Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Chrome plating surface damage/defects....what can cause this??...PICTURES....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Chrome plating surface damage/defects....what can cause this??...PICTURES....

Maybe I will get more opinions in this section.....

Pictures aren't great but maybe you can tell.

NOTE...This started to appear 6 months after putting them on brand new. It was not there at all when I got the wheels brand new.

Basically these are raised little hard bumps...like the chrome is bubbling up from inside. You can feel them very easily and they feel like grains of sand trying to push through the chrome plating.

Someone said brake dust causes this....BUT I would think if brake dust can cause this then the entire surface would be covered completely with these bumps because brake dust would cover every square inch of the surface. Plus...I basically never have any brake dust....and I wash my car twice a week anyway.
ALSO...look at those few little squiggly lines....looks like pieces of hair under the chrome trying to push its way out.

All I ever use to clean them is basic car soap and water with a rag. These are less than one year old.

What do you think it is.....Manufacturing problem? Chrome is too thin of a layer?
Pitting or rough surface was there before they chromed it.....??

Thanks....

Name:  rim%20damage%20chrome%202_zpspaaqva6f.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  268.7 KB

Name:  rim%20damage%20chrome_zpsorwymcnz.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  148.6 KB

Quick Reply: Chrome plating surface damage/defects....what can cause this??...PICTURES....