What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

'72 Stingray Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default '72 Stingray Auto

My fiancee has a '72 Stingray with painted t-tops in a medium to dark blue she is thinking of selling. I'm not completely familiar with all the details, but it has a salvage title, it floated in Katrina and the rear end clunks around turns due, no doubt, to a lack of the slip diff additive. The body isn't perfect, but the motor and tranny are fine. I'd say it's a 6 out of 10 overall, since a little of everything needs work.

I'm going to get pics from her soon, but any guesses on the value? I said maybe 10k, she has it insured for 14-15k IIRC. Thoughts? Thanks in advance, guys!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

A salvage title Corvette that floated in Katrina and you're thinking $10,000??? I personally wouldn't buy it period, not even for $2,000. Too much aggravation and it will never be worth anything again. The title situation never goes away. There are many half decent '72 Corvettes on the market, and for fair prices. It's not that rare of a Corvette to command the money you are talking about.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
A salvage title Corvette that floated in Katrina and you're thinking $10,000??? I personally wouldn't buy it period, not even for $2,000. Too much aggravation and it will never be worth anything again. The title situation never goes away. There are many half decent '72 Corvettes on the market, and for fair prices. It's not that rare of a Corvette to command the money you are talking about.
This reply has officially been nominated for best post of the year....
Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 18wheelsofsteel
This reply has officially been nominated for best post of the year....
I laughed at first but now .
I shouldn't have been so hard on themealonwheels. The OP may not know values and is just trying to ask an important question for his GF.
themealonwheels, Here is an example of what is available out there for about $10,000. It may help to see real world asking prices for what I call half decent Corvettes without a catastrophic past.
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...ationId=289071
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8 years ago i sold a 75 stingray red/black in amazing shape with brand new corvette red paint and 350 small block i got 8,000 and i sat on it for 3 months at 10..... it was a nice car...... today i might have gotten the 10 for it.....

trouble you run into is the salvage title. me personally would spend 2 more thousand for a car with a clean title
Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I laughed at first but now .
I shouldn't have been so hard on themealonwheels. The OP may not know values and is just trying to ask an important question for his GF.
themealonwheels, Here is an example of what is available out there for about $10,000. It may help to see real world asking prices for what I call half decent Corvettes without a catastrophic past.
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...ationId=289071
There ya go, I am asking for my fiancee. I have no vested interest in the car, she does as it was her fathers. FYI, she was on the coast throwing stuff upstairs to save during Katrina, the 'vette wasn't a priority

Originally Posted by StreetGliderX
8 years ago i sold a 75 stingray red/black in amazing shape with brand new corvette red paint and 350 small block i got 8,000 and i sat on it for 3 months at 10..... it was a nice car...... today i might have gotten the 10 for it.....

trouble you run into is the salvage title. me personally would spend 2 more thousand for a car with a clean title
I understand, this is a first step. I actually looked on eBay shortly after I posted and found a really nice deep red '72 stingray for around 15k. It was well worth it, hers not likely. It will be a learning experience, and no doubt some tough decisions will be made. Thanks for the insight!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bringing this back... the 'Vette sat for a year or two with only occasional drives up and down the driveway at her father's place. For some reason, she decided now is the time to sell it. So we put it on CL two weeks ago with the suggested asking price of $10K per her dad.

I fielded so many calls and almost turned into an automated call service, repeatedly explaining to people that the ad wasn't an error, it was flooded and the title says so. Tons of people turned away immediately.

However, we sold it Wednesday of this week for, get this, $9,000! I guess it's true, it's only worth what people are willing to pay for it! So, just some helpful feedback I guess, plus kind of gloating
Old 02-24-2017, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

FYI the fact that a car has a salvage title is not a good benchmark since there is no standard for what that means, My state stamps them is you have to make an accident report over 2500 in damage no matter what the year or value.. So if you scratch the fender of my Brand new 65000 dollar car, it gets the title stamped. Plus there are several ways to flush the brands off a title so the lack of a stamp says nothing...
Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
FYI the fact that a car has a salvage title is not a good benchmark since there is no standard for what that means, My state stamps them is you have to make an accident report over 2500 in damage no matter what the year or value.. So if you scratch the fender of my Brand new 65000 dollar car, it gets the title stamped. Plus there are several ways to flush the brands off a title so the lack of a stamp says nothing...
I'll do you one better. Apparently there is something as specific as a flood title. This car has a flood title, and unlike a salvage title, that can never be undone. Still, 9k! I didn't negotiate it, just that much interest. Blew me away...
Old 02-25-2017, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that went for higher than I would have thought given the flood title. And I hate to say it, but it would not be hard for someone to do a VIN swap and produce a "clean" title for it.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GimmeLSx
Wow, that went for higher than I would have thought given the flood title. And I hate to say it, but it would not be hard for someone to do a VIN swap and produce a "clean" title for it.
^^^ That's what I'm afraid of. I worked grand theft (auto) specifically for two years during my career in law enforcement in FL. The salvage yards, specifically in TN and TX at that time (late 80's, early 90's) were used frequently for such swaps. I would have hoped that time would have stopped this practice but I have no idea now since I am 'out of the loop'. I always remember working a case involving a rather new (back then) 1986 280ZX that took me through 3 states and several salvage yards. It was like putting together a giant puzzle. When I arrested the guy he actually complimented me. He figured there was no way he would be caught. With his past he got 5 years in the FSP.
themealonwheels, thank you for the followup after all these years. My head is spinning at that $9,000 price. You don't hear much about the Katrina cars anymore. An unfortunate part of our country's automotive past.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Hard to believe a post from 4 years ago comes back and you are still an active member of LS1Tech.

Right on NC01TA. Some people come and go with these cars, but some are hooked. Long live the 4th Gen Trans Am.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 70T/A400
Hard to believe a post from 4 years ago comes back and you are still an active member of LS1Tech.

Right on NC01TA. Some people come and go with these cars, but some are hooked. Long live the 4th Gen Trans Am.
Yessir!! Hooked, line, and sinker.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yessir!! Hooked, line, and sinker.
I can't help but notice that you are mad. Since i had virtually nothing to do with the sale other than posting it on craigslist, I'm sorry.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I can't help but notice that you are mad. Since i had virtually nothing to do with the sale other than posting it on craigslist, I'm sorry.

There must be some confusion here. Nothing about NC01TA's recent post suggests anger to me, in fact quite the opposite...

themealonwheels, thank you for the followup after all these years. My head is spinning at that $9,000 price. You don't hear much about the Katrina cars anymore. An unfortunate part of our country's automotive past.
I agree on both counts. Thanks for the follow up info after all this time, and I too am surprised it sold for so much with a flood title and the listed condition/issues (unless perhaps it's an original #'s matching BBC or LT1 car.)
Old 02-28-2017, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^ Thank you RPM WS6. Not sure where the 'mad' part was interpreted either.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You hit a damn grand slam. There is a fool born every day. The guy that I sell old raggedy corvette parts to from time to time pays no more than 20k for numbers matching BBC cars of steel bumper variety in superb condition. Just goes to show there's an *** for every seat. It's funny that everyone is an expert here. I don't think NC was mad at all. I need to find some more luck. I always end up buying high and selling low.

Quick Reply: '72 Stingray Auto