What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Camaro Z28 SS Coupe 6-spd 7000 miles

Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just noticed it's now been 2 months since the car was posted for sale. Current ask price of $16,500. Spring is upon us.

http://s360.photobucket.com/user/nov...tml?sort=3&o=1
Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winter is fighting tooth and nail, but I can see signs of Spring (finally!).
Ive had a few dreamers and tire kickers, but nobody prepared to buy a car.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update for those who have been following along...

Sold the car two weeks ago for $15k with new tires as a condition of sale because he had a 4-hour drive home and didn't want to chance it on the old rubber. Tires cost me $500 on the nose, so you could say I got $14,500 after all was said and done.

In the end, I think I could have held out for another $1000-$1500, but I was happy with the final number. It was well north of what I thought the car was worth when I first obtained it and before I had done any research. No sense beating the guy up. He was buying the car to relive his second childhood, not as a flip or investment. Both parties were happy with the deal.

I have to give a sincere "Thank you!" to all who had input on the car's potential value as well as those who were able to spot items that had been modified. It gave me a good starting point prior to negotiations.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice to hear the car sold and you're happy with the transaction. It gives us all another data point to go by. In looking back, maybe I was too tough calling the price range $13K-$14.5K. In any case it would appear the new owner got a good deal that for a 7K mile M6 that most dealers couldn't or wouldn't possibly match. Pretty crafty of the buyer "nibbling" for another $500 on the tires.

What tires did you end up putting on the car?
Old 05-02-2017, 02:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Thanks for posting the details of the sale, as Firebrian said it's a good data point. $15k is what I predicted back in January I think, and I still believe that's a fair price for both buyer and seller.

FWIW, there is another '98 SS just like yours currently for sale in my area, except that it has about half the mileage and an auto trans. It was priced at $19.5k for a while, and was recently reduced to $18.9k. It's still overpriced IMO and likely won't sell until the owner is willing to accept a figure around the ~$16k mark. Granted, the auto is less desirable but being under 5k miles is something of a mental bonus to some collectors, plus this car appears to be unmodified other than the aftermarket Bowtie grille, the SLP windshield banner, and the "330hp" decals on the hood (all of which can be reversed.) Here is a link:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/6104502933.html

When the original ad was posted, I was actually very interested in the car and figured I'd wait until the price came down to something reasonable before contacting the seller. But that first ad didn't contain anything regarding the VIN or build date data so I was just hoping that it was an early-build SS car such as the one in this thread. However, the data on the SVE (new name for SLP) printout included with this newer ad indicates an early May build date for this car, so it's in the hit-or-miss category for the bubbling roof issue - not something I care to contend with, especially for a hardtop car. But I'm sure he'll find a buyer who either doesn't know about or isn't concerned with the issue.

It will be a tough sell getting anything close to $20k for a '98 automatic car though, bubbling roof or not the price will need to come down a bit more IMO.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$15k for a 7,000 mi example of a '98 SS... fair to both parties. Even with the tires you needed to buy $14,500 is still well done.

I said it before, my '00 was $12,500 with 13,xxx mi on it. Not an SS. Not a hardtop. No leather. No SLP options. No colormatched paint
Old 05-02-2017, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Thank you for the follow-up. Not many posters bother.
I sure was off by a few grand. I said no lower than $16-$17k.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Since this thread is back up, just thought I'd revisit the below as well....

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5948505547.html

This owner has misrepresented some important facts about his car. The ad claims that it’s “totally unmodified and unmolested in perfect condition”. This is not true. That exhaust system appears to be an aftermarket SLP catback (based on the tips), likely either the “SLP Loudmouth” I or II. This system was not a factory/SLP Y2Y option on any year, and was definitely installed post-delivery. Or perhaps just the tips were changed but, regardless, what is visible of the exhaust is not stock. Then there is the “SLP” badge just beside the “SS” badge near the passenger side tail light. This badge was not part of any Y2Y option or package, nor part of the base WU8 package; these were sold years ago as an aftermarket item via SLPonline.com. Lastly, there is the bowtie grille - also an aftermarket SLP item. There was a similar grille available as a Y2Y option, but those had an “SS” in the middle rather than a bowtie. There are no engine bay pictures, but my guess is that this car likely also has an aftermarket SLP (or equivalent) air lid and possibly a smooth bellow installed (these are very common modifications which are often installed on cars that also have the above mentioned SLP “Loudmouth” catback.)

