Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What can I use to keep drag radials from drying out and cracking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

Default What can I use to keep drag radials from drying out and cracking?

I have a set of Toyo Proxes DRs on my car, that are starting to crack from sitting outside in the desert. I travel for work, and I live close to work, so I probably don't even drive 75 miles in a month. I have noticed that the tires are starting to crack from being dry. I put the tires on in May of 17. I think the mfg date is August of 16.

Is there anything that I can use that will keep the tires from drying out so fast?
Old 09-04-2017, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Tires hate Light and Heat.. Box them and keep them in a shady place, often basements are best. A large plastic trash can works pretty well if they will fit.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Taking the wheels off of the car isn't an option, and I don't have a garage.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Race compound tires are not usually blended with UV protection like street tires, they are not designed to last more than 10K miles at best. So other than putting some covers on them when parked (Its what the RV guys do) You might see if you can find a tire dressing that you can coat the side walls with that has some UV protection in it, I'd try calling tire-rack or one of the similar outfits and see if they sell anything to race tires. I know that off the car, unmounted race tires will out-gas and die within about 2 years tops.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
Taking the wheels off of the car isn't an option, and I don't have a garage.
If you live in the desert and can't park in a garage then your only real option is to cover them with something like a paint overspray wheel cover or whole car cover that goes to the floor to hopefully block some UV rays...which will be a huge pain in the *** and be time consuming every time you park the car.

There isn't anything you can apply to a tire that would be safe to drive on and protect it from direct sun damage.

The real answer is a second pair of street wheels/tires to daily drive on, and swap the DRs for when you need them. That is a big expense, but after a few pairs of prematurely replaced tires it will start making sense.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

I might try some Chemical Guys TVD 102. I can spray this stuff on the tires every Friday, let it sit until Monday.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

You still want to avoid getting it on the tread, it will cause the rubber to seal up and it can get viciously slick.. Race rubber has a open pore surface to help it grip the track, so if you get any kind of a lubricant, or sealer on the tread itself it gets scary..

Good luck!

Quick Reply: What can I use to keep drag radials from drying out and cracking?