What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 Camaro SS Vert-----35th Anniversary--14k original miles-- near pristine

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro SS Vert-----35th Anniversary--14k original miles-- near pristine

Okay, so I'm looking to get some advice from the community, aka the experts. Heres what I have;
2002 camaro SS
VERT, auto, 35th, bone stock
Clean title and Carfax 14, XXX miles!
Car is near pristine, everything functions well, garaged kept entire life. Never modified or abused. No dents on entire car. No rust.
Please tell me what I should list it for and what to expect, how to prepare it for sale and best place to advertise something of this rarity. I'm from PA.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

When I see 35th Anniversary I think of the red 2002 Camaros like shown below. I wouldn't advertise yours in that fashion. I also don't like the tag on the front of the car unless you are a dealer.
A beautiful one or two owner car such as yours should bring a price in the upper teens. If it was under 10,000 miles, then I would say low 20's as an asking price. Upper teens should be the right price zone as that is what I would expect to pay for a 2002 'vert if it was described accurately. Hopefully the boot cover is still with the car too. If the tires are original Goodyears, you will need to allow $800 for the new buyer to get rubber. Do NOT put cheap foreign tires on there and say, 'new tires'. That would turn me off big time, and probably others as well. For special 'ultra low mileage' cars I would suggest Hemmings, Autotrader, and if you can tolerate the 'juvies', ebay. Just don't do a bidding format. Use BUY IT NOW obo. Best of luck!
2002 Camaro SS Vert-----35th Anniversary--14k original miles-- near pristine-0235thssdual-dualexhaust.jpg

Last edited by NC01TA; 04-21-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:21 AM

Nope, I'm not a dealer title in my name. And yes the red is stunning no doubt. Perhaps I will post it on here too. I guess anyone on the east coast could easily scoop it up! Well see
Old 04-21-2017, 08:24 AM

Old 04-21-2017, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

First off, you have a very nice Camaro there. It's my favorite color, and looks to be in great condition.

I agree with NC01TA about the description. Normally, when someone calls a 2002 Camaro SS a "35th Anniversary" car, they are referring specifically to the 35th "LE" (Limited Edition) package (example image posted above by NC01TA.) The 35th LE package includes specific stripes/badges/roof paint, specific seat covers, wheels, etc.

All 2002 Camaros (even V6 examples) originally came from GM with the "35th Anniversary" dash plaque, therefore it's redundant to call any non-LE example (such as yours) a 35th Anniversary since this automatically applies to all 2002 models.

Your car appears to be all stock and original other than the CAMARO lettering on the rear tail panel (these letters were not black from the factory, they were just body colored indentations with no colored inserts), the wiper blades (the assembly line didn't use those frameless blades on these cars, they were conventional Bosch units), and the battery. It appears to be an earlier '02 model due to the older style washer fluid cap.

I don't see any additional SLP content on this car, beyond the base SS (WU8) package. It's actually somewhat rare to find an '02 SS that wasn't optioned with anything beyond the base package, but that doesn't do anything to help value. You could check the passenger side door jamb for an additional SLP content sticker, but it doesn't appear this car ever had any additional options (unless it's something not visible, such as an Auburn rear.) And just an FYI, it's possible for it to have the "Y2Y" additional-content RPO on the SPID without actually having any additional content (this was done in the later years to allow for adding additional content later in the build process, should the buyer/orderer so choose.)

As for preparation for sale, I'd suggest doing a major detailing of the engine bay. It's nice, but it's not as spotless as it should/could be for a premium car such as this. The wheel center caps also appear to need some cleaning (they look a little dingy compared to the rest of the wheel, or perhaps the paint on them is just discoloring a bit?) I'd also make sure that areas such as the wheel wells are cleaned and prepped. Looks like the interior and jambs are already nice, as are lenses and weather strips.

Overall, the lack of additional (and desirable) SLP options and the automatic transmission will prevent this car from hitting the highest price tier for its condition/mileage. Don't get me wrong, I'm an auto-only guy myself and really like your car for exactly what it is, but most shoppers want the manual - therefore those examples enjoy a premium.

I don't know how quickly you want to sell, or what your local market is like (and/or if you're willing to do a long range deal with an interested party), but somewhere in the $16-18k range is probably right for this car. I've recently seen more desirable (meaning heavy SLP content) and lower mileage (meaning well under 10k) examples sell for listing prices of $18-19k, so I think you'll have to be somewhere at or under that to get the deal done. Granted, those were T/hardtop cars; the convertible top will add more value to the right buyer, but the majority of 4th gen shoppers seem to prefer hardtop or t-top examples.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:52 PM

Sounds exactly like what I was expecting, I was going to price it at 19.5 in hopes to get 18 firm
Old 04-21-2017, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

After reading the first post it sure sounded like it was coming from a dealer, or an amateur flipper who just got the car. Any original owner of the car would know it's NOT a 35th anniversary LE...which is what counts. Since the other guys already commented on value, I will as well. It doesn't sound like you know these cars very well. Someone apparently bought this from Prestige Motorcars or someone is trying to sell it for them. Why else would that plate be on there?