There certainly isn’t anything wrong with any of these modifications, but an uninformed seller who makes such definite (but incorrect) claims, as shown in this ad, risks being seen as dishonest. Better to say nothing than to make false claims....but the best option is obviously to do some research and be informed. He could have simply come to LS1Tech, just like you, and quickly learned all these facts about his vehicle.

And since we’re also on the topic of condition and price, the ’01 SS in this ad is a good example of one that’s overpriced - especially for its presentation. This is not a $21.5k car at all; it’s arguably the least desirable color and it’s certainly not “perfect” as presented. The wheel well lips and inner hoop of the wheels are visibly dirty and, based on this, I’m sure a great deal of other areas are not perfectly detailed either. The ad is written in such a way as to suggest that this is a “perfect” show-worthy vehicle (which would be expected at that price), but it has certainly not been detailed as such in those photos. Many enthusiasts don’t seem to truly understand the difference between “clean” and “CLEAN.”
The above car has a new listing, same pictures and same inaccuracies as it did prior:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/6113999145.html

The price has come down by $1k, but it still won't sell at $20.5k. The overall presentation of the above car is greatly inferior to that of novawagonmaster's. I just don't understand why anyone would price their car at or near the top of the market but not take the time to at least detail and present it properly and accurately in an ad.

On the other hand, I think novawagonmaster did an excellent job with his presentation (above any beyond with the detailing - great work!) and his research, presenting the car accurately and impressively, while also being fair and realistic about the price. Definitely a person who actually wanted to sell his car.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

FWIW, there is another '98 SS just like yours currently for sale in my area, except that it has about half the mileage and an auto trans. It was priced at $19.5k for a while, and was recently reduced to $18.9k. It's still overpriced IMO and likely won't sell until the owner is willing to accept a figure around the ~$16k mark. Granted, the auto is less desirable but being under 5k miles is something of a mental bonus to some collectors, plus this car appears to be unmodified other than the aftermarket Bowtie grille, the SLP windshield banner, and the "330hp" decals on the hood (all of which can be reversed.) Here is a link:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/6104502933.html
Interesting that the seller says not to waste their time with lowball offers. Yet, they waste their entire audience on an unrealistic high ball offer. It works both ways. I wonder where they came up with the 330 hp number? My '99 M6 came from SLP with perf exhaust and rating was 327 hp.

I think they're $2500-$3000 high as well too. A year or so ago a 3K mile black '99 WS6 M6 was on Ebay and sold for just over $19K. Figure the WS6 brings about $1500 more than an SS, and the M6 is another $1,000 premium.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:23 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Interesting that the seller says not to waste their time with lowball offers. Yet, they waste their entire audience on an unrealistic high ball offer. It works both ways.
I wonder what he considers to be a "low ball" offer? If he's turning down offers in the $16-17k range then he's not very serious about selling the car. On the other hand, I could understand his angst if offers of $10k were coming his way (probably what a dealer might offer, or maybe not even that.)

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I wonder where they came up with the 330 hp number? My '99 M6 came from SLP with perf exhaust and rating was 327 hp.
For '98 and some of '99, the SLP literature gave the performance exhaust cars a 327hp rating as you stated above. Later in '99 (I don't remember exactly when) the rating was bumped to 330hp and it stayed that way for the 2000 MY as well.

But this '98 in question clearly has the base exhaust and, according to the SVE (SLP) docs, was never optioned with the dual/dual catback in the first place. So, no idea why he picked that number. SLP used to sell several decals through their aftermarket site, also including 335 and 345hp decals.

Search this Thread