What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 SS 1le

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 SS 1le

Hello all, my name is Ken and this is my 1st post. I have been on corvette forum for 10 years. So I own a 1998 SS 1le in silver with red cloth seats. Anybody familiar with 1le means lower weight, less electronics, and 1le performance package. In 1998 the 1st year of the ls1 only 3 SS' s with the 1le package from gm were produced. A black one, a dark blue one, and mine the silver one. Then in 99 I think 7 were produced from gm. Then 1le's were manufactured at slp.. I have owned the car since 2001 and it has 26,000 miles. Any idea on how to value my car for selling it? I had hagerty's do a special evaluation and they said $22k to $32k. That is a wide range. I thought I would keep the car for many more years but I have become recently disabled. I am just looking for friendly guidance/input. I can surely add pictures if anyone wants to see some. I'd did see a 2002 blue SS 1le sell for $32k in Greenville, sc.

thanks in advance,

ken
The following users liked this post:
Scott8102 (09-07-2019)
Old 05-22-2018, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Any pics of it? I am curious about the red cloth interior.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Sure. It is raining now. Ill get a couple of pics when the weather clears.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although it sounds like a very rare piece indeed I am not sure I can align with even $22k let alone $32k. The market you would be trying to appeal to at the price point I can only imagine might be a handful of people at most and personally being a follower of the market even specialty packages such as Berger or GMMG only bring that kind of money. Although 1le is a somewhat desirable package and definitely has a little bit of a premium if you really look at what it consists of I don't see anyone willing to spend 10k over the average price point of a similar camaro ss just for rpo code on their sticker and some suspension components. Now you suggest that one has sold recently for $32k maybe the market is there and I'm completely wrong but I would be interested to see what it does bring. Me personally a low mileage 98 SS is probably somewhere in that $13 to $15k range I guess and the 1le package may bump you up in the high teens but I would struggle to think someone pays over $20k not to discredit the car but just trying to give my perception. I hope you can clear that though and report back with a good sale.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback. It is a rare piece some camaro websites say that my car doesn't exist. It is unusual because SS's were known for being loaded and 1le"s were strippers. I don't think the folks ordering camaros in 1998 or 1999 knew you could combine the too. Now i will tell you this ss camaro rides on rails nothing like any other factory 4th gen camaro ss. It out handles my 2002 corvette Z06. It is rare enough that the GM Heritage Museum in Michigan was highly interested in it back in February. They thought on it for a while and backed out because they wanted it to have the SLP optioned exhaust.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak98
Any pics of it? I am curious about the red cloth interior.
This is RPO 73B, Red Accent interior. Only available with cloth and with certain exterior colors. It's a pretty uncommon option.

First off, let me say that the OP has a very interesting car. The optional content does make it pretty special. I'm assuming this car is an M6 transmission? However, I largely agree with Bandits96ss's post above. Hagerty's valuation is way on the high side IMO.

What were the specs on that 2002 SS 1LE that was mentioned as being sold for $32k? To reach that sort of price I have to imagine that it didn't have much more than delivery mileage. Was it also loaded with other desirable SLP content? That price would suggest a model that's at the peak of desirability in every facet.

Only the most outstanding and desirably special LS1 Camaros in the world have any hope of selling for prices near/at/above $30k at this point. Last year we saw a 7k mile '98 SS M6 sell for $15k in extremely excellent condition (albeit with a couple of modifications.) We've also recently seen an '02 SS M6 with 4k miles in original (apparent/possible #1 car) condition, with a host of SLP/Y2Y content (including the desirable 345hp package), list for as little as $18.9k at a dealer in the last ~18 months. While the OP's car is obviously quite rare the mileage is not ultra low, therefore excluding it from being in #1 condition, so I think that will put a damper on price. The early LS1 SS cars are generally not as desirable as the '01/'02 cars (especially an '02 with the 345hp package, LE 35th, etc.), so while this example does have some specific rarity in its favor (1LE, 73B), I don't think it's going to break any records or hit that Hagerty range at 26k miles. With significantly lower miles, it might be a different story.

Having said all that, on a personal level I find the OP's car very cool. I've always wished my silver '98 had been optioned with the red accent interior; I've only ever seen two of these in person, one was Arctic White and the other was Black. I've always known it was also optional on silver, but I've never crossed paths with one.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember looking into a 2000 Berger Camaro SS with 20K miles at $19,000. That was 2 yrs ago. And a far more desirable car with the underrated 380 hp rating.

