What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

$40k for a '98 Formula WS6 with 1925 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $40k for a '98 Formula WS6 with 1925 miles?

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/6164831648.html
Old 06-06-2017, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

This one is not new, we've discussed it here before. The ad still contains some bad info (including claims of special injectors and specific factory tuning for WS6 - neither is true, both items were the same for every '98 LS1 car), and laughingly asks for "serious inquires only" when the price is anything BUT serious. This one goes a bit beyond dreaming and into the world of delusional. Half of that price might be a good starting point.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This one is not new, we've discussed it here before. The ad still contains some bad info (including claims of special injectors and specific factory tuning for WS6 - neither is true, both items were the same for every '98 LS1 car), and laughingly asks for "serious inquires only" when the price is anything BUT serious. This one goes a bit beyond dreaming and into the world of delusional. Half of that price might be a good starting point.
$40k and only two pics...the poor guy might not be all there...
Old 06-06-2017, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, but he gave us the money shot of the WS6 badge!

This is a Pontiac collector's dream car. No longer made; these cars will do nothing but go up in value.

That's his dream. It's highly likely this car will never be worth $39,900, even 50-100 years from now. Have to give them some credit for not asking $49,900 or $59,900.

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-06-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Teching In

My bad; I forgot I posted this one up a while back. Still good for a laugh and as a prime example of how NOT to advertise and price a car like this.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Nice guys. This is exactly why I didn't post it here. Everyone that has an asking price that is higher than others liking gets flamed and bashed. Thanks for the criticisms though; I've edited the ad to be more specific, but you guys knew what I meant. I'm not delusional, and I'm "all there". I'm just trying to get the most I can for something that is irreplaceable. Try and find another one with lower miles, and the condition is second to none. Otherwise, I'll keep it. This car will easily be worth my asking price some day if the mileage is kept ultra low like this. I don't need to defend myself on that one.

I'm glad I'm good for a laugh...
Old 08-31-2017, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JohnC
Thanks for the criticisms though; I've edited the ad to be more specific, but you guys knew what I meant.
To be honest, I'm still not sure what you mean. The 1998 tune, WS6 or not, is not more "performance orientated" than '99-'00 - though your injector information is now correct. 1998 uses a one year only specific PCM, it's actually inferior to the '99+ PCM, and some folks switch to the later model PCM for serious modifications that require extensive tuning. The early LS1 (1998) PCM is certainly fine for a car such as this, but it has a slower processor, more limited capabilities, and definitely not a better factory tune.

Try and find another one with lower miles, and the condition is second to none.
This very well might be true in terms of a WS6 Formula, the car sure does look beautiful and completely original, but that doesn't change market reality. If the car was worth that kind of money, it would have sold by now. Serious buyers will be driven away by an asking price that is too far from reality.

Have you had it professionally appraised? Just wondering where that price comes from in the first place, since I don't believe there are any data points of stock LS1 4th gens with 4-digit mileage selling for greater than original MSRP.

This car will easily be worth my asking price some day if the mileage is kept ultra low like this. I don't need to defend myself on that one.
You could be right, depending on how long you're willing to wait and especially if you don't account for inflation (though it may never appreciate faster than what you spend annually for proper agreed value insurance at your assigned value, plus maintenance costs over those decades.) In the mean time though, you'd be better off with a more traditional form of investment, the returns would be much higher as none of these cars will ever be the next Hemi Cuda.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:19 PM
Teching In

I never understand why owners on any site (Pick your car flavor) bash these kinds of Ads. You should be promoting and encouraging a sell this high. It only brings up the value of the cars as more people turn them over. Appraisals, kbb, edmunds, and NADA all base their pricing on aggregate sales data.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:38 PM
Teching In

To be honest, I'm still not sure what you mean. The 1998 tune, WS6 or not, is not more "performance orientated" than '99-'00 - though your injector information is now correct. 1998 uses a one year only specific PCM, it's actually inferior to the '99+ PCM, and some folks switch to the later model PCM for serious modifications that require extensive tuning. The early LS1 (1998) PCM is certainly fine for a car such as this, but it has a slower processor, more limited capabilities, and definitely not a better factory tune.

This very well might be true in terms of a WS6 Formula, the car sure does look beautiful and completely original, but that doesn't change market reality. If the car was worth that kind of money, it would have sold by now. Serious buyers will be driven away by an asking price that is too far from reality.

Have you had it professionally appraised? Just wondering where that price comes from in the first place, since I don't believe there are any data points of stock LS1 4th gens with 4-digit mileage selling for greater than original MSRP.

You could be right, depending on how long you're willing to wait and especially if you don't account for inflation (though it may never appreciate faster than what you spend annually for proper agreed value insurance at your assigned value, plus maintenance costs over those decades.) In the mean time though, you'd be better off with a more traditional form of investment, the returns would be much higher as none of these cars will ever be the next Hemi Cuda.

