What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1994 Trans Am Convertible, what's it worth?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Trans Am Convertible, what's it worth?

OK I admittedly don't know a lot about these cars. I want a realistic idea on what my car is worth. I know what I was told it was worth when I got it which I don't believe (I think it's to high). Here is what I know about the car.

1994 Pontiac Transam ram air convertible. Automatic transmission with a power shift button. 127k miles.

Everything works. It has cruise, power windows and locks, power convertible top, plastic convertible cover pieces for when the top is down, Ac/ heat, and custom leather seats. it was backed into something and cracked the tail light lens. No other damage, no dents just the tail light lens. Does have one scratch on the drivers door that needs to be addressed.

If I can figure out how to post pics from my phone I will. It has a v8 engine and the speedometer goes to 150 I believe, or 155.

What at can I expect to get out of it selling it?

Old 12-28-2016, 12:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Just an FYI, this is not actually a "ram air" car, no such thing was offered for Trans Am in 1994. They did offer a Firehawk model that year, which included a factory ram air hood, but this is not a Firehawk and that is not a factory hood by any means. What you have is a basic '94 Trans Am convertible with an auto trans and a few cosmetic modifications, well into the 6-figure mileage range.

KBB lists this car right around $3,000, but I think that's probably a bit low. In my area, cars like this are listed for around $4500-6000 at that mileage. A few are listed at $6k+ but they have much lower mileage and/or have been listed for so long that they are clearly not going to sell for those higher prices. You could check your local Craigslist for listing prices of similar mileage and condition examples to get an idea of any possible regional adjustment in value for your location.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:11 AM
Launching!

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree with RPM WS6, I think you could expect to get $5,000.00. It is too bad the factory hood doesn't come with the car.

You need to show it off once you have it properly cleaned (wheels, engine bay), the convertible tonneau cover option is one you need to set you apart.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the input. I have looked on Craigslist but there are no 94's or any where close to that area cars on there that aren't wrecked. I have it listed for 4500 and felt that was fair, but wondered if I may be off base- I have gotten mostly ridiculous low ball offers on it. Thank you for the information!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanya Shelnutt
Thanks for the input. I have looked on Craigslist but there are no 94's or any where close to that area cars on there that aren't wrecked. I have it listed for 4500 and felt that was fair, but wondered if I may be off base- I have gotten mostly ridiculous low ball offers on it. Thank you for the information!
As a 'vert owner myself I believe you are being quite fair in your asking price of $4500. The problem right now is the time of season, unless you live in a warm southern state. Even then the holiday season can be a bear to sell a car. If you can hang in there until April, $4,000 should be a 'sure thing'. A running 'vert with everything working, has the boot cover (those plastic pieces) and just a tail lens to repair should be a desirable car for someone. Even if the new buyer has to change the fluids and get new tires, $4,000 is still a good price.
Just for your own info, a V8 engine for that year is called an LT1 that produces just under 300 horsepower. Sound informed when talking about the car so potential buyers won't try to take advantage.
Best of luck with your sale.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by NC01TA
As a 'vert owner myself I believe you are being quite fair in your asking price of $4500. The problem right now is the time of season, unless you live in a warm southern state. Even then the holiday season can be a bear to sell a car. If you can hang in there until April, $4,000 should be a 'sure thing'. A running 'vert with everything working, has the boot cover (those plastic pieces) and just a tail lens to repair should be a desirable car for someone. Even if the new buyer has to change the fluids and get new tires, $4,000 is still a good price.
Just for your own info, a V8 engine for that year is called an LT1 that produces just under 300 horsepower. Sound informed when talking about the car so potential buyers won't try to take advantage.
Best of luck with your sale.
Thanks! Yeah I said the same thing- this is not the time of year to be selling a car- much less a convertible. Thanks for the extra input on the engine- that's been the most asked question- is it a V6 or V8, and what size is it. And I'm all over here like " It runs.... and its fast...." So that info definitely helps!
Old 12-28-2016, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Up to $1,000 either way based on how fresh the mechanicals are (brakes, tires, suspension, steering, opti-spark, spark plugs and wires, fluid flushes and changes, AC system service, etc. Some of these $4,500 cars could need $2,000+ in the next 1-2 yrs. Many potential buyers will want to know. For a 1994 in this price range, the aftermarket seats and hood are really not an issue. While it might be better if they were clean and 100% stock, the difference is probably no more than $200. To some, they'd prefer the added pizzaz....good for a couple of trophies at the local car shows.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me start of by stating I think you are in the general ballpark but more importantly is the timeframe you desire to sell in as that will substantial change the amount that you want to have your car listed at for the following reasons (i.e. I don't claim to be an expert but would make the claim that I probably follow the LT1 market more than anyone.)

Generally speaking the LT1 market has been in an extreme slump for quite a few years now and for the forseeable future (my lifetime) I don't expect that to change.

The reality is that it is a matter of supply and demand and with LS1 cars slowly dropping in price this definately does not make it any easier in trying to sell an LT1 based platform car.

The second reality is that your generally appealing to one of two audiences...Those that for some odd reason have an appeal to the LT1 platform (which for the most part are non existent) and those that are looking for a cheap performance car.

So let us assume a case example in the first group. There for some odd reason is one person in the US specifically looking for a LT1 Firebird Convertible (I will say that for what ever reason 4th Gen Firebirds don't seem to have a big cult following for convertibles it almost seems as though they are harder to sell). The key here is to ensure that you are the cheapest avaialbe option within extremes (substantial mileage or condition differences). The reasoning behind this is that those looking specifically for an LT1 Convertible without restrictions such as Firehawk or WS6 are probably going to be limited to none.

Now lets focus in on the second group with a case study. The reality is that the LT1 platform only offers one substantial benefit and that is that there one of the few decent performing fairly realiable cars that you can get sub $5k. The problem here is your audience isn't specific they arent looking for an exact make, model, mileage, color interior, etc.... they are looking for the most bang for the dollar. With this being said an OBD1 High Mileage Base Model Firebird Convertible (not in a negative way as the car is very nice for what it is) is not necessarily going to jump to the front of the pack when you can get WS6, SS, and even C4 vettes for around $5K.

So now to my point if your are in no rush to sell then I would suggest to stay around that $4 to $4.5K range and hope that you get some youngin looking for a cheap performance car.

If your are in a rush to sell you need to move to be the cheapest on the market in a set region. There are literally hundreds of LT1 based cars that have been sitting on the market over a year (mine included lol). It is a buyers market and your definately going to be in a situation that you have to take what you can get as it might be 6+ months before you even get another inquiry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 Trans Am Convertible, what's it worth?