On Ebay two years a pair of 2002 Firehawk M6 1LE's with 5K-9K miles sold in the $23K-$24K range Those also are far more desirable than a '98 SS with 20,000 extra miles.

A 1998 M6 SS with 26K miles is normally a $10K-$12K car. Don't see how a 1LE option could add more than around $5K to the car. I often figure out the value of options by taking 50% of the factory option pricing. In this case, taking 100% of the factory option price wouldn't get you past $17K. I know that 2001/2002 SS M6's with 5K-12K miles have sold in the $15K-$17K range.

For valuation purposes $15K-$20K....depending on time of year and what buyers are looking. My best guess would be $15K-$17K and that's still potentially strong money.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the amount of people that would in fact give you $22-32k for the car is VERY small. to the point where its not even countable or something you should even count on finding. its going to be someone that doesn't know any better or some sort of collector. your average person wont and nor would someone thats into these cars.

most of us would just laugh inside at that price $32k (sorry if they truth hurts) bc we would just buy a stripper car in good condition for like $6k and anther $1k in a SS hood/wing and painting and some better susp. and basically have the same dam thing for 1/4 of the price. plus most of us dont like to keep anything stock so buying something like that would be a waste of money.

in reality you will more or less MAYBE fine someone to give you $15k and if you do, take it and run. it being a 1998 really hurts its value and im sure many well say this and that but remember talk is cheap. tell them to fork over the cash if what they say holds water.

me personalty i wouldn't touch it for even $8k but thats just my opinion. the only thing thats cool about this car to me is its being a no opt car like my 1SC is since i prefer fbodys setup like that. other wise nothing id go crazy over.

but none of this is nor here or there. its just one's opinion. any and every car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. one might see it being worth $5k and anther person might see it being worth $10k.

Last edited by Blackbird-WS6; 05-22-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car is worth $12K and up all day long. No doubt about that. I certainly value it more than my car straight up.

I'd happily pay and have no qualms about owning the 1998-2000 yrs. In fact, the 1998's are hard to run across. Go try and find one as you trip over the dozens of later model years available. And if made pre-April/May 1998 will come without the problematic bubbling roof. That's a huge plus if you like to park your car in the sun on nice days and not have to worry about your paint bubbling up while you're not watching. In my own case, I'd prefer the 1998 over a 2002, save $2K or so in the process, and have a sail panel or full hardtop that won't bubble up. Also, no power windows or power antennae to fail. Power seats?

There are plenty of buyers out there who will go crazy over your car, low options, 1998, and everything else. Nice car. Thanks for bringing it by here to discuss. If you gave me the option between a Hugger Orange 1999 that is nothing special but a color, and a 1998 ILE one of 3 "performance cars," I'd take the 1LE all day long. Factory performance rarity over cosmetic scarcity. The factory made your SS like that....not done in someone's garage....lol. That's an important difference. Sure, anyone can shoehorn a performance engine in a 1998 Camaro factory V6...and create an SS or Z28 clone. Doesn't mean it's the same. There's something to be said for owning factory rare performance.

I like the notion of owning a 1998 that won't have as many power options to break...such as power windows and the like. Would be much like being back in my 1969 SuperBee which I miss. Power options (other than PS and PDB) are over-rated for fun performance cars. Silver with red cloth interior? Cool.

I could see a blue 2002 SS 1LE selling for $32,000....though only if under 1,000 miles and ideally still on the MSO. Aren't the post '98/'99 1LE's sort of clones of the "real thing?"

Previous thread on topic of 1998 Camaro 1LE's

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all of the input. For those of you that want to see the red cloth I will take a lot of pics tomorrow if sunny outside. Yes it is a manual 6 speed hardtop. I bought it in 2001 with 21k miles. I have put 5k miles on it in 17 years. Really fun to drive in the smokie mountains of NC and TN. My contact with GM Heritage says there are a handful of people that would want my car for their collection but finding those people is the catch. It really is a fun car to discuss....no fog lights in the openings...manual roll down windows...no insulation or body moldings. I am torn on selling or not. I will continue to be an active member of this forum. I am off to a good start. I really like the fact that it is mechanically rare from the factory like Firebrian alluded to. Guys forgive if I misspell. I have a rare neuro disease and take a lot of pain melds so the old brain is affected.

