What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

275/40X17 Goodyear F1s ... 500 miles..

Old 08-16-2017, 05:41 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 275/40X17 Goodyear F1s ... 500 miles..

like new of course. Treated from day one with 303 and kept covered indoors. What are they worth? Four.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting question. Someday, maybe 1-2 decades away, they will be in hot demand for people displaying very low mileage (or restored) 1998-2002 era LS1 at shows. If I had to guess I'd say half the price of what they were new could be the current value to "someone." And that someone would likely be a collector with a 0-1000 mile high dollar show car that needs NOS-quality tires. Since many performance tire prices have essentially doubled over the past 15-20 yrs, maybe what they sold for new is a better gauge of their value.

Regardless, one is taking chances driving on 15-20 yr old tires, even if new and perfectly stored. If they were stored in a constant temperature, 0 humidity vacuum, then maybe they'd not deteriorate.

A few years ago I sold a set of 15 year old, very little used Firestone F70x14 reproduction redlines - got $280 for them shipped. I paid $400 new for them in the 1990's. New ones were up to $800+ today. They were going to be put on someone's trailer-driven show car.

I took off totally crack-free, 16 yr old GY F1's off my SS 2 yrs ago at 16K miles. Other than 50% tread left, they were fully functional....though at highway speeds who knows? For now, they sit in the basement. They do have some value.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-17-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:18 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,464 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Not sure on a specific value, but there will certainly be someone looking for these at some point. A few years ago, I had a friend with an exceptional '91 GTA; this was a 2700 mile car prepped for competition at the T/A Nationals (car took first place his second time out.) One thing he needed was a set of perfect condition Goodyear ZR50s to complete the package, these had long since been discontinued. I don't remember what he paid but it was quite a bit more than just spare change. So I agree with Firebrian, they do (or will) have value to the right person.

Tires age very slowly under proper storage conditions. I've owned antique cars with very old tires that had no issues with occasional local driving even when the rubber was 20+ years old, and higher speed rated tires (such as these) are typically built stronger and will endure better. Certainly not ideal for high stress or competitive driving situations, but not really an issue for mild use if they've been stored and maintained well.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but a major reason for issues with old tires, even on vehicles that are stored out of the sun and elements, is poor inflation monitoring. When I bought my '98, it was 6 years old and still on the original RSAs with 11k miles. The moment I first saw the car I asked the owner if he'd ever checked the tire pressure, because they looked low. He said that it had been "a while." The tires were down to 16psi cold, which is nearly 50% under-inflated. No telling how long they had been that way. Driving on them in this state is extremely hard on tires, leading to much greater heat related deterioration as they age. I think lots of limited-use vehicle owners underestimate the importance of tire inflation monitoring and fail to keep up on the task, which is why some experience failures that they really shouldn't have. The downside to buying them used is that you don't really know how they've been stored or under what conditions they were used, so the gamble is much bigger than if you were the original owner and took proper care of them.

FWIW, I'm up to 12 years/5,000 miles on the current set on my '98. Based on how I use/store the car, and how I care for the tires, I won't consider replacement until perhaps the 15-20 year mark - maybe longer.

Search this Thread