Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

street/strip wheels for narrowed rear/stock brakes..also fronts ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default street/strip wheels for narrowed rear/stock brakes..also fronts ???

A little background info- 1996 Trans Am, LS1 brake upgrade to the front, but stock LT1 brakes out back. MWC fabbed 9" being built, narrowed 3" per side. Car is driven about 3K miles per year if that, a few track trips now and then.

Let's start with the rear: With all the "f-body" specific wheels out in 7.5"bs, are the 4.5"bs versions having issues? I tried searching 9 ways from sunday with no real info. I see the weld rt's seems to fit, and of course bogarts, not sure bout the BS lites. What other options are there?

Then for the fronts...I hate drag wheels that poke out in the front...I want mine to sit in the fender about an inch or so. Does anyone make a wheel capeablbe of this..or do they all come right out to the edge of the fender?

Never ran a fat/skinny setup, trying to do it right the first time.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as fronts, they pretty much all sit flush or outside the wheel well a little. I have Billet Specialties and as far as the rears, I have a 2.5" shortened per side rear and a 5.5BS wheel and had absolutely no chance of fitting with my LS1 brakes so I switched to LT1 rears and although it needs a little minor grinding, its not bad at all. I'm sure the RTS's will fit no prob lem.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

SJM Manufacturing..Talk to Steve..He can set you up!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys.

a98- I saw the RTS thread- wheels look sharp. I will be calling about those tomorrow, getting some more info one them. But the BS Lites do fit LT1's with minor grinding?

223- I have talked to Steve before(been a couple yrs), but Bogarts kick ***- but I am scared to death of the rep. He couldn't point me to a wheel that he thought fit my needs back then...maybe I'll call him again too. I don't drive the car alot- but the wheels will have to stand up to their share of cruising duty.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

I'm pretty sure they have a 15x10 draglite with a 4.5" backspacing that should work
Old 04-15-2010, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

Bogart now has a "Street/Strip" wheel that is MUCH stronger! I dont know how long they have been out but Thats what Steve suggested for me. They are a bit heavyer and more money, but you can drive on them safely..
Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I had grinded calipers for Prostars and thought I could get them to work with my 5.5BS billet specialties. No dice. Even with more grinding and 2 spacers! A friend of mine had LT1 brakes with minor grinding so I took them over and they fit fine. For what its worth though, instead of swapping out brakes, backing plates and all, id try the new RTS's.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Spoke to Jim's racing tires today...leaning towards the RT-S...less than a grand shipped with lugs and all. I wish they came in antracite centers. They said the wait time on the black ones is 3-5 weeks or longer. 3 weeks on the polished. My rear end should be here in 2 weeks or so...have some painting and assembly to do- but I don't wanna be waiting on wheels.

Still want to talk to SJM tomorrow.

Hawk- the 17" front bogarts you ordered- are they the 5" wides? what tire do you plan to run? I like thee RR10's, then the idea of a 15" rear for the track, and a 17" rear for the street. But swinging the cost by the wife might put a halt to that.

I looked at the Racestar's too...they just look dated to me. though the price is VERY nice on them.

Last edited by Leedogg; 04-15-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Ordered the RT-S's...thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: street/strip wheels for narrowed rear/stock brakes..also fronts ???