Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Can old tires cause handling issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can old tires cause handling issues?

ok, my 2002 Camaro SS LE that has old, real old BF Goodrich T/A KDW tires. the car like to wander around on the road. after leaving a car show saturday, i decided to take a nice curvy road home, and i scared the hell out of myself because the car almost wandered into the other lane. the car only has 49xxx miles on it, so i doubt any of the suspension parts are worn, maybe some of the rubber bushings. there are some weird cuts in the side of the tread that a buddy told me is dry rot.

the fronts seem to have a little bit of tread left, but the backs are down to the wear bars.

the date code is from 2006 or 2008 i forget. i can recheck if it would be needed.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Basically after time the steel belts inside the tire will weaken especially if the car sits around a while. If you have ozone cracking on the sidewall that defiantly means you need some new tires as well.
They might have some tread left but honestly not worth it to get a blowout and mess up your f-body
I would recommend either getting Bridgestone Pole positions for a great riding tire or some Nittos for performance. If you want to get crazy price wise buy a set of Michelins.
But to answer your question yes older tires can cause handling issues as you probably don't have a decent amount of tread and overall the tire has weakened tremendously since you bought them.
If you have any other questions let me know.

Last edited by WingsFan79; 08-18-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WingsFan79
But to answer your question yes older tires can cause handling issues as you probably don't have a decent amount of tread and overall the tire has weakened tremendously since you bought them.
If you have any other questions let me know.

cool, thanks.

i'm shopping for new tires now. trying to get the best performing tire without breaking the bank. i was looking at some of the nitto 555's, but im open to anything in about that price range.

the car doenst get driven in the winter, and wont see to much rain, plus i only drive it 4000 miles a year.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by i'm sofa king
cool, thanks.

i'm shopping for new tires now. trying to get the best performing tire without breaking the bank. i was looking at some of the nitto 555's, but im open to anything in about that price range.

the car doenst get driven in the winter, and wont see to much rain, plus i only drive it 4000 miles a year.
the 555's are a good tire for performance but from prior experience working on vehicles with these tires, people usually complain that they shake or are out of balance all the time and that their loud.
What size you going with? staggered?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

The rubber is probably dried and hard from age. Also uneven wear can cause the tires to wander or track funny. Sounds like its time for some new rubber.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. Sounds like my weird handling is from these old *** tires. And I can tell there hard as **** because they don't grip for ****.

I just want the best gripping tire for less then $200 a tire. The nittos and new bf Goodrich are about $160-$180 a tire.

Whats your opinions on either the bfg comp 2, continue extreme dw , Firestone wide ovals, nitto 555's or kumho spt or xs

Last edited by i'm sofa king; 08-15-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by i'm sofa king
Thanks guys. Sounds like my weird handling is from these old *** tires. And I can tell there hard as **** because they don't grip for ****.

I just want the best gripping tire for less then $200 a tire. The nittos and new bf Goodrich are about $160-$180 a tire.

Whats your opinions on either the bfg comp 2, continue extreme dw , Firestone wide ovals, or kumho spt?
Got my Nitto NT-05's for 159$ each at Summit.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BFG Comp2 is an excellent tire. Did you read our review here on them? https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...-2-review.html

Here's the link with some additional information pertaining to tire age and replacement.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...foTireLife.jsp

Last edited by Discount Tire; 08-16-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Can old tires cause handling issues?