Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drove my ET Streets in the rain today

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drove my ET Streets in the rain today

Went out for a cruise today on the highway. Started to rain, no down pour by any means. While getting back on the highway there was maybe an inch of water settled at the bottom of the on ramp. In 3rd gear going about 45 I went over the patch. Immediately my *** end kicked out 2-3 feet! Scared the living **** out of me. Wasn't expecting it seeing only an inch of water lol. Anyone that gets stuck in the rain on these tires, be careful!
Old 06-20-2015, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I got caught in a brief heavy downpour with Nittos one time. Car could not physically accelerate past 55 on the hwy, it would start spinning tires even at very light throttle. Very surprised I didn't wreck that day. Never again. Hydroplaning is skimming the top, meaning the weight of the car, the design of the tire, and the amount of water play a huge factor in whether the tire can remove the water and get to the concrete. So, you need to remove X amount of water, ah ha but at what rate? A shitty tire can get rid of a ton of water if you give it enough time to over come its design flaw. So the moral? Go slower. The reduced speed will give a drag radial more time to remove the water from under it so it can contact the road. You can drive in a downpour, but, more water, less mph.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

So true. I put the hazards on and went 45 the whole way home. No problems.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good save man! Glad to see nothing happened besides having to change the underwear lol This a good thread to those that haven't driven in rain on drag radials yet, don't chance it!

My Toyo TQ's are about 50% tread life left if that and they get a little sketchy now too. On heavy downpours with sitting water I keep it about 45mph and have had to go 30mph. When they were new they ran pretty good in heavy rain at 55-60. I don't even chance it now though, and a guy I know just totaled his 01 ss Camaro out 4 days ago by "changing lanes" in his drag radials. I think he was accelerating, but that's another story lol. It sucks though because it was a really nice car with barely 70k miles on it.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Ya, I have been caught in the rain with nt05r's and my et's and think it's a unnecessary risk so the flashers go on and I'm off at the next exit. Had a close call a couple years ago with me being cautious already.
Scotty how ya liking the et's so far?
All I will buy from now on
Old 06-21-2015, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed some BFG g-force sport comp 2s, they hook great on the street at 330 rwhp and they're supposed to be great in the wet.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nothing is worse than a 295/55/15 hoosier dr. Was caught in a heavy down pour, between my manual steering, spool, and the tires the car would not stay strait at 15 mph. I had to pull over wait for the storm to pass and the roads to drain. Needless to say the car doesnt leave the drive way without a look at the weather
Old 06-21-2015, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Ya, I have been caught in the rain with nt05r's and my et's and think it's a unnecessary risk so the flashers go on and I'm off at the next exit. Had a close call a couple years ago with me being cautious already.
Scotty how ya liking the et's so far?
All I will buy from now on
They are working great so far. Haven't done any launches from a dig but from a roll they hook every time and fron first to second I don't go sideways anymore lol.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I was on the way to work today and wrecked my car. It was on the highway, I wasn't quite going 40mph and didn't see the standing water. My toyo tq's have about 50-60% tread life left on them and as we all know, drag radials aren't for rain.

I'm posting this for all the new guys out there on drag radials so they know. In down pours they do great and have never had any issues as long as you use common sense. But as soon as I hit it I started hydroplaning and fish tailing. Ended up running into the concrete median about 30mph, it happens quick. Thought for a second I was going to drive out of it and then I hit another spot of standing water.

It could have been much worse, but it does suck because I just turned 20k miles on it a couple weeks ago. Both wheels have pretty bad curb rash, so I'll have to fight with insurance to find a solution for that. Because I'm not putting sub par wheels on a 20k mi car. The rest of the damage is just on the fender and bumper, so it's not too bad I guess. I haven't got to look under the front end yet to see if anything is bent yet. Here's pics of it.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got caught in the rain driving back from the car being on the dyno. I didn't experience any problems, but I was driving very slow and staying out of the throttle.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Nitto 555Rs were solid in rain, I tested them up to 70MPH.

I DD on NT05Rs. New they are good in rain. Worn they start to hydroplane.

I'm about to order another set, this set (the new ones in the above pic) are sketchy now.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I got caught in the rain driving back from the car being on the dyno. I didn't experience any problems, but I was driving very slow and staying out of the throttle.
This. I have Nitto Invos on at the moment with about 25% tread left and its all about controlling your speed.

Going with an ET street on 15" rims next so I'll have to be even more careful.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Put those hazards on and stay off the throttle. Pull over if you can! I was near the ghetto so I took the risk driving lol.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

No offense guys, but I'm driving a car with 20k miles, old enough to know better (43) and was in no way shape or form in any kind of throttle. Another words, the days of me taking unnecessary risks are long gone. I had people passing me like I was sitting still lol.

