What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

RARE 1 of 4 SGM WS6 convt M6

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RARE 1 of 4 SGM WS6 convt M6

Hello trying to figure out what my car is worth it’s
1998 trans am WS6 convertible M6 sports gold metallic. This car is one of 4 made. There was 3 A4 convertible
Old 04-15-2018, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like an interesting piece. WS6 verts don't seem to have the biggest following so I don't see this being as easy to sell as a black ttop ws6 but I imagine there is a buyer out there that would buy just on the rarity. Things like mileage, condition, aftermarket parts, etc... will help in trying to give you a decent estimate. At the moment all we know is it is a low production number trim package. If beat up and high mileage that's not going to make a whole heck of a lot of difference.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
Sounds like an interesting piece. WS6 verts don't seem to have the biggest following so I don't see this being as easy to sell as a black ttop ws6 but I imagine there is a buyer out there that would buy just on the rarity. Things like mileage, condition, aftermarket parts, etc... will help in trying to give you a decent estimate. At the moment all we know is it is a low production number trim package. If beat up and high mileage that's not going to make a whole heck of a lot of difference.
it’s a 2 Owner car with 120.000 miles no body damage no accidents but it has been repainted with a macco paint job and I know that affects it a lot. Tops in good shape has a couple minor rips and it was never modified.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Goobermix

it’s a 2 Owner car with 120.000 miles no body damage no accidents but it has been repainted with a macco paint job and I know that affects it a lot. Tops in good shape has a couple minor rips and it was never modified.
Not worth much at all. And with 120K? This isn't really a collectible anymore, ya know?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Ya I now miles are high. I paid 5k for car. I think it could still bring 10k and maybe more for the person that wants a low production number car. Also do u now if the SGM was a special color. Or it just happen to be a low production color.

Also so did the factor only make 7 of them or people order them like that?

thanks for reading
Old 04-16-2018, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

One way to think about this is, would you have paid $10k or more for it?

Value on something like this isn't going to be very high unless you happen to have it on the market right when someone is looking for this exact sort of car (perhaps they owned one before, etc.)

With 120k miles and a cheap repaint, I can't imagine the car is in any sort of condition that's better than an average driver. At that point, you can't expect much of a premium for color rarity when it comes to these cars.

SGM was not an extra cost/premium color originally. It's rare because most folks didn't care for it when these cars were new, just like many of the other rare colors from those early LS1 years (like BPM, BGM, etc.) Even if the car was low mileage and in super nice original condition, the lower desirability of this rare color (as opposed to something like SOM) means that it wouldn't be worth much more (if any) to most shoppers than a more popular (but more common) color with all else being equal.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Oh ok that sounds about right. It’s not a special edition color. It’s just a color nobody wanted lol. I don’t even like the color lol. My brother has a body shop so I’m gonna repaint the car and do a couple minor touch ups to the interior and keep it. I think the cars is worth keeping for future value. Also it’s pretty cool being able to tell people I have 1 out of 4 cars lol.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Throw some pics up, a pic is worth 1,000 words.

Shitty paint job though? Doesnt matter what color it is.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh ok that sounds about right. It’s not a special edition color. It’s just a color nobody wanted lol. I don’t even like the color lol. My brother has a body shop so I’m gonna repaint the car and do a couple minor touch ups to the interior and keep it. I think the cars is worth keeping for future value. Also it’s pretty cool being able to tell people I have 1 out of 4 cars lol.
Not sure why you bought it if you didn't like the color. As far as repainting it i would not repaint it anything other than factory with a good paint job if you were looking for future value although this would be a big whime at that. At the point someone bought it for collectability it would be strictly for the rpo sticker on the door as the base traits are the same as any other trans am so really it would be someone exclusively looking for an the options of sport gold and vert listed on the rpo sticker. If it was a 60"s muscle car i would say that has happened. I know plenty of guys who have bought some pretty rough muscle cars just because they had a certain paint code or option but with a 4th gen ws6 I don't think that will every happen. 20 years from now I may be coming back to this thread to say I was proved wrong but I am not gonna hang my hat on that.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

....but with a 4th gen ws6 I don't think that will every happen. 20 years from now I may be coming back to this thread to say I was proved wrong but I am not gonna hang my hat on that.
You won't be wrong; looking at 3rd gens provides good insight to this. Even the newest 3rd gens are now into antique status and the oldest ones are over 35 years old. Nobody is paying big money for rough examples, and nobody ever will. Only the nicest ones (and especially those with the most desirable options) will be sought after by the niche market who loves them. Same will be true for 4th gens as they approach that 25-35 year age.

None of these cars will ever be the next Hemi Cuda or LS6 Chevelle.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Throw some pics up, a pic is worth 1,000 words.

