Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Keep bending wheel lips; Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Exclamation Keep bending wheel lips; Tire Recommendations

Hey Guys-

So I need some advice/recommendations on front tires for my Weld RT-S 18x10's. They are currently wrapped with Toyo R888 295/30's (less than 500 miles on them) however, I have slightly bent the out lips on both fronts on 2 separate occasions already.

All have been due to very slight imperfections in the road. I feel this is mainly due to the very short and extremely stiff sidewalls on these tires, along with a stiffer suspension (BMR springs/Bilsteins) and obviously the vehicle weight up front.

What brand and size tire would you guys suggestion I replace them with so I don't run into this issue again after having the wheels straightened? Something that will complement my rear tires. (315/30r18 (R888)- 25.5")

Would 285/35" give me enough side wall cushion? What brand/model has a less stiff sidewall? Anyone have experience with Sumitomo HTR Z II's?

Here is the mentioned bends...

Name:  PS%20front%203.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  PS%20front%201.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  25.2 KB
Old 06-19-2017, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I run 265/35 R888 Toyo's on my front rims and have never bent the hoop in 5 years of driving on Michigan's shitty roads. The wheels are 3 piece forged. What tire pressure are you running? Perhaps you got a defective hoop?
Old 06-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
I run 265/35 R888 Toyo's on my front rims and have never bent the hoop in 5 years of driving on Michigan's shitty roads. The wheels are 3 piece forged. What tire pressure are you running? Perhaps you got a defective hoop?
Front tire pressure is at 30lbs. If it was just one, then I consider the possibility of the hoop being defective but both my fronts are bent. I had them straightened and now have both fronts bent again. I didn't hit any potholes nor anything I felt would have been the culprit. I really feel the stiff side walls are the problem. I'd hate to think weld wheels are that damn fragile.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you go in/out of any entrances or driveways with raised thresholds?

do you go over railroad tracks fast?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dojob
do you go in/out of any entrances or driveways with raised thresholds?

do you go over railroad tracks fast?
No railroad tracks, as I live downtown Chicago. There are tons of areas on the highway where they half *** patched up a pothole or channel they cut across the lane. (1" height diff in surfaces) The height difference in roads is what caused the first bent lips and are harder to see coming or avoid.

With that said, would a 285/35 with a softer side wall really help over a 295/30?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could try wider tires, but there is no road rash on those bends to indicate contact with the rim caused damage. I think you should speak with weld or the manufacturer they may have better insight onto why they are bending

How much do they charge for the straightening
Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would the rim being weaker in that area after straighting be normal or not?

Last edited by Snake_Skinner; 06-20-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
Front tire pressure is at 30lbs. If it was just one, then I consider the possibility of the hoop being defective but both my fronts are bent. I had them straightened and now have both fronts bent again. I didn't hit any potholes nor anything I felt would have been the culprit. I really feel the stiff side walls are the problem. I'd hate to think weld wheels are that damn fragile.
Weird. I run my fronts at 23-25psi because they ride sooo much better than 30psi. I've hit some pretty narly pot holes and railroad tracks and have yet to bend a rim. I think your problem is with the wheel, not the tire.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

OP I'd contact Weld honestly.

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
Weird. I run my fronts at 23-25psi because they ride sooo much better than 30psi. I've hit some pretty narly pot holes and railroad tracks and have yet to bend a rim. I think your problem is with the wheel, not the tire.
WOW that's low for a front tire. What's it wear like? That's gotta feel sloppy I'd think.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbird31
OP I'd contact Weld honestly.

WOW that's low for a front tire. What's it wear like? That's gotta feel sloppy I'd think.
It's actually not too bad. The car wants to dart a little more in ruts but that's it. Tire wear seems to be spot on so far.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
You could try wider tires, but there is no road rash on those bends to indicate contact with the rim caused damage. I think you should speak with weld or the manufacturer they may have better insight onto why they are bending

How much do they charge for the straightening
Larger tire than a 295/30 up front on a 18x10? There won't be any curb rash on the wheel as I'm not saying it's hitting the road. I believe what is happening is the short (30's) stiff side walls on the R888's are not flexing much, if any, so the lip is taking the brunt of the impact. (coupled with stiff suspension and most of the vehicle weight in front obviously)

