Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Widened rims......plus custom chrome.....Finished....(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm curious as to the weight of the wheels, for the amount of money this cost you could have got some nice lightweight custom forged wheels.

Then again chrome is not my thing
Old 09-01-2017, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Not offended at all. How/why could I be, it's not my ca. I just knew what you were going to say as soon as I read the post. Hence my subsequent post pointing out.........wait for it....wait for it....... exactly what you were going to say.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I'm curious as to the weight of the wheels, for the amount of money this cost you could have got some nice lightweight custom forged wheels.

Then again chrome is not my thing
Ding ding! Good point but some people luuuv chrome. I count myself in that group. I personally think chrome is the bees knees and can't stand things like black rims. A little over a grand for a set of wheels that wide and with a high quality chrome job is pretty good IMO. Also, some people like to stay with the at least somewhat factory look.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Not offended at all. How/why could I be, it's not my ca. I just knew what you were going to say as soon as I read the post. Hence my subsequent post pointing out.........wait for it....wait for it....... exactly what you were going to say.
You're an internet crybaby, everyone who pays attention knows it. I made a statement, nothing negative, and your mind reading and drama popped right out didnt it! You are derailing this man's thread, not me. And for the record, I've only done 10-15 rear ends in my lifetime. None have ever broken though so I must be doing something right
Old 09-01-2017, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Lol, crying all day long over here. And everyone knows it. Are you gonna say "no you are" if I call you a name? Or do you go with the more formal, and mature "I know you are but what am I" ???

Go read your own post back... "Looks......I guess?" Couldn't have been more of an Ahole statement, just mildly disguised but still clearly condescending and just writhe with "I wanna tell you why you're stupid",. You then went on to say EXACTLY WHAT I SAID YOU WERE GOING TO. I wasn't accusing you of insulting the OP, I was asking you if you were gonna be the douche who says EXACTLY WHAT YOU THEN SAID. Hysterical.

And """""for the record""""" the last time you told me - unsolicited - how many rear ends you had done you sure as S didn't include the word "only". It was just a smiiiiiiidge more like "I've done a ton of rear ends so I know what I'm talking about and you don't". Wait, I'm sorry, it wasnt a smidge like that. It was EXACTLY LIKE THAT. I think I know you better than you know yourself. Too bad you're a ball sack with a wiggling growth on it. And just
Old 09-01-2017, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you pay attention, and learn the fundamentals of a rear end, then practice it 15 times with actual builds, I promise anyone here could do it with their eyes closed, its not a difficult task, never said it was. My posts in the rear gear section are THE most informative from a single poster on this entire site. I saw your little gem of a post today in the appearance section. Your posts are pure ****, you dont impress me one single bit with the garbage you type.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

I wasn't aware that I was trying to impress anyone there Hot Rod. I think someone is projeeeeeecting!!!! Simply pointing out that you made a condescending remark to someone trying to do what the majority of car enthusiasts think is awesome..... put big *** tires on the back of their car. The reason I said the OP did it? Awesomeness. Go run as fast as you want on a stock rim. Great. If you want to be the curmudgeon who doesn't like big tires.....great. But that's ******* weird. OP has a car he's had forever, been ruinning 315's forever, wants something bigger..... Why are you doing that? Looks....I guess??? Whatg an ahole. But to each his own. I wasn't even mad when I responded to your post, otherwise I wouldn't have used the word awesomeness. I was pointing out the fact that who gives a **** if they hook better, handle better, give better blow jobs, those big tires are fng awesome.

DOES ANYONE DISAGREE THAT - if you aren't concerned about racing - WIDE REAR TIRES ARE COOL?
Old 09-01-2017, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like wide rear tires, and i like chrome rims. My daily setup for the car is 305/40/18 rears, in chrome and I think it looks fantastic even though it wasnt well received here. You arent near as smart as you think you are fella. Im done mucking this guys thread up with your sillyness.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
They dont weld steel hoops to aluminum rims.

I appreciate the effort involved here, and i realize its unique, but what was the overall goal? Looks i guess......?
Well then aluminum hoops.

Weldcraft does the hoop method. Call them.....they will tell you they do exactly what I explained.

Obviously steel hoops are used on steel wheels.........I can only assume they would use aluminum hoops on aluminum wheels.
Or refuse to widen aluminum wheels.....

Many people here have used Weldcraft to widen their wheels....maybe they are all steel wheels.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NEstyle
Yeah... that's not happening. You can't weld steel to aluminum. haha.
and again..........

