Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need wheel suggestion for ’98 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need wheel suggestion for ’98 Trans Am

Earlier this month, I ordered a set of Miro 111 wheels from 6LE Designs and 275/35-18 tires from Tire Rack.

Tires showed up within a day but I waited 3 weeks on 6LE before I decided to make a dispute with PayPal to get a refund.

Now I have a full set of 275/35-18 tires but no wheels to put them on.

What wheels are readily available to use these tires on? I wanted the Forgestar from Strano but that is an 8 week build time.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the big rush? I consider wheels to be a pretty big purchase and something that really changes how your car looks, so I'd rather wait and get what I really wanted than just settling for whatever I could get fast. But that's also based on situation - for me, my Trans Am is a secondary car that isn't going to see the road again until April or May likely.

Just doing a Google search for Miro 111 it looks like there are lots of other vendors online that sell them - maybe you could call some of them up and confirm an estimated shipping time and that they have them in stock? If you're really in a rush for some reason, you might be better off just calling up local wheel and tire shops and seeing what they have in stock, or what they can get quick. That way instead of punching in an online order and waiting for it to show up, you're physically picking them up on the spot.

I'd personally just wait on Forgestars - they look nice, are well built, and you get them built to the offset and specs that you want so they fit perfectly. If you're just getting something 'fast' then you might have to settle on whatever offset wheels are in stock.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, those are not uncommon wheels is what google is telling me. Did you talk to 6LE about them or did you just dispute the charge? I would hope you called. Did they give you a time estimate? Other places may have them in stock.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Yes, those are not uncommon wheels is what google is telling me. Did you talk to 6LE about them or did you just dispute the charge? I would hope you called. Did they give you a time estimate? Other places may have them in stock.
The time estimate on the website says 5-10 days but it went beyond that. All my contact with 6LE has been via email. I don’t see any phone number to call on their site and wasn’t provided any numbers to call on the emails. They said it would be an additional 3 weeks from this point. I’m in need of wheels rather quick because my front caliper is leaking brake fluid and this car is my daily driver. I currently have a full Strano brake kit that I’m trying to install but I need wheels to clear the kit. My car has 16” wheels right now. This is the wheel I currently am looking at to fit my 275/35-18 tires. I don’t care for the look all to much but it appears to be the right offset according to the sticky in this forum section.https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F391808380191

Last edited by F-Body International; 12-22-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

That wheel is hideous and a waste of $500 IMO. Have you checked out OE wheels? You can find some good stuff there at good prices and they should be able to help you out size/offset wise as well. They sell that exact wheel as well. Check em out. There are plenty of black rims for $150 a piece or less.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

OEM C6 Z06 Spyders hands down will be one awesome wheel on that car!
Old 12-22-2017, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by F-Body International
The time estimate on the website says 5-10 days but it went beyond that. All my contact with 6LE has been via email. I don’t see any phone number to call on their site and wasn’t provided any numbers to call on the emails. They said it would be an additional 3 weeks from this point. I’m in need of wheels rather quick because my front caliper is leaking brake fluid and this car is my daily driver. I currently have a full Strano brake kit that I’m trying to install but I need wheels to clear the kit. My car has 16” wheels right now. This is the wheel I currently am looking at to fit my 275/35-18 tires. I don’t care for the look all to much but it appears to be the right offset according to the sticky in this forum section.https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F391808380191
I'm not trying to sound like an ****, but rather than wasting $500+ on wheels you don't like, you could just grab a reman caliper for probably under $100 locally at a parts store to temporarily fix the leak. Then take your time picking out the wheels you really like, spend the money once, and do it right.

Even if you know you're going to dump the caliper for the strano brakes soon, I'd rather throw away >$100 than buy wheels you don't like. I know it's hard driving a modded car as your daily, I did it for a long time, and it usually results in some hasty decisions.