Don't think you'll get your "$18K firm." 4 years ago I passed on a 2 owner NBM, 2001 WS6 vert with 12K miles at $17,500...and that car is worth $1500 more than an SS any day. At that same time I was looking for SS verts and saw a couple sell off Ebay in the $16K-$17K range. One guy told me he wouldn't take anything less than $17,500 for his 12K mile black 2002 SS. And he didn't get that price via Ebay. Another time there was a 4K mile SOM 2002 SS A5 vert kicking around for a year on autotrader.com in the $22K-24K range. The dealer/flipper finally caved in and offered it up for under $19K....and SOM brings a 10% premium. I almost traveled to see if I had a chance of getting it before I got there.

Now being 4 yrs later it's not like these verts are worth more today. If you get $17,500 and the car needs nothing you'll be lucky. But I have to think $15,500-$16,500 is the more realistic range. No doubt you'll see dealers on line with similar cars at $19K-$25K....with about zero chance of ever selling. I've seen some recent sales of 2001/2002 6 speed TTops with 8K-12K miles in the $15K-$16K range. So this A4 vert shouldn't be all that much higher imo. It will be a decent value to some collector in the $15K-$16K range. It it were me, I wouldn't look to pay any more for one. To get the $17,500-$19K numbers you'd probably need this at under 5K miles. For the time I've been tracking these SS verts the past 5 years, I can't recall a single non-anniv LE with over 10K miles selling for more than $16,500-$17,500....and those were 2001/2002's. If a WS6 or Firehawk it would be a different story.

Hints on how to prepare it for sale? You can google on line for those tips.

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-22-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Firebrian
After reading the first post it sure sounded like it was coming from a dealer, or an amateur flipper who just got the car. Any original owner of the car would know it's NOT a 35th anniversary LE...which is what counts. Since the other guys already commented on value, I will as well. It doesn't sound like you know these cars very well. Someone apparently bought this from Prestige Motorcars or someone is trying to sell it for them. Why else would that plate be on there?

Don't think you'll get your "$18K firm." 4 years ago I passed on a 2 owner NBM, 2001 WS6 vert with 12K miles at $17,500...and that car is worth $1500 more than an SS any day. At that same time I was looking for SS verts and saw a couple sell off Ebay in the $16K-$17K range. One guy told me he wouldn't take anything less than $17,500 for his 12K mile black 2002 SS. And he didn't get that price via Ebay. Another time there was a 4K mile SOM 2002 SS A5 vert kicking around for a year on autotrader.com in the $22K-24K range. The dealer/flipper finally caved in and offered it up for under $19K....and SOM brings a 10% premium. I almost traveled to see if I had a chance of getting it before I got there.

Now being 4 yrs later it's not like these verts are worth more today. If you get $17,500 and the car needs nothing you'll be lucky. But I have to think $15,000-$16,500 is the more realistic range. It's not a 2001/2002 which bring $1500 more. No doubt you'll see dealers on line with similar cars at $19K-$25K....with about zero chance of ever selling. I've seen some recent sales of 2001/2002 6 speed TTops with 8K-12K miles in the $15K-$16K range. So this A4 vert shouldn't be all that much higher imo. It will be a decent value to some collector in the $15K-$16K range. It it were me, I wouldn't look to pay any more for one. To get the $17,500-$19K numbers you'd probably need this at under 5K miles. For the time I've been tracking these SS verts the past 5 years, I can't recall a single non-anniv LE with over 10K miles selling for more than $16,500-$17,500....and those were 2001/2002's not 1999/2000's. If a WS6 or Firehawk it would be a different story.

Hints on how to prepare it for sale? You can google on line for those tips. http://prestigemotorcarsofyork.com/

As aforementioned, the title is in my name. I own the car. I am not a dealer. I put the front license plate on it because I don't like the bare frame holder look. I have no affiliation with them I simple like the look and got the plate for free. And yes the reason I posted here was to be corrected here, rather than on a formal sales post.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...searchRadius=0

More nicely priced SS verts than I thought I would find on Autotrader:

2002 Z28 21K miles $14,777
2002 real SS anniv LE car 17,435 miles $15,988 - wow - but has 5 owners. Looks like no one drove it much though.
1999 black SS M6 11K miles $16,000
1998 SS Brickyard car 28K miles $13,900. Don't see too many '98 verts, let alone a Brickyard or Indy track car.
2002 WS6 A4 red 16K miles, $18,500. Not a bad deal imo. Most dealers offer at lower to mid-$20's. Worth $1.5K more than a 2002 SS

All nice deals imo, especially the 2002 anniv LE vert. Of course there are plenty of overpriced ones listed too into the $20's. The ones that will sell include the 4 Camaro's I listed above.

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-22-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Locked per user request.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS Vert-----35th Anniversary--14k original miles-- near pristine