Shitty paint job though? Doesnt matter what color it is.
Not sure why you bought it if you didn't like the color. As far as repainting it i would not repaint it anything other than factory with a good paint job if you were looking for future value although this would be a big whime at that. At the point someone bought it for collectability it would be strictly for the rpo sticker on the door as the base traits are the same as any other trans am so really it would be someone exclusively looking for an the options of sport gold and vert listed on the rpo sticker. If it was a 60"s muscle car i would say that has happened. I know plenty of guys who have bought some pretty rough muscle cars just because they had a certain paint code or option but with a 4th gen ws6 I don't think that will every happen. 20 years from now I may be coming back to this thread to say I was proved wrong but I am not gonna hang my hat on that.
i bought the car for a couple of reasons’ I like convt and nowing it’s a vary low production car was even better. I wasn’t looking for another trans am but for 5k it seemed like a good deal and I still think it’s a good deal. The car was repainted the same color just cheap paint thou (single stage paint). I truly think after repainting the car to factory specs it will be worth 14-16k. And u guys are right I’d half to find someone looking for a car like this. But I’ll tell u what’ I’ve been flipping cars for over 10 years now and there’s a *** for every seat lol. It ant gonna cost me much to make the car look like a show room peace.

Id love to post pics but I don’t now how to. And I’m using a IPhone. My cuzzen will be here in a couple days and he has a Labtop I will upload at that time.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I truly think after repainting the car to factory specs it will be worth 14-16k.
Quite frankly, this is simply dreaming. You can buy very nice '01/'02 (more desirable) M6 WS6 cars with half your mileage and very good original paint for prices in that range.

It ant gonna cost me much to make the car look like a show room peace.
At 120k miles, you would need to do a complete rotisserie restoration to get this car up to original showroom (#1 condition) standards. That won't be cheap no matter how much of the work you do yourself. Less discriminating shoppers would have a looser definition, but those folks usually aren't the big spenders.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Quite frankly, this is simply dreaming. You can buy very nice '01/'02 (more desirable) M6 WS6 cars with half your mileage and very good original paint for prices in that range.

At 120k miles, you would need to do a complete rotisserie restoration to get this car up to original showroom (#1 condition) standards. That won't be cheap no matter how much of the work you do yourself. Less discriminating shoppers would have a looser definition, but those folks usually aren't the big spenders.
The great part about the car is that I have about 12k in service record for work that was done in the past year. Has all new suspension brakes rotors wheel barings tires rear end fuel pump and a bunch of work done to the motor like water pump full tune up new Cats new clutch.

and your right the car is not gonna be #1 Condition
but it’s gonna be a badass car after I’m done with it. I should have under 8k in it after I’m done. I’m not 100% sure I’m gonna keep it because I already own a 02 collectors edition. But if I do sell it u will see it posted in the for sale section. I will post it for 16.500 and it will say
‘1 or 4 SGM convertible ws6 6 Speed

nows your your chance to own a low production numbered car for $16,500 Or a reasonable offer lol well see what happens. I’ll also post some before and after photos
Old 04-17-2018, 04:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I'm not sure why you've posted this thread asking about value if you're already so certain on a listing price?

Rarity specs for these cars isn't a huge value factor at that mileage and with (soon to be two) repaints, not to mention the low desirability of SGM. '98s are also the least desirable year. As mentioned above, and just for the sake of reference, here's an example of what you can get for $14,500 in the way of a WS6 car:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/c...546931747.html

That's a much more desirable '02 with half the mileage of yours, in a more popular/easier to sell t-top configuration with an asking price of $2k less.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Great car to keep and drive in parades

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...559706474.html
Old 04-17-2018, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You absolutely have to repaint it in the factory color to get any reasonable return on your paint job. Repainted a different color? Car would have less value than a regular black or red car in their correct colors.

You can do all the easy exterior mechanical stuff to a 120K mile car. But it doesn't change the fact that the engine/trans/rear diff internals are all 120K miles....not 30K-60K miles. Also true for 120K miles on the AC and cooling systems, power steering, power brakes/abs, electrical/electronics/PCM, etc. It just keeps adding up. Spend $12K-$15K on this and you might have a true $18K-$20K car in the end. 120K miles would likely keep it under $20K. Someone, someday will be the first one to take a car like this and do a nut and bolt frame-on restoration....a zero miles car when complete. That might cost $50K-$100K to do....and could be worth $35K-$50K. At some point, the most desirable of these cars will be getting resto's.

I love WS6 verts, especially A4's. Wish I had one. We are out there despite all the M6ers. In mint, low miles condition I'd happily pay a 10-15% premium for a SG WS6 vert...and original 1998-2002 factory paint. Not a fan of repaints of collector muscle cars unless we're talking 1950's through 1970's. There will be no shortage of mint - original paint WS6 cars available for the next 20-30 yrs.

