Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

1st time running Drag skinnies questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st time running Drag skinnies questions.

Hello everyone.
I recently purchased a set of bogart front drag wheels ( 15 x 4 x 1.75 B.S. ) from steve at SJM ( very nice quality, Lightweight 10lbs and no caliper interference.

I will also be using a mickey thompson front tire ( Sportsmans p/n: 1573 ) 26 x 7.50-15 per steve's recomendation. The rear is on a 255/50/R16 26.1 OD Mickey thompson ET street drag radial.

My question is about drag strip behavior when running skinnies up front. This is my first time using them and was curious if there is any handling or braking changes that may occur especially at the top end of the track and the shut down area or any where else for that matter. My home track is the California speedway in fontana CA.

I am running a stock braking system in good conditon with baer eradispeeds and Hawk HPS pads.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Never really felt a difference at the track so not much to do different! I did however feel the difference on the street driving to the track. With the skinnies I could feel the vibrations of the road kinda like more sensitive the steering wheel moving more as compared to the heavy *** 18's I usually street drive. They're just lighter skinnier tires! Good luck at the track!

Last edited by conde'strans; 05-24-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: ..........
Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Track you'll be fine. Street driving there's a lot to learn that mostly comes with experience driving around. You'll learn to turn SLOW, and brake sooner, as they will lock up on the street easier if you don't have any sort of proportioning adjustment.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice wheels, Light wheels (extremely light) for the street. All I'm gonna say is BE CAREFUL on the street with them! In my opinion you will not find a better drag race wheel in looks and in performance. I know from experience.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info everyone. Was a little nervous not knowing what to expect at the track. I plan on just running these at the track and saving up for some of the light weight road race series wheels that steve sells to replace my SS wheels for street duty. Thanks again for the advice.