Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Ultra High Performance Summer Tire Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb Ultra High Performance Summer Tire Ratings

Consumer Reports' latest fall 2013 update...

Ultra High Performance Summer Tire Ratings-n77ugpw.png

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 12-16-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this should be in a rolling sticky
Old 12-08-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Here's the PRE-Fall 2013 ratings, showing some older tires:

Ultra High Performance Summer Tire Ratings-1a4iwqy.png
Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my most humble of opinions, if you are shopping for an ultra high performance tire ride and noise are useless criteria and treadlife is border line useless. Concessions made to improve those three tend to decrease the ultimate capability of the tire, which is in direct contrast to their purpose.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I found interesting is that the Bridgestone RE 760 was rated as highly as it is. If I'm not mistaken, they're actually an (ultra high performance) "all season" tire, but they DO perform. I put a set of them on my wife's Jag sedan two summers ago, and I'm very pleased with them, especially in the rain. We were on the road in the summer of 2012, when that deluge of a storm charged up the east coast, and these tires provided excellent traction despite the downpour.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

I've learned a loooong time ago that Consumer Reports is a rag I use for fire starter. Outside of that, it was basically wrong on anything I've owned (that they rated). I understand maybe I got one item that might go against their ratings but I can't imagine 6+ things being wrong.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

I currently have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my '01 SS in 18" and can honestly say it's the best darn tire in dry and wet I have ever ran. Unbelievable grip in the wet vs. what I expected. CR steered me true.

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
I've learned a loooong time ago that Consumer Reports is a rag I use for fire starter. Outside of that, it was basically wrong on anything I've owned (that they rated). I understand maybe I got one item that might go against their ratings but I can't imagine 6+ things being wrong.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I currently have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my '01 SS in 18" and can honestly say it's the best darn tire in dry and wet I have ever ran. Unbelievable grip in the wet vs. what I expected. CR steered me true.
Super Sports are a great tire.

As far as what someone mentioned about road noise for a 'super performance tire' that all depends on the car and it's use. If it's still a street car and maybe a daily, comfort is nice!

If it's a weekend/track car, I agree!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to buy tires that were relatively cheap my last "go around" because I was on a budget and had a shitty job. I went with the Hankook Ventus V12's, and now that I no longer have a budget... I think that I will stick with them. I truly believe that they are the best tire for the money!

P.S- Consumer Reports blows as a whole. It's a good research tool to learn about something new, but completely useless from that point on.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know enough about Consumer Reports to trust or not trust their ratings. However the Hankook Ventus V12 is a really popular tire among G8 drivers. I have ran the original BFG KDW tires and the Nitto NT05 tires. I miss the original KDW tires they performed the best in all environments. I am on my 2nd set of Nitto's and I can honestly say I am over them. I would not trust them in rain or in colder climates. They are great tires for taking corners though. The harder sidewall does affect the harshness of the ride for a DD, and the lower tread depth does make certain parts of your body pucker when driving through rain. I am looking at the Michelin Super Sports and the Invo's for my next set of tires. But how you drive and how your car is set up and the power you put down all play a role in how the tire will perform, which is why I am neutral on what some review company rates a tire as.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RedDeadG8
I am on my 2nd set of Nitto's and I can honestly say I am over them. I would not trust them in rain or in colder climates. They are great tires for taking corners though. The harder sidewall does affect the harshness of the ride for a DD, and the lower tread depth does make certain parts of your body pucker when driving through rain.
I get the cold weather part. Heck, if you read, the NT05 isn't recommended for under 50* (IIRC). They obviously don't grip as well under that temp, but still more than enough for daily driving or if you do want to take turns, drive around on them for a while to get the tread warmed up. It wasn't exactly warm out here last week or so (25 low, 40 high), yet they did fine for my daily commute.

I don't get the people who complain about them in the rain. I've had the car out in the rain (raining hard) and even have hit some standing water on the highway. The tires haven't been an issues and I drive without the nanny control on. Maybe it is just the way the cars are being driven that you and others feel the tires suck in rain.

For ever 1 time I hear "NT05's suck in rain" I know 3 others who don't have issues. Vegas is one of the worst places I've driven in during/after rain. It is known as slick city FWIW.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

how tires perform is also dependant on how much power you are putting down. I am pushing wel past 400rwhp with a stall and good sized cam. I have driven the NT05's in the summer/winter of Northern VA and FL so I have had my share of cold weather and pouring rain. They are good tires, I just want more.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Except that BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 tires are about the same and a bit cheaper. I have them on my RS for summer, they are a step-up from the older model KDWs.

CR is a guide, not a God -- it's a data point and useful information, it's a starting point. Show us what other resource you consider to have better or more accurate ratings?

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
I had to buy tires that were relatively cheap my last "go around" because I was on a budget and had a shitty job. I went with the Hankook Ventus V12's, and now that I no longer have a budget... I think that I will stick with them. I truly believe that they are the best tire for the money!

P.S- Consumer Reports blows as a whole. It's a good research tool to learn about something new, but completely useless from that point on.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Except that BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 tires are about the same and a bit cheaper. I have them on my RS for summer, they are a step-up from the older model KDWs.

CR is a guide, not a God -- it's a data point and useful information, it's a starting point. Show us what other resource you consider to have better or more accurate ratings?
In a nutshell, you pretty much repeated what I had said word for word. There is quite a bit out there about the Ventus V12's being great tires for the money. Here is one from Car & Driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...12-evo-page-10

I also read through many of the reviews on tirerack for RWD sports cars with a higher than average amount of horsepower. (300+)
Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't understand how the Michelin PSS could drop below the PZero... if you look at the ratings from Pre-Fall 2013 to now. Same for the gains the Conti DWs made on the PSS. At least be internally consistent with your BS!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

i found this pretty informative when deciding what tires to consider:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 12-16-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I don't understand how the Michelin PSS could drop below the PZero... if you look at the ratings from Pre-Fall 2013 to now. Same for the gains the Conti DWs made on the PSS. At least be internally consistent with your BS!
I don't understand that either. How they decide how the ratings change from one testing session to the next is unclear and not explained on their site. Confusing without knowing the explanation.

I think they should add the year on all their ratings too, looking at their sports car car ratings, they have a 2010 Camaro still in their car ratings but compare to a 2011 Mustang but in the main list they don't have the year -- you have to look at the model year tested in the details...

Originally Posted by RedDeadG8
i found this pretty informative when deciding what tires to consider:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
That's a bit out of date -- mid-2012...
Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 AM
TECH Veteran

if only hankook made ventus 12 in 295/35

Quick Reply: Ultra High Performance Summer Tire Ratings