What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 Camaro SS. M6.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Camaro SS. M6.

2000 Camaro SS. M6. 102,000 miles. Original owner. Arctic White with Neutral(beige) interior.

I'm the original owner. Bought it new, straight off the truck December of 1999. I have never let another person drive it. Regular maintenance.

Totally stock because that's how I like them other than I removed the stupid body side molding. I'm the guy that parks a mile away and walks. I never park near other cars.

Was always garage kept and well taken care of until a few years ago. Went through a messy divorce. Lost my garage and everything else. In order to hang on to it, it became my daily driver for a couple years. 80+ miles a day back and forth to work put a good 40 to 50,000 miles on the car. I no longer drive it to work but it sets outside in the driveway.

The interior is practically brand new. The seats have always been covered with a folded towel and I'm conscious about getting in and out of them. I looked at a couple used ones before I bought this and the leather was always wrinkled already on 1 year old cars. The outside section from use. That always stuck with me. My almost 18 year old seats look better than in those cars.

The exterior is really good except one big problem thanks to SLP. The clear coat on the hood and spoiler is peeling. Looks terrible so they obviously need painted. The original ZR1 chrome wheels started leaking because of bubbled up chrome on inside of rim so they were replaced with the Z06 wheels and new tires.

As far as I know the car had every option available. M6 with Hurst short throw, SLP duel tip exhaust, Monsoon system with CD shuttle in trunk, leather, power everything, T-tops, etc. I even have the original SS floor mats still new in the bag.

The car is not for sale but I get people ringing the doorbell all the time asking. I am in a little need of cash right now and someone stopped on Saturday that really wants it. He keeps calling and texting even after I told him I don't really want to sell it.

I won't add pre conceived notions by listing his offers here. I told him, no, that's not enough to convince me to sell it. He want's me to name a price.

Last edited by Q3131A; 09-20-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only because of body work, I would say $8,500 range. If it needed no body work, I would say $9k. Sounds like a well-cared-for, nicely optioned M6
Old 09-20-2017, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Buyers and economic conditions are fleeting. You never know when you actually may "need" to sell it. And that's invariably when the buyers don't show up. If there's any notion in your mind that you would or should consider selling it in the next 6 months to 2 yrs, I'd consider any potential serious buyers as they show up. So many "buyers" want what they can't have. So they are persistent. When it comes time to pony up cash, then most of them disappear. It was just an "exercise" for them. They thought they wanted it, yet in reality, really didn't. Or they had no clue what the vehicle really costs out in the real market place.

If it helps any, I value my own 1999 SS M6 with 19K miles at $12K-$12.5K. Yours is a year newer and with a couple more options. So I'd bump it up to $13K-$14K if it had 19K miles. So, what to subtract for an extra 80K miles and peeling paint? The least 80K miles is worth is $4800 imo. The most, $6K. So figure a net $8K-$9K. Then include the paint at $1K min....$7K-$8K. That seems reasonable to me as I figure an A4 2000 SS with 100K miles is probably around $5K-$7K. If you can get $8K or more for the car I'd consider that to be excellent. Since you can never replace a car you bought new, it carries emotional value to you as well.

Not sure what you meant by removing the "stupid bumper trim." Do you mean the rear bumper cover? I don't see anything "removable" on my SS (front or rear) that wouldn't be a huge eye sore and cost $500-$1000 and up to replace/repair/repaint.

You can always toss out a price of $9K-$10K to keep lookers away. Every option in 2000 would have included traction control, custom front grille with SS logo, Bilstein performance suspension package ($1000), Auburn rear differential ($900), car cover, key Fobs, Castrol lubrication. I think you could even get a 1LE suspension/handling package in there as well...not sure. I always found it interesting that right on the window sticker they listed the "Hurst Short Throw Shifter." Yet in reality, the shifter stick was the same height as a stock GM. The pivot point was made a tad higher by the lower linkage. A short stick/short throw shifter would be 2-3 inches shorter than a stock stick.

Last edited by Firebrian; 09-20-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Firebrian,

Just out of curiosity, why do you value your SS so low? Sounds like I have the same car as you as a black/tan 2000, with 17k miles. Mine has every SLP option, including the Bilstein suspension. I figured mine was worth $17-18k...maybe I'm wrong?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Not sure what you meant by removing the "stupid bumper trim." Do you mean the rear bumper cover? I don't see anything "removable" on my SS (front or rear) that wouldn't be a huge eye sore and cost $500-$1000 and up to replace/repair/repaint.
Sorry, I fixed that. Was drawling a blank as I typed it. That's why I went on to explain parking out to avoid door dings.