I could see a superb, low mileage WS6 SG vert being worth $40K-$60K in the next 10-20 years....and it would probably have to be an M6. It may be one of the few winners out of the thousands of WS6's remaining. I like the 2001 Firehawk gold/black anniversary car too. But, not everyone likes that color scheme.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Someone, someday will be the first one to take a car like this and do a nut and bolt frame-on restoration....a zero miles car when complete.
NOS items are running short in some categories, and options beyond that are currently limited. The value of these cars is not yet high enough, nor is demand strong enough, for comprehensive catalogs of top tier restoration parts to be readily available (such as what we see for various late '60s/early '70s models); not sure that this will ever change.

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I could see a superb, low mileage WS6 SG vert being worth $40K-$60K in the next 10-20 years....
Unless by "low mileage" you mean something between delivery mileage and maybe 5k or less, I can't agree on this point in that time frame. Even with inflation, 10 years isn't that far away. SGM, rare though it may be, isn't going to draw the collectors like an SOM, CETA or a 30th Anniversary car will. Lots of folks dislike this color, including the very owner of the car in this thread, plus it's limited to the least desirable model year. Without much general market demand (even within the niche to which this could potentially appeal) for the specific factor which makes this car particularly rare, we won't see runaway prices that are well beyond original MSRP for anything other than perhaps a #1 condition type example (which still wouldn't be an easy sale).
Old 04-17-2018, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Guys I appreciate all of your opinions
I understand completely about the car now
when I first bought this car I thought there could’ve been a chance that it was worth big money because of the low production numbers. Lucky I bought the car cheap enough that I can invest a 3/4K in it and still have under what there going for. I’m gonna keep the car and enjoy it. Also I wouldn’t paint it any other color then original (sgm)

thanks everyone I have much respect for the people of this forum and tread!!

Old 04-18-2018, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Unless by "low mileage" you mean something between delivery mileage and maybe 5k or less, I can't agree on this point in that time frame. Even with inflation, 10 years isn't that far away. SGM, rare though it may be, isn't going to draw the collectors like an SOM, CETA or a 30th Anniversary car will....
My low end range gives me 20 yrs and to $40,000. By then a mint 8K mile SGM could easily be worth...could even be worth close to that now. How many exist? Did even one person put one of these away? We know nearly every 1999 WS6 anniversay car will still be around in 20 yrs....with probably a few hundred having under 10K or even 5K miles. A lot of the 1969-1971 Mopar colors were hated at the time of issue...that's why so few were made.

The color black was mostly hated on muscle cars back then. When collectors realized so few survived...all of a sudden they liked that color. Those greens and browns of the 1966-1972 muscle car era were loved then....and pretty much disliked today. Purple wasn't popular back then....it is today. If you offered me a 8K mile 1999 WS6 or 2002 CETA Anniversary car today to put away for 20 yrs....or an identical condition SGM WS6 M6....I'd pick the SGM for the 20 yr run. I find SGM somewhat attractive. And very cool that so few were made...and fewer survive. I'd rather have a 1 of half dozen or less superb low mileage SGM's than be one of hundreds owning a similar anniversary car. Even if SGM is up to 10X less popular in color than say a white anniversary WS6, there are also 20X more anniv cars. With only around 52 built M6 and A4, how many mint survivors are left? How many unmodified? And the survival rate from the 1998 year is the lowest of all the WS6/SS years. Doesn't seem too many people in 1998 had the "save it" mentality....more like "drive it." That really didn't come about until it was clear the line was being discontinued (2001/2002).

What's the lowest mileage SGM WS6 any around here is aware of??

17K miles - one owner - fully documented WS6. Sold in 2013. 9,153 views....how unpopular is that? Too bad this one didn't have 7K miles. It's got everything else down to the SOTL exhaust.

http://newoldcar.com/index.php/featu...tallic-ref-444

Last edited by Firebrian; 04-18-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority of people that believe these cars will be worth very good money down the road. Unlike 60s muscle cars, if you want a 90s American performance icon, you have only 4 cars to choose from...Corvette, Camaro/Firebird and Mustang. These cars are still being totaled, parted and crushed on a daily basis.

Compared to third gens, the production numbers are far smaller, the build quality vastly superior, and the powertrains MUCH better. I see a great long-term curve for these cars overall. A 97 hardtop WS6 M6 TA just sold yesterday on Facebook for $15k with 22k miles, in one day no less. And that was an LT1 hardtop, no less. I agree the car in question will never pull top dollar, but I am happy to see the owner acknowledge what it is, care for it, repaint it right, and who knows? I just saw a sport gold WS6 yesterday. I think its ugly, but it definitely stands out, and someone will want this one!!!!