What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 C5 Z06 50k...with Ad..

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 C5 Z06 50k...with Ad..

It's mostly stock with about 51k on it. Owner claims mint condition but It's from Wisconsin which worries me as salt can be flung on to just by other cars parking by it in the same garage. I know he's asking way over blue book so what is the fair market value on this car...Any advice would be great as I really want to get in a C5 Z06... Thanks

Ad..https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/6156676817.html

Last edited by 99Custom; 06-14-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The car has been in Arizona since 2004, I don't think you need to be too worried about the leftover salt from the 2002-2004 period.

I'd say fair market value is $17,500-$20,000. While I've seen some lower mileage cars (25K-35K) list for $19K-$21K there's no way of knowing if they were problem-free and needing nothing like this 50k mile car claims to be.

$20K is probably their bottom line which in my mind is reasonable. It does appear that there are plenty of 30K-45K mile cars out there under $20K....and $1K-$2K or more cheaper than this one. I'd look around. There are plenty to look at and compare.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Custom
It's mostly stock with about 51k on it. Owner claims mint condition
"Mint" condition is a myth for a 51k mile car that's only 15 years old. There are examples with less than half that mileage, probably some with less than 1/4 that mileage. If this one is mint, then how would one describe a true garage queen show prepped example that has under 10k miles? You can basically disregard anyone who makes claims of "mint" for a car that's been driven 3400 miles per year for a decade and a half and hasn't undergone a nut and bolt rotisserie restoration.

However, at least in the ad, the seller doesn't seem to make any claims about mint condition:

As you can see in the pictures, it is in great condition inside and out. The paint and body is in great condition. There are a very few small rock chips on it from normal road wear which are hardly worth mentioning. There are two chips in the windshield that have been stabilized so they will not develop any further. It is very clean overall, and when freshly waxed, looks like glass. The car has never had any paint or body work done.
The seller seems to be realistic about the condition summary and it sounds like typical wear and tear for the mileage and age. If you have been in touch with him and he's otherwise claiming the car is "mint/perfect", then I would ask him to explain how he can consider a car mint with the above mentioned concerns that he has already outlined in his own ad. Buying a used car is always a risk - when/if there are inconsistencies in the seller's claims/story, that's a red flag IMO.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for the input from both you guys. The seller kind of contradicts himself in the title saying "Mint Condition" but then lists small issues. He also claims "like new" with over 50k miles which is impossible IMO especially since he's not the original owner so he has no clue how the car was treated before him.

I also agree the car is worth 20k max. I may be willing to pay that but I do see lower mile cars listed for that price all the time. My problem is most of them I find around my area are red or black and I don't want either of those colors.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't pay a dollar over $20K
Old 06-15-2017, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

No offense to any c5 owners, but I can't figure out why anybody would pay that for a c5. You can get a clean C6 for that price and it's a MUCH nicer car... Hell there is a clean c6 for cheaper with very similar miles... I wouldn't pay a dime over 16k for that c5 z06 lol

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/6155183349.html
Old 06-15-2017, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
No offense to any c5 owners, but I can't figure out why anybody would pay that for a c5. You can get a clean C6 for that price and it's a MUCH nicer car... Hell there is a clean c6 for cheaper with very similar miles... I wouldn't pay a dime over 16k for that c5 z06 lol

I don't think you can find the OP's C5 M6 for $16,000...short of knowing a dealership personally and having them owe you a favor on a future flip. Probably not going to happen. For us masses, $17K-$19K is probably what it would take for a decent 25K-55K mile Z06 M6. It's probably true that dealers hold the majority of the cars for sale.

If you're looking for an M6 which brings more money than an Automatic, then an automatic C5 or even C6 won't do. What's a manual C6 Z06 go for?

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-15-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

You aren't allowing for personal reasons why people want certain cars. Perhaps the OP wants a C5 model. If that's his thing, this Corvette he is talking about may be just the one. If really nice, worth every penny to him. Even though I can get one of those 'nicer' C6 cars too, I don't want one. I have a C4 (heaven forbid ) for my own personal reasons and have no desire to get anything else.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

True, some people like to get less performance and quality for more $. I was just giving my .02... He can look right over my post and so can you. My dad had a 96 Silver collectors coupe btw. Still one of my favorite cars.. They look great IMO.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

I honestly don't care much for the C6 body style unless it's the Z06. If I can get a good deal on one of those I would jump on it.Thanks for all the help, the seller doesn't want to budge on his price it seems so I'm going to keep on looking.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In a few months that seller will be hit with reality and will likely be contacting you with a "special" reduced price. With any luck, you would have found a much better overall Z06 by then.

One of my axioms with collector cars is that if you have intentions of selling your vehicle within 6 months, and a reasonable offer comes your way.....you take it. More often than not you will regret having passed on a fair offer. The majority of sellers don't price their cars to sell. So when someone asks about your car, it may be the only one. Best time to sell your car is when people are interested in it....not when you're interested in selling it.

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-19-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

True, some people like to get less performance and quality for more $.
It's not always about stock performance or perceived quality (and I say "perceived" because not everyone agrees on what defines quality when it comes to special interest cars), sometimes it's about styling preference or sentimental attachment to a certain generation/platform/etc. Anything can be made fast, especially when you're speaking about any LS-based late model Corvette. The sky is the limit on potential performance with these, and honestly a C5 Z06 is probably faster than an automatic LS2 C6 anyway (especially an '05 A4 such as linked above), stock for stock.

Originally Posted by Firebrian
One of my axioms with collector cars is that if you have intentions of selling your vehicle within 6 months, and a reasonable offer comes your way.....you take it. More often than not you will regret having passed on a fair offer. The majority of sellers don't price their cars to sell. So when someone asks about your car, it may be the only one. Best time to sell your car is when people are interested in it....not when you're interested in selling it.
Great advice indeed. IMO, even 6 months is too long unless you put it up for sale right at the end of the on-season/beginning of winter, and/or it's a vehicle that only appeals to a very small group of buyers (in which case, auction might be the best method of sale.) When the economy is decent, the more popular collector cars should sell within ~3 months if they are priced right, advertised right and listed in the spring season.

Most sellers think they have a pot of gold on their hands, looking for top dollar out of cars that are average at best. You can't blame folks for wanting the most money possible for their vehicle, but when you see some of these cars stay for sale for years (literally years, I've watched several like this in my area) you have to wonder why their owners' even bother to list them. I think they are just dreamers who are trying to win the lotto, so to speak. They don't really want to sell the car, but if someone comes along and is so awestruck by the car that they make an impulse buy without even bothering to investigate the market, well then so be it.

Of course, not all cars are overpriced by such a large margin. Sometimes you get these sellers that just won't budge a penny and will derail a deal over a very small percentage. That also makes no sense to me, assuming they actually want the car gone; who knows how much longer it might take to get another offer, one which may not be any better anyway. If an offer is within 90-95% of the asking price and it's been for sale for more than a few weeks, it really shouldn't even be a debate - take it and be happy that you can move on.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

An auto 2005 is for a completely different buyer type and a lot less desirable than a C5 ZO6. If the OP just wanted "A" corvette for cruising and looking good, then yes, buying a base C6 would be a better option than a C5 ZO6 for the same money.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Teching In

I personally do not like the looks of a C6 at all. That is 100% personal taste. If I was to buy a 'Vette, taking $$ out of the equation. Late C2, Early C3, Late C4, C5, or C7 only for me. Then other items would influence the decision.

Quick Reply: 2002 C5 Z06 50k...with Ad..