Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Limited Tire Options: Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Limited Tire Options: Opinions Needed

I am going to be running the C7 Grand Sport Cup wheels and my tire choices are limited. I basically have only four choices of tires that come in the size needed.
Front: 285/30ZR19
Rear: 3325/25ZR20
  • Continental Extreme Contact Sport
  • Nitto Invos
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP (runflat)
  • Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP (runflat)

I was leaning towards the Pilot Cup tires but they don’t recommend even storing them in temperatures below 40 degrees. Ohio winters nix that as I don’t want to compromise the rubber compound when the car sits for the winter. Looking for folks who have experience with any of these tires. They are all similarly priced with the continentals being the least expensive. Cost really isn’t a concern, more concerned about folks experience. Car will have 500rwhp and will 99% be street driven in nice weather.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I wouldn't leave any of those tires outside during the winter if you want them to be good next season. If you want more options just run a different size, nothing is stopping you.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
I wouldn't leave any of those tires outside during the winter if you want them to be good next season. If you want more options just run a different size, nothing is stopping you.

I did explore different sizes but I need to stay in the 26" height range which only gives me a few more options. The nitto's are actually 345 width. I looked for sizes in both up and down. I could do a Perelli setup but the stagger was too far apart for my liking. 345 on rear and 275 up front.

The car will be inside during the winter but there are definitely times where the temps will be below 40 degrees in my garage. Not extended periods of time but time none the less. I could just go Cliche Camaro and put it on blocks for the winter.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend doing that assuming you don't have any tires you don't care about to throw on for the winter. All my fun tires come into the house for the offseason for that reason (along with the dampers, but that's more making the car less appealing for would-be storage unit raiders)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
I would recommend doing that assuming you don't have any tires you don't care about to throw on for the winter. All my fun tires come into the house for the offseason for that reason (along with the dampers, but that's more making the car less appealing for would-be storage unit raiders)
That's a good idea. I could get a set of cheap C6 wheels with shot tires just for it to sit for the winter, but still be able to roll should the house catch on fire.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingDumpster
That's a good idea. I could get a set of cheap C6 wheels with shot tires just for it to sit for the winter, but still be able to roll should the house catch on fire.

Or you could get an inexpensive set of wheels and put some all-season tires on them and rock and roll through the nice days of winter. I have a set of Michelins just for winter.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stp001
Or you could get an inexpensive set of wheels and put some all-season tires on them and rock and roll through the nice days of winter. I have a set of Michelins just for winter.
I'll likely get a set of used wheels and tires for the car to sit on during the winter and put my main wheels and rubber in the house.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Continental Extreme Contact DW in 275/30R19 all around on my TA. They are a great tire. Mine have maybe 20% left in the tread and they have not lost their zest. They are grippy, smooth riding, and they have a progressive break away. I had 275/40R17 BFG G-Force Sports before, which have an artificially stiff sidewall for handling, and while they had a bit sharper turn-in, they were actually stiffer (!), noisier on the highway, tramline a bit more, and had much less predictable break-away despite being on 2" smaller diameter wheels. I want to try some Michelin Pilot Super Sport or newer Sport 4S as my next tires, but I cannot imagine finding a better tire other than possibly Michelins over the Continentals.

That is for a street car in California anyway. If you plan on driving in inclement weather or track use, you will probably want something else.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the old Continental Extreme Contact DW and now have the new Extreme Contact Sports on my street wheels. I just can't say enough good things about this tire. Even at the end of its life it's still performs, not noisy, no cupping issues, no issues with the tire getting hard. Fwiw my Camaro is stored on the Continentals in the winter in a well insulated garage, I've not had any issue with them in doing so.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT4vert
I had the old Continental Extreme Contact DW and now have the new Extreme Contact Sports on my street wheels. I just can't say enough good things about this tire. Even at the end of its life it's still performs, not noisy, no cupping issues, no issues with the tire getting hard. Fwiw my Camaro is stored on the Continentals in the winter in a well insulated garage, I've not had any issue with them in doing so.

Thanks guys. This is all really good info. I might give them a try. They are cheaper and seem less restrictive than the michelins.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Continentals are really the best street fun tire. The last gen DWs were the same speed regardless if it was dry or if there were puddles everywhere. Granted that meant they sucked as an autocross tire, but they were perfect blend of good grip and rain performance/longevity on a street driven car. The new ECS tire is a good bit grippier in the dry.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I had INVOs on my SRT8 daily driver and they got stored in the garage over the winter and did not seem to harden at all. I drove them right to the wear bars. A nice tire. A little soft in the side walls, but offered great grip. Also worked well in the rain. I also tracked the car a couple times and they worked pretty well for a street tire on a 4400lb car.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
I had INVOs on my SRT8 daily driver and they got stored in the garage over the winter and did not seem to harden at all. I drove them right to the wear bars. A nice tire. A little soft in the side walls, but offered great grip. Also worked well in the rain. I also tracked the car a couple times and they worked pretty well for a street tire on a 4400lb car.
Also good info here. The SRT has similar size that I will be running and this is good to hear on the wear given the weight of those Jeeps.

Quick Reply: Limited Tire Options: Opinions Needed