What I meant was the body side moldings.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason E
Firebrian,

Just out of curiosity, why do you value your SS so low? Sounds like I have the same car as you as a black/tan 2000, with 17k miles. Mine has every SLP option, including the Bilstein suspension. I figured mine was worth $17-18k...maybe I'm wrong?
For one thing, I paid $11,950 for it with 12K miles from the original owner in Jan 2012 off an Ebay auction. I was the high bidder nationwide. I think there were 3 bidders over $11K. The other reasons are that I've seen some nice 2002 SS M6's with 8K-15K miles trading around $15.5K - maybe $16K tops. 3 model years difference and the more desirable 2001/2002 cars is approx $2K-$3K premium to my '99 SS. I could see a 2000 WS6 M6 with 17K miles being worth $16.5K....though I passed on one in 2011 from dealer who wanted upper $16's. I wanted to be in the $15's. I'd consider the WS6 worth $1500 more than a comparable SS of the same year. At that same time I passed on a silver 2000 Formula Firehawk M6 with 28K miles at $12,000-$12,500 from a dealer (only 4-7 built). That car was auctioned 3X on Ebay and could not stick in the $13K-$14K range. These experiences were 5 years ago. I don't think the cars are worth more today. I follow the 10-20% of cars that sell...not the 80% that have inflated asking prices.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I paid $13,500 in March 2012 for mine with 10k...and because it is a full SLP optioned car, I felt I robbed it. I know some value a WS6 higher than an SS, but in my opinion (and yes its indeed just my opinion), a full SLP SS should be worth at least as much as a WS6. A Hawk should be higher than both. If you parked a full SLP SS next to a comparable WS6, personally, I'd pay more for the SS because I value the SLP adds and know the difference they make.

I would've grabbed that Formula Hawk if it was any color but silver! That's my next purchase...the lowest mileage full SLP optioned M6 Formula Hawk I can find!
Old 09-21-2017, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I wouldn't take less than 10K but then again nobody on earth would pay what it would take to have mine. I've owned a 77 LT and an 81 Z28 and I hate myself for letting them go.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
I wouldn't take less than 10K but then again nobody on earth would pay what it would take to have mine. I've owned a 77 LT and an 81 Z28 and I hate myself for letting them go.
For awhile I kept everyone of those cars that I bought.Just because I bought a new one a few years later didn't mean I had to sell the last one I bought. I had a total of 5 from my very first car that I bought in 1989 to the last one that I bought in 2000.

I still have 3. A 1979 Camaro Z28 with under 60,000 miles, a 1981 Trans Am, and a 1981 Camaro. All bought from original owners.

My first car was a 1980 Trans Am that threw a rod bearing and was trapped at my parents. My mother had a yard sale and put a sign on it and sold it. Called me to bring the title. I didn't have room to bring it home at the time so I went through with the deal.

The other was another 1981 Camaro. My cousin wanted it from the day I bought it. After years of him begging for it because "I own a car lot worth of these cars and he doesn't have one" we came to an agreement. He gets bored really quick and gets rid of stuff fast. Agreement was that I would sell it to him but in a couple months after he had his fun, he would sell it back to me. This took years for me to agree to. Less than 2 weeks later my ex-wife called me at work and said she keeps seeing my car by her mothers house. The jerk broke our agreement and turned around and sold the car for a profit!!!! Needless to say, we no longer talk.

I regret both of those sales to this day. Kick myself everytime I think about it.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Last week I sent the guy a message that it would take at least $8,000 for me to consider selling it. No response. Funny how that happens. Figured that was that.

Yesterday he sent me 3 texts in a row. Telling me he has been doing his research in the car isn't worth that much. He also said he's been trying to come up with more money. He's got $5,000. In $100 bills like that's supposed to impress me or something.

I felt a little relieved when I didn't hear back from him but as firebrian said above it's kind of hard to turn away a serious buyer.
​​​​
Old 09-26-2017, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I could see why the "serious" buyer could feel $5,000 should get 'er done. That's the private party sale KBB value for a very good condition car with 102K miles. The problem is that doesn't give any additional value for frequent maintenance, 1 owner, or even a 6 speed. $5K should buy you someone's semi-beaten 102K mile 2000 SS. You just can't be too fussy or be willing to travel 500-1000 miles.

Last edited by Firebrian; 09-27-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Be tough to let the car go for only 5G. I remember when my 81 Z28 wasn't worth more than 4G but try and getting one in decent condition now at that price.

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro SS. M6.