Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

I need to know the best "do it yourself" process for painting wheels black...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need to know the best "do it yourself" process for painting wheels black...

I recieved my brand new CL205 TT2s today, which are painted grey from the factory. The finish is rough, and doesn't go well with my car at all. So I'm going to paint them black. I've been told that I should paint over the current paint. Any opinions on that? I'm only painting the center, I'm keeping the lip polished... ALso, what products/process would you recommend?

Thanks
Patrick.

Last edited by Donohue96M6Z28; 05-18-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

bump.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be skiddish spending all that time to paint them black if they're rough to start. You could pick your paint, and spray a few coats on one of the rims in one area and see how it covers. If it looks good, then continue. Rough is a relative term though...I bet it doesn't cover as well as you hope. You could try a scotchbrite pad first...that may be enough to take the texture off. Give them a good cleaning and shoot them. If that doesn't do it, you could try a 600 grit paper. If still not good, try a 400, then 200 if need be. Then go back with a 600. If you take all of the paint off when removing the texture, you may have to primer them before painting them black. Go over the primer with 600 grit before painting. Normally you just want to open the pores of the painted finish and ensure its smooth so the new paint will stick adequately. Be careful with wheel clears though, they can dull blacks and put metallic where you don't want it.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the post man. Would you recommend not clearing it? And since I'm keeping
the paint on, there's no reason for primer? Unless I take too much paint off? Thanks for all the info man.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would scuff the old paint and just paint on top. get some nice layers and then clear it then wet sand and clear again should be ok if done right
Old 05-22-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your painting, i would sand down the current paint with medium grit to fine grit paper, sand until there's no more sheen or shine to the paint. then thoroughly wash it with dish soap, then degrease it, then use a tack cloth. Then spray even coats, like a fine mist, not a heavy cover like most people think. Your first coat or two should look like speckles like when it starts to rain. Build a few layers like this, and that's how you get accurate even coverage without runs. Once the paint looks nice and you have good coverage, you can wet sand it with 1200 grit, then 1500 grit, then 2000 grit, then even 2200 grit if you want, this sand down the surface so that the entire surface is like a mirrors edge. Once you have it sanded down to a mirror like reflection, you apply clear coat. You HAVE to apply clear coat, its what protects your paint and will give you extra UV protection for a longer lasting result. This is all just a snapshot, you should really google it or even search here for an accurate guide, like i would check out the CETA how to sticky.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what i ment but in a really short version. i think i'll be doing this to my stock wheels soon when i get a chance.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

No powder coat? Locally i was quoted 60 a wheel to strip and powder 18s, yes its more money but imo its money well spent.

Cant help ya on paint tips though.