Cheers,

Kenny
Old 05-23-2018, 12:51 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Some great points above by Firebrian, as usual, including the one about the roof issue. I'm another 4th gen fan who favors the '98 cars specifically (due to the roof issue as well as some other small details that I prefer), but I'm vastly in the minority (I'm also one of the very few who would rather have an auto - frankly, if your car was an auto and built in 04/98 or earlier, I'd be interested). I also really like the lack of power electrical options, especially the problematic power windows.

Most folks would rather have at least an '00 (for the Ebony interior) or, more preferably, an '01+ for the various minor performance enhancements included in such. But, it's true that the later "1LE" cars weren't exactly the same thing as this became SLP/Y2Y content rather than a GM assembly line creation. So, from that angle, a certain type of collector might actually value a '98/'99 1LE car higher than an otherwise comparable later model which simply had the SLP/1LE suspension package. However, ultimately, this car still has 26k miles and isn't going to be as valuable to most collectors as a much lower mileage, last year SS car with a ton of SLP options (therefore excluding it from the highest tier of pricing).

I certainly wouldn't hold out hope for a sale of $20k+, and that Hagerty range is definitely misleading IMO. The thing about Hagerty's value estimations is that they include asking price data in the matrix (I've read this previously on their site, I assume it's still true), which can really skew the numbers. I think this is why they always tend to be on the high side, especially with the later model cars where a lot of dreamers are hoping to turn them into classics and listing them high. The availability of nice 4th gens is still sufficient enough that the dreamers aren't able to force these higher prices on the general market since there are still better deals to be found.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

In for pics.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also every interested in the car and seeing pics. The vehicle described in the OP is a very unusual find indeed.

However, expecting more than $20k for the car is unreasonable IMO, although there is without a doubt a few people out there who are searching for this exact car and will pay beyond that.

As an example, a 2001 GMMG DEI Camaro with a signed dash and under 1K miles was recently sold for $26k. Documentation from day one, etc.

The cars just haven't aged enough with enough interest to get the prices up. YET.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98ss1of3
It is rare enough that the GM Heritage Museum in Michigan was highly interested in it back in February. They thought on it for a while and backed out because they wanted it to have the SLP optioned exhaust.
That's a bit short sighted by GM HM imo. I have the SLP performance exhaust option on my car (double Y exhaust tips and 3" SS pipe). And while the extra 7 hp is "nice" (327 hp rated), it's not a big deal in these cars....ether in performance or eye appeal. It was a $699 option iirc. The original owner of my car considered a performance handling package. But. after forking over nearly $1600 for exhaust and Auburn, he just couldn't swing the additional cost.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-23-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Wonderful pricing info here by every poster and I believe it is spot on. I personally would pay a premium for such a car, especially one with a red cloth interior. If I would absolutely enjoy that color, I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. Finding them, and patience, may be required. Upper teens if I was in the market, but the car better be in very good condition at least. If there are issues, or a bad title, throw that price down the drain.
Next time up this way, if you are physically able, I'd enjoy meeting up with you. If you can't drive very far anymore, i wish you the best with everything.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I have the SLP performance exhaust option on my car (double Y exhaust tips and 3" SS pipe). And while the extra 7 hp is "nice" (327 hp rated), it's not a big deal in these cars....ether in performance or eye appeal. It was a $699 option iirc.
An interesting bit of trivia about this. Early in the '99 model year, this exhaust was still listed as a 7hp (327hp total) gain as you stated (same as '98). But by the end of '99 they had changed the rating to 10hp (330hp total) with this catback (which then continued to be the rating through all of 2000 MY as well). I'm not exactly sure when the rating change happened, but the very late '99 literature (as I saw back in the early summer of '99 when I was shopping for my first new 4th gen) showed that higher spec. Over the years, I've also seen other folks mention both 327hp and 330hp as original ratings for their '99s with the SLP exhaust option, but I've never investigated this deeply enough to figure out when the change happened.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good stuff by RPM WS6. And information I didn't know. Good thread on a lot of stuff I didn't know. My '99 was ordered around November and delivered on January 4, 1999.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-23-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Default Pictures

Old 05-24-2018, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Thanks for the photos. That interior really makes the sale an easy one in my book. I'll stick with the pricing estimate in the high teens. Best of luck if you sell, and I think Hemmings would be the way to go with an ad. High end folks (cash) looking for special cars.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Thanks for nice reply. I was thinking either Hemmings or Bringatrailer with a reserve. I am headed to Cashiers, NC for holiday weekend but taking my old Avalanche so my wife can carry all of her stuff.