I can't believe you are going over my ad with a fine tooth comb, but thanks I guess. The information in the ad was published information that I read. I'll take the CPU stuff out of my ad if it's wrong. You are right regarding value. I'm in a tough spot. There is not a lot of data on the value, so it is difficult to price. So I am going based on mileage, condition, and comparing other vehicles.

Originally Posted by KyleF
I never understand why owners on any site (Pick your car flavor) bash these kinds of Ads. You should be promoting and encouraging a sell this high. It only brings up the value of the cars as more people turn them over. Appraisals, kbb, edmunds, and NADA all base their pricing on aggregate sales data.

Thanks! jeezzz...
Old 08-31-2017, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

This ad was not posted in the LS1Tech classifieds, it was a CL find and presented, by a 3rd party, in our "What's it Worth" section for discussion.

This section exists specifically for price discussion - we do not allow such discussion to derail actual classified postings in our classifieds section.

Keeping in mind that we are currently within the "What's it Worth" section, promoting/supporting an unrealistically high price is a disservice to both the seller and the community at large. Again, we don't allow hassling within an actual ad in our classifieds section (and those types of comments are removed if reported/found), but to give folks gross amounts of false hope would be irresponsible and contrary to the useful purpose of this section.

It is not our purpose to influence the market in any direction; this is a tech discussion site, and in that spirit we wish for this section to be useful, accurate and realistic to every degree possible.

Lots of great data is shared in this WIW area, though the truth is sometimes not popular. Some folks want to actually sell a car, some hope they have a winning lotto ticket - to each his own, but discussion in this section is not restricted to positive encouragement which ignores market data.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:10 PM
Teching In

This ad was not posted in the LS1Tech classifieds, it was a CL find and presented, by a 3rd party, in our "What's it Worth" section for discussion.

This section exists specifically for price discussion - we do not allow such discussion to derail actual classified postings in our classifieds section.

Keeping in mind that we are currently within the "What's it Worth" section, promoting/supporting an unrealistically high price is a disservice to both the seller and the community at large. Again, we don't allow hassling within an actual ad in our classifieds section (and those types of comments are removed if reported/found), but to give folks gross amounts of false hope would be irresponsible and contrary to the useful purpose of this section.

It is not our purpose to influence the market in any direction; this is a tech discussion site, and in that spirit we wish for this section to be useful, accurate and realistic to every degree possible.

Lots of great data is shared in this WIW area, though the truth is sometimes not popular. Some folks want to actually sell a car, some hope they have a winning lotto ticket - to each his own, but discussion in this section is not restricted to positive encouragement which ignores market data.
What difference does it make which section the hassling is in?? You're hassling. Great data?? All I see are peoples' opinions. And you know what the say about opinions...

I didn't ask for "false hope." Look, I'm not asking that outrageous of an amount for the car. You can find others in the ballpark with more miles. Please again, listen to your mother's advice. If you can't say anything nice...
Old 08-31-2017, 02:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I can't believe you are going over my ad with a fine tooth comb, but thanks I guess. The information in the ad was published information that I read. I'll take the CPU stuff out of my ad if it's wrong.
Just trying to provide accurate information to dispel rumors/myths/falsehoods. IMO, if you are going to ask a premium price (probably in the top 1% in this case), then the presentation should be equally high level and will be better received by perspective buyers when it does not include false or incorrect claims.

You are right regarding value. I'm in a tough spot. There is not a lot of data on the value, so it is difficult to price. So I am going based on mileage, condition, and comparing other vehicles.
Was an appraisal done by a reputable source? Have you tried the auction route (such as Mecum, as they are more accessible than B-J and the like)? Even running it through Ebay would give you some further data on how high some buyers might be willing to go.

Don't get me wrong, you certainly have a beautiful car that is likely worth just about as much as any WS6 Formula could be (the color is common, but also quite desirable), but even highly SLP optioned Formula Firehawks in rare colors are not selling for over their original MSRP with 4-digit mileage.

It's understandable if you'd rather keep it than sell for a price that you don't feel good about. But if you truly want to get the car sold, you'll need to re-evaluate the asking price.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:31 PM
Teching In

I'm glad I'm good for a laugh...
No need to take it personally but the general consensus is that the car is way overpriced and is poorly represented in your ad because of some false statements and lack of detailed pictures. The bottom line is that you are asking top dollar for a car like that and the ad comes across as if you don't have a clue what you are talking about. That is where the amusement comes from.

I have noticed that car for sale on CL for a LONG time now...that fact alone should tell you all you need to know about your asking price.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

What difference does it make which section the hassling is in?? You're hassling.
Understand that this section is a resource for both sellers AND buyers. We don't disallow folks from posting up an ad when they are shopping to get the community's thoughts on value. That is the difference between this discussion section and an actual classified ad.

