Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How Screwed are my Rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Screwed are my Rims

I moved back to the coast three years ago and here is what has happened to my rims: car stays outside.

The rims appear to have a buildup of salt and there are portions of the rim that are bubbling up.

What should I do with the rims? I have thought about having them blasted back down and re-coated but that might be as expensive as a new set of rims. The other option is to have them painted vs re-chromed.

Advice would be appreciated,

Sawacs
Old 04-04-2017, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where the chrome is bubbling there really isn't anything you can do. The hard water spots may come out with the right chrome cleaner/polisher. If the car is going to continue to sit outside, I would stay away from chrome.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Where the chrome is bubbling there really isn't anything you can do. The hard water spots may come out with the right chrome cleaner/polisher. If the car is going to continue to sit outside, I would stay away from chrome.
The hard water spots come right off using the Flitz polish but the rest doesn't. Painted wheels might be a good way to go..

Thanks
Old 04-04-2017, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Qfly
The hard water spots come right off using the Flitz polish but the rest doesn't. Painted wheels might be a good way to go..

Thanks
Flitz is some good stuff. I used that on the CCW 505a wheels I used to have. When I bought them (used), they needed some attention. I prefer working with raw aluminum wheels myself. You really can't mess them up. If you do, just start sanding and work your way down to a less aggressive method. Polish with some good stuff and you're good to go. My daily driver Yukon Denali has chrome wheels and there are a few spots like what you've show in the pictures. It was more on the inside of the wheel, so I peeled it off and so far it's been okay.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Flitz is some good stuff. I used that on the CCW 505a wheels I used to have. When I bought them (used), they needed some attention. I prefer working with raw aluminum wheels myself. You really can't mess them up. If you do, just start sanding and work your way down to a less aggressive method. Polish with some good stuff and you're good to go. My daily driver Yukon Denali has chrome wheels and there are a few spots like what you've show in the pictures. It was more on the inside of the wheel, so I peeled it off and so far it's been okay.
Humm.. I wonder if the entire rim could be blasted back down to aluminum then brought back up to a nice polished look.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

That's what I would do.

I have raw aluminum wheels. And they are easy to clean and bring back.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Qfly
Humm.. I wonder if the entire rim could be blasted back down to aluminum then brought back up to a nice polished look.
I don't see why not. Start with a very small area and test it out first.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats one of the drawbacks living near the ocean. I had a sinilar thing happen to my TT2s that had a clear coat on it when i lived on the west coast. It is a form if corrosion snd the only way to fix it is to have it stripped if it has a coating and then polished back out. Mine still have some hints of that damage still.

It happens more if the car sits outside without a garage and you dont keep up cleaning them.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

I contacted a local powder coating company to inquire about having the rims coated and they wanted 110.00 per rim which I suppose isn't too bad. However, after factoring in the cost of having the tires removed plus the coating costs, the blasting down to aluminum route sounds like a better alternative for sure. Plus, as Jake and Phoenix mentioned, aluminum is much easier to work with and maintain.

While living up in Oklahoma for 20 years, I had tools that were 5 plus years old without a spot of rust on them. Since moving back down to my salty home town, I am having to add a tablespoon of rust preventative to my orange juice in the morning so I don't rust!

Thanks for the information fellas,

Shawn

Last edited by Qfly; 04-05-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Teching In

I think having them stripped and powdercoated would be the best option

Quick Reply: How Screwed are my Rims