Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Toyo TQ's traction problem,wrong air pressure or my setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo TQ's traction problem,wrong air pressure or my setup?

Ok, I just put on my toyo tq 275/40/17's and I cannot get traction to save my soul. On concrete roads in 60 degree weather I spin on 35 rolls like there's no tomorrow. From a dig it spins until it shifts into 2nd at 60mph and it is the same on blacktop. I've tried a small burnout to heat them and just have no luck. What tire pressure are you guys running yours at and is it still too cold out for them to hook?

My car is a stalled auto (yank ss3600 str 2.5) with 2.73 gears. It is lowered with bmr springs, koni str.t shocks/struts, bmr adj lower control arms, umi lca relocation brackets. they're the newer style with the 3 holes, I've tried all 3 and are in the lowest right now. I know the 17's aren't helping my cause, and it's probably not the ideal setup for this. But I can't be but around 400rwhp maybe, and I would think that these tires would hook at least some? Could I possibly need an aftermarket torque arm, or do I just need et streets? Because as you all know, it's pretty disappointing to dump $400+ into radials and not get any better traction than your street tires did.

I am open to any and all suggestions, thanks.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait till it warms up some. I'm blowing my Et street pros off till I shift into 3rd when it's cold out. Also although they call it a drag radial it's more of a soft street tire. Don't expect to much. Pressure for maximum traction is usually around 18-20 psi in a radial.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find if the ground has been really cold the drag radials don't hook up. I run mine at 14-17 psi at the track and 23-25 on the street. In mid summer when the ground hasn't been frozen they work fairly well for an M6 with 400+ rwhp. That's using nt555s
Old 03-13-2015, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm with scotty2000ss on this one. These were the best overall street drag radial that I've ever ran
Old 03-13-2015, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

OP, I'm not typically a big fan on the looks of LS1 F-Bodies, but your car looks awesome!

We make similar power. I run 275/40/17 ET Streets at around 30psi and can't hook from a dig at all. I don't have issues from a roll however. Drop that pressure down and see what happens, I drop mine down to 15-20psi when at the track or when trying to launch on the street and that seems to work well. I would experiment a bit, maybe lower the tires to 20psi and see what happens. If you get the traction you are looking for then increase the pressure from there and go as high as you can until you start to break traction. Just my .02
Old 03-13-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I run my nt05r's at 28 lbs. on the street. On cool days I have no problem doing a rolling burnout. With drag radials in general once they start spinning they don't recover well. In the summer on say a 70+ degree sunny day I am no longer able to do rolling burnouts and hook from a dig with mild spinning
Old 03-13-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Also you have to remember this time of year there is still some salt/sand and other **** on the road that does not help traction either
Old 03-13-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

255/50/16 M/T street radials, 24 psi on the street, 14-17 psi at the track. Stalled auto (ss4000), 3.42 gears, 320 rwhp.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HISS
Wait till it warms up some. I'm blowing my Et street pros off till I shift into 3rd when it's cold out. Also although they call it a drag radial it's more of a soft street tire. Don't expect to much. Pressure for maximum traction is usually around 18-20 psi in a radial.
Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
I find if the ground has been really cold the drag radials don't hook up. I run mine at 14-17 psi at the track and 23-25 on the street. In mid summer when the ground hasn't been frozen they work fairly well for an M6 with 400+ rwhp. That's using nt555s
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I'm with scotty2000ss on this one. These were the best overall street drag radial that I've ever ran
Sounds like I just need to wait until it warms up probably. We had two days in a row that it hit upper 60's but it probably wasn't enough. I tried digs and rolls starting at 24psi all the way down to 18psi and none of them made a difference. So it must be the temperature outside because my KDW with 85% tread grips as good, if not better. I was probably expecting too much for the temps outside because at night it still gets below 50 here.

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
OP, I'm not typically a big fan on the looks of LS1 F-Bodies, but your car looks awesome!

