What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 firebird formula 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 firebird formula 6 speed

I'm thinking of selling my 98 Formula. It is red, 6 speed, leather interior, monsoon stereo, t tops, 61,500 miles on it. Interior is 9/10. Body is 8/10 with a little clear coat coming off front bumper.

It has aftermarket mods done to it.
SLP lid
Speed Engineering long tubes
ORY pipe going into Texas speed rumbler exhaust
16" drag radials on the back. (never been on track yet)
Strano lowering springs
Cross drilled rotoros
MAF delete with smooth bellow
EGR delete
Ls6 intake with catch can
Ported throttle body
Tick SNS stage 3 cam
Stock heads
Cam install and dyno done by Steve Williams(tuned by frost)
It put down 390hp and 375tq before smooth bellow and new exhaust.
I know it is close to 400 now cause if felt a big difference going from the Flowmasters to Rumbler exhaust.

Only thing is when I bought the car it had previous front end damage on the passenger side. The dealer I bought it from fixed it and put a new front clip on it and now it has is a rebuilt title. Not a salvage title, but a rebuilt title. It runs 100% and drives 100%. I've owned it over 3 years now and it only see's clear weather. Garage kept all the time, cold ac, no t top leaks, no dash cracks.

I'm trying to get a idea on what to ask for on the selling price. It is not a WS6, It is a Formula loaded with all options.
Attached Thumbnails 1998 firebird formula 6 speed-frrrr.jpg   1998 firebird formula 6 speed-firebird.png  

Last edited by punkysable; 08-19-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:52 AM
Teching In

The picture with the black wheels and stripes is plasti dip, the other picture is what the wheels look like without the dip on them. I'm just trying to find out a good asking price for the car.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry, but a "rebuilt" title IS a salvage title in North Carolina. Without looking at the quality of the repair work, it's a shot in the dark on price. My guess is no more than 6 or 7k best case scenario. Aftermarkt mods don't really help you. The quality of the installtion comes into question on some of those. Without more detailed images and more detail about the repair, it's really hard to say how much that car is really worth.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The rebuilt title was needed to get a salvaged car back on the road again with proper title/registration. Someone had to do the repairs to a certain min level and then get it certified to state motor vehicle standards by someone.

In any case it would be an ideal car for you to just run into the ground over the next 10-15 years. Most buyers are going to shy away from a rebuilt title. If the car were never damaged it would probably be worth in the $8K-$10K range. Those mods would be worth something since it did take the car up 50-75 hp.

The range of $6K-$7K range seems reasonable. Since local/regional demand will be the driver, the range may be irrelevant. It comes down to what you get offered. For a thumb rule for rebuilt cars, I estimate 65-70% of what the car would have been worth w/o damage. I've never owned a rebuilt title car or tried to sell one. The rebuilt title will severely drop demand for the car. And I think the plasti-coated wheels and stripes, and drag radials will only make it more difficult to sell. In the photos the car looks attractive. Not a fan of stripes that were never an option for a certain model of car. In this case those stripes look something you could have gotten on 1971-1974 Plymouth GTX's or Roadrunners or maybe an early Camaro(?) and/or old/new Challengers(?). Can't recall those stripes on a Firebird of any era. Could be wrong though.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-20-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,073 Posts

That $6-7k range is probably about the best you'll do. Some really nice, very low mileage Formulas have been listed around here lately - cars with clean titles and mileage in the 20-30k range. One sold for about $11k, the others have gone nowhere at prices of $13-14k. So yours might have been worth $9-10k with a clean title as mentioned above, but the rebuilt title is going to hurt value quite a bit.

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Not a fan of stripes that were never an option for a certain model of car. In this case those stripes look something you could have gotten on 1971-1974 Plymouth GTX's or Roadrunners or maybe an early Camaro(?) and/or old/new Challengers(?). Can't recall those stripes on a Firebird of any era. Could be wrong though.
Those are Grand Sport stripes, based on Corvette styling.

I definitely agree that the plasti-dipped wheels and stripes really hurt the image of the car, they just make it look cheap IMO - especially the wheels. I'd remove both, get some much better pictures (including interior), and you'll probably get more interest.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I'm more in the $5k range to be honest. Not having a clean title (even in a near 20 year old car) is still a negative, and the mods scream 'abuse' whether real or just imagined. Despite my negativity, GLWS!!
Old 08-20-2017, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I'm more in the $5k range to be honest. Not having a clean title (even in a near 20 year old car) is still a negative, and the mods scream 'abuse' whether real or just imagined. Despite my negativity, GLWS!!
Like i said, I was stating best case scenario. I'd need to see the car in person to know for sure, but if it's in the kind of condition that normally fetches 10k or more, then sure. 6 or 7k isn't necessarily unreasonable even with a rebuilt title.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. The black plasi dip was removed two weeks ago. Just something I messed with when I was out of work in April for thumb surgery. Crazy things you will do when you are bored. Idk about the "mods" screaming abuse. I'm 45 years old, my abuse days are way long ago. I have had the car almost 3 1/2 years now. Got it with 54,000 miles on it. So 10,000 miles in 3 1/2 years is not that bad. There are very few people that do not mod their cars. I just wanted it to have more power and keep the parts simple that worked together. When I bought it the only thing it had on it was flowmasters, everything else was bone stock.

Cars with a blemish on the title always get a bad wrap and I know i'll never get top dollar for it. One of the cleanest interiors I have ever seen loaded with leather. I drove it from North Carolina to Pennsylvania twice this year with no issues and would not be afraid to drive it anywhere. I got better pictures but they were too big to load on here. I'm going to ask $7,500 for it around where I live and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help and NC01TA work on that negativity. Positive=Positive!!
Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

^^^ I certainly will try. I just don't like painting too positive a spin and then open disappointment for the seller. I've messed up enough on the ultra low mileage trailer queen cars, thinking sellers could get more than they wanted. I agreed with top dollar but it doesn't seem to happen.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like they put a Trans Am front clip on it?

price depends on how fast you want to move it...would probably sell fairly fast at $5,500.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Cahill93Z28
Looks like they put a Trans Am front clip on it?
Yeah, I figured that was done by request during the front end rebuild. If someone didn't ask for that, then using the wrong front bumper cover was really sloppy work by the shop that did the repair - or maybe they just used another car for parts? (since they would need different blinker lenses as well.)

Quick Reply: 1998 firebird formula 6 speed