I may try lowering the cold tire pressure to 26-27psi and see if that helps any. Warm/hot around 30'ish, rather than 30 cold and more so when making runs on the highway.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Many Weld wheels are designed to bend instead of break, good for the track (They can be straightened) Not as good for the street as they can bend. Also a lot of their wheels are designed for min weight, which means thinner material, I've run them a lot of sprint cars, they are very tough and we have straightened them more than I'd like Ours are the 3piece ones with beadlocks. I think your actually compressing the tire till the sidewall folds and bending the rim.. Low profile tires on heavy cars... yep.. BTDT Got the bent 16's for grinder stands in the garage..
Old 06-20-2017, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

315/30/18 R888's on 18x11 Forgestars and no bending whatsoever. I've hit some potholes HARD. I would definitely get in contact with Weld.

BTW I run 26psi cold fronts and 24 rear.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Many Weld wheels are designed to bend instead of break, good for the track (They can be straightened) Not as good for the street as they can bend. Also a lot of their wheels are designed for min weight, which means thinner material, I've run them a lot of sprint cars, they are very tough and we have straightened them more than I'd like Ours are the 3piece ones with beadlocks. I think your actually compressing the tire till the sidewall folds and bending the rim.. Low profile tires on heavy cars... yep.. BTDT Got the bent 16's for grinder stands in the garage..
Very interesting, good info. So would you say lowering the tire pressure would just add to the problem by allowing the sidewall to fold more, in turn bending the rim. Would you recommend upping the tire pressure or just switching to a 285/35r18 tire with a less firm sidewall? (something like Sumitomo HTR Z II)

Originally Posted by M4N14C
315/30/18 R888's on 18x11 Forgestars and no bending whatsoever. I've hit some potholes HARD. I would definitely get in contact with Weld.

BTW I run 26psi cold fronts and 24 rear.
See that's the thing, same here. I have 315/30r18 R888's on 18x11's in the rear and they are perfectly fine going over the same road conditions that are bending the fronts. I think pdxmotorhead is right, the heavy nose mixed with a low profile stiff tire is the main culprit. Just want to know if a 285/35 would be enough sidewall to help prevent this from happening again before spending more coin...or...am I just SOL and have to keep spending $200 to straighten the two fronts every time.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
See that's the thing, same here. I have 315/30r18 R888's on 18x11's in the rear and they are perfectly fine going over the same road conditions that are bending the fronts. I think pdxmotorhead is right, the heavy nose mixed with a low profile stiff tire is the main culprit. Just want to know if a 285/35 would be enough sidewall to help prevent this from happening again before spending more coin...or...am I just SOL and have to keep spending $200 to straighten the two fronts every time.
For clarification, I'm running the 315/30/18 R888's both in the front and rear. Neither have any deflection.

I think the issue here are the wheels.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

I would think higher tire pressures would focus the weight of the tire more into the center of the tire which may help deflect the impact better across the rim

Also are your inner barrels bending as well? Your camber could be riding on the outside edge of the rim
Old 06-21-2017, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Low tire pressure will help hurt the rim. Good question ^^^^^ Are they bent inside AND out?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
I would think higher tire pressures would focus the weight of the tire more into the center of the tire which may help deflect the impact better across the rim

Also are your inner barrels bending as well? Your camber could be riding on the outside edge of the rim
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Low tire pressure will help hurt the rim. Good question ^^^^^ Are they bent inside AND out?
Makes sense! Just the outer portion is bending on both wheels, the inner barrels are perfect. I think you may be right on the camber point.

What do you guys suggest for alignment settings? Car is lowered on BMR springs. (26.6" from ground to top/center of front fender lip)
Old 06-21-2017, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

My thinking is you may want to run a few degrees negative camber to ride heavier on the inside of the rim.

I'm not sure how my car was aligned, but for ten years now my car has had camber wear on the outer edges of the front tires, where as most lowered cars seem to ride heavier on the inner part of the front tires.

You may want to check to see how the tires are wearing out as well. If they have less tread on the inner as opposed to the outers

Quick Reply: Keep bending wheel lips; Tire Recommendations