We make similar power. I run 275/40/17 ET Streets at around 30psi and can't hook from a dig at all. I don't have issues from a roll however. Drop that pressure down and see what happens, I drop mine down to 15-20psi when at the track or when trying to launch on the street and that seems to work well. I would experiment a bit, maybe lower the tires to 20psi and see what happens. If you get the traction you are looking for then increase the pressure from there and go as high as you can until you start to break traction. Just my .02
Thanks man, the car wasn't the color I would have picked out and bought it because of the mileage it had and the price I got it for. But it's grown on me and I really like this color now. I was really kicking myself about not getting the et streets until I read everyones response about the temps outside. I've tried 24psi down to 18psi with no luck, so hopefully it'll get better because I can't get traction remotely unless it's a 40mph+ roll.

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I run my nt05r's at 28 lbs. on the street. On cool days I have no problem doing a rolling burnout. With drag radials in general once they start spinning they don't recover well. In the summer on say a 70+ degree sunny day I am no longer able to do rolling burnouts and hook from a dig with mild spinning
Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Also you have to remember this time of year there is still some salt/sand and other **** on the road that does not help traction either
We did have a lot of salt on the roads so that may be part of it. It's raining right now for the second time this week so hopefully it washes it off. I'm glad you mentioned that once they start spinning they don't recover because I would have kept in the throttle thinking that they would heat up and hook better lol.

Thanks for your reply's and I guess I'll try about 22psi on the street and wait for the temps to stay above 70. Are you guys running aftermarket torque arms? I do get a little wheel hop when it does grab traction at times, and I also get a little slapping/popping noise/feel on the wheel hop. No broken transmission mount and running a energy suspension torque arm bushing.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm running an aftermarket torque arm. I'm surprised your getting wheel hop with having control arms, lca brackets etc.

I installed control arms, relocation brackets and a torque arm at the same time and never had wheel hop again. Unfortunately, because I did all three at the same time I don't know off hand if the torque arm alone would solve that for you but it could be something to consider.

Since you're lowered your pinion angle is more than likely off so an adjustable torque arm wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I'm running an aftermarket torque arm. I'm surprised your getting wheel hop with having control arms, lca brackets etc.

I installed control arms, relocation brackets and a torque arm at the same time and never had wheel hop again. Unfortunately, because I did all three at the same time I don't know off hand if the torque arm alone would solve that for you but it could be something to consider.

Since you're lowered your pinion angle is more than likely off so an adjustable torque arm wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.
I'm not sure either, I wasn't getting any wheels hop issues before or after my lca's or the relocation brackets when I was pretty much stock. With the original tires they would just spin from dry rot, and brand new kdw they just dead hooked. I didn't have issues with that until I did all the mods. I'll see how it does when the temps rise and if it still does it then I'll get an adjustable torque arm. I wanted one anyways but the wife says I don't need one......now I will lol.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:49 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I wouldn't concern myself too much with suspension set-up if I were you. I'm pretty sure it's just the tires. My TOYO's are about a year old and are about 50% worn now. At first they were decent on the street if I was judicious in throttle application from a dig. I took them to the track once and had to go down to 15psi to hook, whereas I can usually hook at 20-22 on Mickeys.

At 50% wear they have become somewhat hard and pretty useless on the street - especially when cold. The decline in performance over time and in the cold has been almost exactly as it was with the Nittos I have run.

Plus ripping them up with a good burnout doesn't seem to soften them up the way that Mickeys do.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a problem with wheel hop. My car has full suspension front and rear. I was running the stock decarbons shocks with 150k on them. I changed the rears to drag shocks last week to remedy the hop but haven't launched it yet.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My car lifts the front tire/s with a 275/40/17 from a low roll (10 mph on concrete) so youre doing something wrong or thats a shitty tire. I run between 17-20psi.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
My car lifts the front tire/s with a 275/40/17 from a low roll (10 mph on concrete) so youre doing something wrong or thats a shitty tire. I run between 17-20psi.
What tires are you using? Must be fun to lift the wheels
Old 03-16-2015, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

I really don't know what I could be doing wrong, it's a stalled auto lol. They're brand new 275/40/17 toyo tq's and I've tried them from 24psi down to 18psi from digs to rolls on concrete and blacktop, I just have bad luck with everything in general. What tires are you running to hook like that and what temperatures are you hooking that good in?

