Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Can I cut this piece off? C5 wheels rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I cut this piece off? C5 wheels rubbing

I have a set of c5 50th anniversary edition wheels.

On the passenger side, I hammered in from the 3 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock position and it fits fine there.

However at the 12 o'clock position is a tab that sticks out. It looks like where the floor curls under the metal fender liner and they bolt together. Can this tab be cut off?

Edit: While searching i randomly came across it. It's the bump stop tab that is rubbing. The rubber rotted off long ago so I didn't recognize it. It's just the metal there now.

Can I cut off the bump stop tab? Is it really needed? Now that I know the name of it. I'll do some searching but since this is already up, I'll leave it.

Last edited by Genhero; 09-11-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You should really get some bump stops if you say they're already rotted away. In my case I did have to take a grinder to it a little in order for my wheels not to rub.

Also, do you have an adjustable panhard bar? If it's just rubbing on one side of the car try to move the rear over until it doesn't rub anymore.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by M4N14C
You should really get some bump stops if you say they're already rotted away. In my case I did have to take a grinder to it a little in order for my wheels not to rub.

Also, do you have an adjustable panhard bar? If it's just rubbing on one side of the car try to move the rear over until it doesn't rub anymore.
I just installed a non-adjustable today (regretted not buying an adjustable as soon as I clicked confirm order). I think I'll try grinding them back to the bolt holes and see if I can get them back on. There isn't much room on the driver's side either. Maybe an extra mm or 2 but they should both be trimmed. My passenger side rim caught it and bent the rim a little.

Any chance there are axle mounted bump stops?
Old 09-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Why cant you just cut the bumpstops clear off and throw a bumpstop on the actual shocks themselves? I have the problem when you put the car on stands the rear wheels catch the bumpstops when you let the rear hang freely.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zach-R
Why cant you just cut the bumpstops clear off and throw a bumpstop on the actual shocks themselves? I have the problem when you put the car on stands the rear wheels catch the bumpstops when you let the rear hang freely.
I ended up cutting mine off. I'm looking for shock bumpers right now. If anyone know which ones to use for SLP Bilstein shocks a link to a part number or the correct height would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach-R
The area that the shocks attach to on the chassis was not made to take that kind of abuse.
You could possibly mount a bumpstop inside the spring connected to the spring perch on the rear axle, search for this it has been done before.

Quick Reply: Can I cut this piece off? C5 wheels rubbing