Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

I need to swap out my wheel studs, right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I need to swap out my wheel studs, right?

I know the bird and camaro have bolt patterns of 5x120.66 or 5x4.75 depending on how you wanna look at it, the rims I intend on getting have a bolt pattern of 5x120. Which is .03" shorter (4.72") so I DO need to switch out my studs and get these, correct? And that's it? Just swap em and go?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That measurement isnt the length of the studs its the width of the bolts pattern. Technically you would need axles drilled for the 5x120 pattern but I know lots of guys that have ran the 5x4.75 wheels on the 5x120 pattern.... people say not to do it but people have without failure.

edit. If you havent bought the rims yet just get the right bolt pattern
Old 03-30-2014, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

oh ok well that's good to know lol I haven't bought them yet, but they don't offer these rims in the correct bolt pattern (vmr v710) and I refuse to pay all that money for rims unless im absolutely in love with them and these are the only rims ive come across that I feel that way about
Old 03-30-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Aah yes bmw wheels. People use them and they work. Lots of people will tell you no but lots of people use them with no issues. If your set on them get them and run them. You dont need to change your studs for them. Just remember its not the right bolt pattern, not far off, but not exactly right.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

id been keeping an eye out for some rims I really like since I got the car (august of 2011) and found these on a trans am on instagram last july and said those are the ones! lol and haven't found anything that tops them in my mind since.. only thing I really gotta do is decide on color, matte black, gun metal, or hyper silver. my car is sunset orange and I feel like they all look good, so I guess its a good problem hah

but as long as they will bolt up fine and not vibrate or come loose or anything it doesn't bother me at all
Old 03-30-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mezzoni
id been keeping an eye out for some rims I really like since I got the car (august of 2011) and found these on a trans am on instagram last july and said those are the ones! lol and haven't found anything that tops them in my mind since.. only thing I really gotta do is decide on color, matte black, gun metal, or hyper silver. my car is sunset orange and I feel like they all look good, so I guess its a good problem hah

but as long as they will bolt up fine and not vibrate or come loose or anything it doesn't bother me at all
I know they bolt up and people use them but im not guaranteeing they wont have issues. They arent the right size exactly but theyre so close people use them
Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

ill do a little more research on it before buying and see what people have to say.. thanks !
Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regardless of what you do you should swap out the factory studs
they are weak and strip and break off easily, let alone when you start
putting BMW wheels on your ride.

Quick Reply: I need to swap out my wheel studs, right?