Today it hit 74 degrees outside and it did a little better than it had, but I still spin bad from a dig and I get sideways from a 20 roll. 30 rolls I only spun for 20 feet or so and then started pulling pretty good. I've read a lot of good reviews on these tires so that's why I was curious on the tire pressure everyone was running and if maybe I needed an aftermarket torque arm.

Will a torque arm help with traction issues anyone? I'm thinking that I'm not going to hook good until it's 80+ degrees outside by the way it's handling right now.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

My TQs dead hook when warm from any speed even at my "street" inflation of 28psi. And I have a very similar suspension set up except I have a panhard bar which isn't listed in your sig. I'm also right in the ball park you're at on power. Except I have a 6 speed with 3.90 gears... Even at 60 degrees that's not really that cold I think after driving around enough the tires should build up enough heat for you to hook easily from at least a roll... Definitely something not right in my opinion.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
My TQs dead hook when warm from any speed even at my "street" inflation of 28psi. And I have a very similar suspension set up except I have a panhard bar which isn't listed in your sig. I'm also right in the ball park you're at on power. Except I have a 6 speed with 3.90 gears... Even at 60 degrees that's not really that cold I think after driving around enough the tires should build up enough heat for you to hook easily from at least a roll... Definitely something not right in my opinion.
I think something's not right too. I may have to make a post in the suspension section asking about torque arms, because I really don't know what else it could be. I hooked pretty decent doing a 35 roll with 23psi on concrete yesterday, but under that I just seem to have problems. I haven't tried any higher than 24psi, I'll try 26 today and see how that does. It'd supposed to hit almost 80 deg so hopefully that helps.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Et street radial. Cold digs never hooked but with a little tire speed say 5-10 mph it will pull the driver tire all day on concrete......thats on basically stock suspension, bilstiens lowering springs etc.

Side story, saw a 5.0 on the road and he wanted to run em. He said he never launched his car from a dig before so I recommend a 20 roll.....poor bastard never knew what hit him
Old 03-17-2015, 04:13 AM
11 Second Club

Et street radial. Cold digs never hooked but with a little tire speed say 5-10 mph it will pull the driver tire all day on concrete......thats on basically stock suspension, bilstiens lowering springs etc.

Side story, saw a 5.0 on the road and he wanted to run em. He said he never launched his car from a dig before so I recommend a 20 roll.....poor bastard never knew what hit him
Yeah, I'm still waiting to run into one since I got my stall, cam, and headers. But it got up to 80 degrees yesterday so I decided to take it out and see how it did. I drove about 5 miles, pulled over into the carwash and checked my tire pressure. It was at 23.5psi so I headed out to a concrete road to see how it would do. It did noticeably better, I actually dead hooked from a 30 roll and only spun for about 20 feet from a 20 roll. Then I turned around in the median and an 02 som ws6 was driving by. So I get on it to catch up because I've always liked those cars. The light turns red and we're both next to each other, so I say hey, nice car man and gave him a thumbs up. He just says thanks and goes on about his stoplight. Mind you, I don't have a sunset orange metallic ws6, but I just turned 18,000 miles on mine and there were only 306 made in my color 79u blue-green chameleon and only 53 were in the T/A. So he could have not been a douche and said yeah yours too, but whatever. So I said well lets go on green, and when it turned I eased into it about half throttle and nailed it. I span until about 40 but was not bad enough where I wasn't pulling pretty good. By 70 I shut it down because he already figured out it was a loss cause lol.

I also got underneath my car and rechecked my tranny mount bushing and torque arm bushing. Both were fine along with my torque arm, no cracks but maybe a slight bend. I didn't realize the stock one was so flimsy until I pushed around on it and it started flexing. So I may order a torque arm if I can't hook from a dig in 85-90 deg weather. But I will say everyone's advice on waiting for warmer weather looks like it may fix 90% of my problem. I am leaning towards my torque arm needing replaced with an adjustable one.

Quick Reply: Toyo TQ's traction problem,wrong air pressure or my setup?