If you had posted a classified thread in our classified section, we would not allow price hassling to take place within your ad.

Great data?? All I see are peoples' opinions.
Then you haven't spent much time looking at the factual data points posted in many threads of this section. Many have found this section helpful, and much useful information has been shared over the years.

Look, I'm not asking that outrageous of an amount for the car. You can find others in the ballpark with more miles.
The amount does seem to be unprecedented, at least as an actual sale price, to the best of my knowledge. If you have a professional appraisal or have completed auction data that supports such value, that would certainly be interesting to see and some useful data for future discussion.

Please again, listen to your mother's advice. If you can't say anything nice...
Prior to your posts in this thread today, this was a random CL ad discussion started by someone who had apparently been shopping for cars of this category. If you weren't interested in discussion, why dig up this old thread from months ago? I'm sorry that you're unhappy with market reaction to the car, but there is certainly some constructive information given above.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:42 PM
Teching In

What difference does it make which section the hassling is in?? You're hassling. Great data?? All I see are peoples' opinions. And you know what the say about opinions...

I didn't ask for "false hope." Look, I'm not asking that outrageous of an amount for the car. You can find others in the ballpark with more miles. Please again, listen to your mother's advice. If you can't say anything nice...
LOL!

No one is hassling you. I linked to your for sale ad that was posted in a public forum long before you showed up in this thread; if anyone is hassling, it is you because you don't seem to like what we are saying about your unrealistic asking price - and yes, it is still overpriced at the $35,900 you have it at now.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Teching In

You missed the point. I understand what this section is for. However, post like this are no unique to here or any other board. I often time see owners bemoaning the asking price of a seller from another source. More often than not, same rules apply there as here: No such bashing on a post on the site, but from another source is fine. I am all on board with that.

My point is, why are owners of said car not encouraging such pricing rather than bashing it given sales data is what drives prices. This includes appraisals. It even effects auction prices as people going to the auction will have looked around at asking prices of many cars before they start bidding. A strong sell will drive up the values of everyone's cars.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Teching In

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/c...276844363.html
Old 08-31-2017, 02:53 PM
Teching In

You missed the point. I understand what this section is for. However, post like this are no unique to here or any other board. I often time see owners bemoaning the asking price of a seller from another source. More often than not, same rules apply there as here: No such bashing on a post on the site, but from another source is fine. I am all on board with that.

My point is, why are owners of said car not encouraging such pricing rather than bashing it given sales data is what drives prices. This includes appraisals. It even effects auction prices as people going to the auction will have looked around at asking prices of many cars before they start bidding. A strong sell will drive up the values of everyone's cars.
The last time I checked, no one is collecting sales data on privately listed and sold cars, so your point is moot.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

We're getting way off-topic now, but the quick answer is that encouraging or supporting an unrealistic price, whether to a potential buyer or a seller, doesn't really help to influence the market but instead makes said supporter simply look out of touch with market reality.

You cannot "will" a car to a higher value, folks will only pay what they will pay, and the usefulness/credibility of a "What's it Worth" section is lost if the only purpose becomes an attempt at artificially inflating the value of a given platform.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GimmeLSx
No need to take it personally but the general consensus is that the car is way overpriced and is poorly represented in your ad because of some false statements and lack of detailed pictures. The bottom line is that you are asking top dollar for a car like that and the ad comes across as if you don't have a clue what you are talking about. That is where the amusement comes from.

I have noticed that car for sale on CL for a LONG time now...that fact alone should tell you all you need to know about your asking price.
Understand that this section is a resource for both sellers AND buyers. We don't disallow folks from posting up an ad when they are shopping to get the community's thoughts on value. That is the difference between this discussion section and an actual classified ad.

If you had posted a classified thread in our classified section, we would not allow price hassling to take place within your ad.

Then you haven't spent much time looking at the factual data points posted in many threads of this section. Many have found this section helpful, and much useful information has been shared over the years.

The amount does seem to be unprecedented, at least as an actual sale price, to the best of my knowledge. If you have a professional appraisal or have completed auction data that supports such value, that would certainly be interesting to see and some useful data for future discussion.

Prior to your posts in this thread today, this was a random CL ad discussion started by someone who had apparently been shopping for cars of this category. If you weren't interested in discussion, why dig up this old thread from months ago? I'm sorry that you're unhappy with market reaction to the car, but there is certainly some constructive information given above.
I corrected all of your points in my ad.

I came on here to gather more "data" regarding pricing.

My price right now is based on sales of BJ, mecum, cars-on-line, and other sources. I did look.

The title of the section is "what's it worth" --so you guys tell me....

Quick Reply: $40k for a '98 Formula WS6 with 1925 miles?