, I just took my car to my Body Shop guy. He has done all my project cars and knows his stuff. Verdict was not too bad. here is what he noticed.

Roof: Seen it dimples not too bad not huge $ impact
Then your body guy is simply not knowledgeable about this problem. The car needs a new roof panel to permanently fix this issue. I urge you to investigate this yourself before committing to a repaint only to find the bubbles return in a matter of months. Check out the link I posted above. The GM TSB also states that the panel must be replaced.

A new roof panel alone is about ~$700 with shipping (aftermarket, this panel has been discontinued by GM.) You can find them used, but sometimes you have to remove them yourself from the donor car. Add in additional cost of labor to do the R&R.

This is all covered in the links above.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Thx you, I understand now. I will talk to him. He can Reglass it himself for sure.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

He would have to create a new panel and remove the existing one.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. So lt or stay stock, tranny cooler and 3000+ stall, rockers leave alone

thanks!

i feel like my tranny has work, is there a way to test your stall speed?
Old 11-10-2016, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Sorry crossed post to wrong thread.
Yes he would have to reglass a new panel.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry crossed post to wrong thread.
Yes he would have to reglass a new panel.
No problem. BTW, go with at least a 3600 stall.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Here she is untouched as I purchased.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Let us know how it turns out for your after say 6 months when you've had the chance to get to know the car and work out any and all issues. It will take some time.

Golden Oldies Auto Sales. Don't know them off hand. A lot of those Classic or Performance Car dealers are into flipping w/o really going through a car. If you performed your due diligence it should be ok.

Quick Reply: Pulling trigger on 02 trans am. Sound like a good deal?