Well then aluminum hoops.

Weldcraft does the hoop method. Call them.....they will tell you they do exactly what I explained.

Obviously steel hoops are used on steel wheels.........I can only assume they would use aluminum hoops on aluminum wheels.
Or refuse to widen aluminum wheels.....

Many people here have used Weldcraft to widen their wheels....maybe they are all steel wheels.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:56 PM
Banned

I appreciate the effort involved here, and i realize its unique, but what was the overall goal? Looks i guess......?
Looks and absolutely better dry traction...........

I know Lambos, Vipers, Mclarens and other exotics use 335/345 because it would look terrible with 275 tires on the back.

But if you took any one of those exotic cars and actually did throw a 275 tire on the rear ((and a properly matched set up front, say a set of 275 tires also))....

What do you think would happen to the lap times of those cars on a road course....as compared to the WIDER tire combo?

What will happen to all of their 0-60mph times?

1/4 mile times?

Slalom course?

Go ahead....you can say it.....every single PERFORMANCE test would fall on its face....

So wider tires have a TON to do with performance....even on a dedicated street car.

----Now.....I have another identical set of these rims in 18 x 10.5, as they came. I am putting Hoosiers or M/T tires, probably in 305 size for race/fun days.......Then I will hook much better in a straight line.

But after my turbo kit goes in and I have 1,000+ RWHP......its a fact that these 335/30/18 Michelin Pilot Sport tires will be much better for dry traction for every day DAILY driving ((not racing)) and they will also be great in the rain.

Am I wrong.....will my 315 tires grip better?????

Old 09-01-2017, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

They will grip better I agree. However, based on my personal car, I found huge traction gains in tire composition and how they are made over width. If a tire hooks good at 275 it makes sense it will hook better at 315, no arguing that, but I've found for drag traction how the tire is made is super important, even with the same compound. Case in point when I changed from one et street to another, same compound, even wider, and had terrible results. I think this is also why your high end cars run essentially a drag radial, even if it's a stiff structure for cornering. Regardless, you did this mod right and the wheels look great and you will never run into another car with the same setup. So props for doing it the right way.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:40 PM
Banned

They will grip better I agree. However, based on my personal car, I found huge traction gains in tire composition and how they are made over width. If a tire hooks good at 275 it makes sense it will hook better at 315, no arguing that, but I've found for drag traction how the tire is made is super important, even with the same compound. Case in point when I changed from one et street to another, same compound, even wider, and had terrible results. I think this is also why your high end cars run essentially a drag radial, even if it's a stiff structure for cornering. Regardless, you did this mod right and the wheels look great and you will never run into another car with the same setup. So props for doing it the right way.
I went with these 335 Mich Pilot Sports mostly for longevity.....and for the great wet traction they offer. I will never drag race with them. Actually this car will most likely never see a drag track, just roll runs. All these Michelins will be used for is daily driving and to have as much safe fun as they will allow me to have with 1,000+ RWHP on the street when its dry. But nothing at all running it hard. I hope they last me 6-7 years, since I am only home in the USA 6 months a year to drive it.

I have another identical set of these rims in 18 x 10.5. These will be getting an M/T or Hoosier....or maybe the NT05 Nitto in 305 or 315 size....for when I want to go run it hard.

They are also getting sent to the chrome shop that did these rims.......so all I have to do is jack it up and swap the rears for race/fun days.

But the Michelins being 335 wide, in a basic street radial compound just like any 275 Goodyear.....will be a better performer in braking, handling, stopping and acceleration. All around....wider is better.

I have a dozen neighbors in Dubai that have Lambos and Ferraris and Porsches......they all have basic street radicals on their cars with treadwear numbers in the 200 range. They all come with basic street radials. The only car I have ever heard of that comes with a soft compound drag type tire is the new Dodge Demon.

What exotic car comes with soft R-Compound type tires from the manufacturer. Even the Bugatti Veyron, which there are 2 in my building in Dubai ((owned by women...LOL)) have regular radial tires. Not soft rubber.

I have to do some cutting to my inner wheel well walls to cut away the bump-stop mounts and those ridges that stick out....and then weld a flat steel plate back into that area to put the strength back into it...actually it will be stronger when done. Then these big bastards will fit. Oh, I also ordered offset LCAs from Spohn. Thats it.

Last edited by LS6427; 09-06-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Widened rims......plus custom chrome.....Finished....(PICS)