Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bigger and better tires for stock WS6s

Old 08-31-2015, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bigger and better tires for stock WS6s

What is the biggest and best looking tire to fit on stock 17s? I still have the original Goodyears with 16k miles in great shape. I just want something better.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Best looking tire? Don't they all look the same. Stock Ws6 wheels id say safely probably a 285.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Appearance is subjective, IMO all the best looking tires for this sized wheel have been mostly discontinued at this point. BFG Comp T/A, BFG KD and KDW, Goodyear Eagle GS-C..... all of those were my top favorites in terms of appearance and they are all gone now. I guess the BFG Sport Comp 2 is decent looking and would be my top choice of the current market offerings.

For the stock 17x9 wheels, you can do a 285/40 without any issues at all, but that's the biggest I would go personally.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Appearance is subjective, IMO all the best looking tires for this sized wheel have been mostly discontinued at this point. BFG Comp T/A, BFG KD and KDW, Goodyear Eagle GS-C..... all of those were my top favorites in terms of appearance and they are all gone now. I guess the BFG Sport Comp 2 is decent looking and would be my top choice of the current market offerings.
The GSD3 as well, but they are BIG $$$$$ IF you can even find them in stock somewhere.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I think the nt05's look good, 275/40/17
Old 09-05-2015, 12:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by dailydriver
The GSD3 as well, but they are BIG $$$$$ IF you can even find them in stock somewhere.
GSD3 tread pattern never appealed to me. Having said that, I bought a set anyway back when I had TTIIs on the car because I wanted a 275/285 F/R combo with matched tires, and the GSD3 were the only non-asian tires that were still made in both of these sizes. They were a good tire, not good enough to justify the cost though, but I never cared for the tread pattern.

You can still find them in a 275/40/17 size without much issue.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Id like to get new wheels and run 18s but my car is very pure with low miles so Im not sure if I want to keep it stock looking...
Old 09-05-2015, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
GSD3 tread pattern never appealed to me. Having said that, I bought a set anyway back when I had TTIIs on the car because I wanted a 275/285 F/R combo with matched tires, and the GSD3 were the only non-asian tires that were still made in both of these sizes. They were a good tire, not good enough to justify the cost though, but I never cared for the tread pattern.

You can still find them in a 275/40/17 size without much issue.
I hear you on that, as it was a "love it or hate it" type of tread pattern.

But then I HATE the tread pattern on my BFG Sport Comp 2s (even though I LOVE the way they handle/ride, and they are the ONLY decent 245/255/50-16 left on the planet that is not an R compound, or 100 tread wear road racing tire).

I know that some really like the tread pattern on the Comp 2s, so to each his own I guess.

The popular on here, and elsewhere, tire which I personally just CANNOT STAND the tread pattern of is the Nitto Invo.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I hear you on that, as it was a "love it or hate it" type of tread pattern.

But then I HATE the tread pattern on my BFG Sport Comp 2s (even though I LOVE the way they handle/ride, and they are the ONLY decent 245/255/50-16 left on the planet that is not an R compound, or 100 tread wear road racing tire).

I know that some really like the tread pattern on the Comp 2s, so to each his own I guess.

The popular on here, and elsewhere, tire which I personally just CANNOT STAND the tread pattern of is the Nitto Invo.
Tread patterns stand out to me too, so I'm definitely with you on that. The BFG Sport Comp 2 certainly isn't the greatest looking, but it's tolerable to me. IMO, the BFG KD and KDW (original KDW - NOT the KDW2 with that ridiculous "flame" pattern that people once loved), and even older BFG Comp T/A, had some of the best tread patterns ever, closely followed by the old Goodyear Eagle GS-C. I also liked the looks of the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS (OEM SS/WS6 tire for '98+), but they were horrible for dry weather traction.

I wish I could still buy a new set of BFG KDW, they have been my favorite all-around tire (meaning cost, performance and appearance) in a 275/40/17 size for the last 15+ years of which I've bought tires in this size.

As far as Nitto, I've never cared for the appearance of any of their tires.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

I know, as I had a set of KDs in 275/40-17 on the car with factory SS, ZR1 style wheels when it was ~2 years old.

BEST handling summer/street tire I EVER had, as long as it was > 45*F and dry out (they were even decent in the wet as long as it was warm out), and YES, good looking as well with that big blocked tread pattern.

As much as people rant and rave about the new Michelin Pilot Sports, I'd be willing to bet that the KDs would kick their azz in warm/dry conditions, given the same size/wheel.
Of course the Pilot Sport would then kick the KD's azz in wear, and noise/ride/comfort.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I know, as I had a set of KDs in 275/40-17 on the car with factory SS, ZR1 style wheels when it was ~2 years old.

BEST handling summer/street tire I EVER had, as long as it was > 45*F and dry out (they were even decent in the wet as long as it was warm out), and YES, good looking as well with that big blocked tread pattern.

As much as people rant and rave about the new Michelin Pilot Sports, I'd be willing to bet that the KDs would kick their azz in warm/dry conditions, given the same size/wheel.
Of course the Pilot Sport would then kick the KD's azz in wear, and noise/ride/comfort.

The KD was almost as good as a drag radial, but with VASTLY better road manners/handling, super sticky in warm temps and several of us locally cut some pretty good 60-foot times on them. Only reason I preferred the KDW was treadwear for regular road use.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bigger and better tires for stock WS6s