They do fine until you hit standing water that's in the ruts from all of the semi trucks. I'm usually between 35-40 depending on how heavy the rain is. I'm just trying to let everyone know that even with all precautions taken, that it can still happen. You can tell by the damage that I wasn't going very fast when it happened or it would have been much worse. Even if it had 200k on it I still would drive like a grandpa (which I am lol), but I'm just extra careful when driving it.

Take it for what it's worth, and hopefully this will save someone else from getting caught in it.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
No offense guys, but I'm driving a car with 20k miles, old enough to know better (43) and was in no way shape or form in any kind of throttle. Another words, the days of me taking unnecessary risks are long gone. I had people passing me like I was sitting still lol.

They do fine until you hit standing water that's in the ruts from all of the semi trucks. I'm usually between 35-40 depending on how heavy the rain is. I'm just trying to let everyone know that even with all precautions taken, that it can still happen. You can tell by the damage that I wasn't going very fast when it happened or it would have been much worse. Even if it had 200k on it I still would drive like a grandpa (which I am lol), but I'm just extra careful when driving it.

Take it for what it's worth, and hopefully this will save someone else from getting caught in it.
I'm having a hard time believing all of this with a 3600 converter
Old 06-26-2015, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
I'm having a hard time believing all of this with a 3600 converter
Hard time believing what? In dry conditions and clear roads I'll run the **** out of it probably harder than most. But in rain there is no place to be an idiot. With a 3600 stall the car takes off on it's own, at 35-40 mph you are barely in the throttle at all. The yank ss is a pretty tight converter with 3.42's

So what is it that you're having a hard time believing here?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
With a 3600 stall the car takes off on it's own.
Well I was being sarcastic at first.. but with that you just validated my statement.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
Well I was being sarcastic at first.. but with that you just validated my statement.
Meaning it takes off from a dead stop on it's own. You don't have to be an asshat about it, I'm not like a few of these guys on srk that race in the rain and crap. There's a time and place for everything, and I posted on here to show people that even if you do drive slow that it can happen. Maybe you drive like that and tell people you don't, idk I didn't post this to have someone bashing me over something they obviously don't know the truth about.

I find nothing about someone wrecking their car funny or called for. If you're not smart enough to figure out that there would be more damage than that if I were going highway speeds then I don't know what to tell you man. But to kick someone when they're down is a dick move.

If I took something wrong from what any of you said, I apologize. I'm not exactly taking things in the right state of mind right now giving the situation.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Sorry about your situation. It's been a commonly repeated story on here for years. I personally have never had a problem DDing on Nittos and TOYOs, but if I'm on the freeway in the rain, my sphincter is tight.

My experience is that these tires are very good in the wet until they wear down to about 60%. It's a pain because I don't want to buy a new set every year. My current TOYOs are about 2 years old and are at 30-40%.

I'd like to find a good pair of street tires that would keep the car from going sideways on a WOT 1-2 shift and ride comfortably. Most of the "ultra-high performance" tires out there are no better than DR's in cold weather, and have such stiff sidewalls that they ride like they're made out of concrete. So I've stuck with DR's in spite of the rain risk.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Sorry about your situation. It's been a commonly repeated story on here for years. I personally have never had a problem DDing on Nittos and TOYOs, but if I'm on the freeway in the rain, my sphincter is tight.

My experience is that these tires are very good in the wet until they wear down to about 60%. It's a pain because I don't want to buy a new set every year. My current TOYOs are about 2 years old and are at 30-40%.

I'd like to find a good pair of street tires that would keep the car from going sideways on a WOT 1-2 shift and ride comfortably. Most of the "ultra-high performance" tires out there are no better than DR's in cold weather, and have such stiff sidewalls that they ride like they're made out of concrete. So I've stuck with DR's in spite of the rain risk.
Thanks man, stuff happens and I'm glad no one got hurt

Yeah these used to do really well until the last time at the track. I got 9 passes in (10 burnouts due to someone breaking) and it just was too much. It'll only be my daily for a few more months and then it'll be a fair weather car.I agree on the ultra high performance being just as bad in cold weather. I have brand new BFG KDW2's that hooked just as good as these when I put them on early this year when it was still cold. So I'll probably go with et streets or et street 2's in a couple months since I won't have to drive it in the rain unless I just get caught in it.

I took it last night to get an estimate on the damage and on the way home it unloaded raining. The wife was with me and we had a half hour drive on the highway. Needless to say, everyone was blowing by me like idiots again with my flashers on. Was going to take the next exit but it slowed down a little, so I just kept between 35-40 with no issues. That was a little uneasy since that morning I had a bad call. Luckily this was a concrete highway vs the old grooved blacktop the other was.

All is well though and will be going in possibly next week to get fixed

Quick Reply: Drove my ET Streets in the rain today