Another option similar to what another poster mentioned is you might find some OEM Vette wheels on Kijiji or CL locally. OE Wheels is another good way to get nice looking OEM style wheels in whatever size you like. But if your heart is set on the Forgestars, I'd just get a reman caliper to get by for now and wait the 8 weeks.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a caliper for under $40 at the "Rock"
Old 12-29-2017, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Well the latest here is that I've been in contact with Sam at Strano. He's out of town until after next week. Since then, my car randomly overheated on Wednesday but has been fine the rest of this week without me addressing anything. Now I'm taking it into Straightline Performance this upcoming week for some overkill preventative maintenance. They're going to flush the engine, install a new thermostat, headers, exhaust, motor mounts, catch can and tune the engine. I'm kind of aggravated I missed the sale Strano had on Forgestar wheels but I guess I now have the money to do the maintenance/repair/upgrade in regards to the engine.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

I just ordered a set of wheels from eBay for $499. I believe it’s the same wheel as the Miro 111 but doesn’t carry the “name”. Keeping my fingers crossed on this deal works out well and there’s no fitment problems with the Strano brake kit.

18x9.5” 5x120 bolt pattern and +38 offset.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332472226066
Old 01-09-2018, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I just ordered a set of wheels from eBay for $499. I believe it’s the same wheel as the Miro 111 but doesn’t carry the “name”. Keeping my fingers crossed on this deal works out well and there’s no fitment problems with the Strano brake kit.

18x9.5” 5x120 bolt pattern and +38 offset.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332472226066
Probably not the same wheel. Many manufacturers make knock-off wheels of the same design. This is a good way to burn money, throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks. Maybe not now but it will bite you eventually.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

I think you should be safe with those wheels for fitment. Strano says his brakes fit with most stock 17's (some need a small spacers to clear the spokes depending on design), so 18x9.5 ET38 shouldn't have an issue. If for some reason the spokes rub then you might need a small spacer, but the spoke design is different for every wheel so you'll have to wait and see.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by handyandy
I think you should be safe with those wheels for fitment. Strano says his brakes fit with most stock 17's (some need a small spacers to clear the spokes depending on design), so 18x9.5 ET38 shouldn't have an issue. If for some reason the spokes rub then you might need a small spacer, but the spoke design is different for every wheel so you'll have to wait and see.
Hopefully a winner here. For being on sale at $499, same specs and looking damn near the same as the Miro 111, I'll have to give it a try. It's literally half the price of a Miro 111.
https://www.aspiremotoring.com/produ...0-hyper-silver

Coincidentally, the wheel supplier I bought from sells Forgestar, Miro and many other brands of wheels. This is a link their website if anyone is interested in checking it out.
https://www.aspiremotoring.com/
Old 01-10-2018, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Hopefully a winner here. For being on sale at $499, same specs and looking damn near the same as the Miro 111, I'll have to give it a try. It's literally half the price of a Miro 111.
https://www.aspiremotoring.com/produ...0-hyper-silver

Coincidentally, the wheel supplier I bought from sells Forgestar, Miro and many other brands of wheels. This is a link their website if anyone is interested in checking it out.
https://www.aspiremotoring.com/
I forgot to mention the brand of wheel I ordered is called MRR. If you go on their website, they have pictures of late model European and American cars.
https://www.mrrwheels.com
Old 01-16-2018, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Alright guys, I finally got the wheels today. Left work early to go get them mounted up. Hopefully I should have my Strano brake kit installed over the weekend.

18x9.5" wheels (38mm offset)
70.3 to 72.6 hub adapter rings
275/35-18 BFG Comp 2 All Season all around

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156619454@N04/, on Flickr

This one is without the center caps installed but you get the idea...
Old 01-16-2018, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Getting new wheels and tires is always fun!!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Alright guys, I finally got the wheels today. Left work early to go get them mounted up. Hopefully I should have my Strano brake kit installed over the weekend.

18x9.5" wheels (38mm offset)
70.3 to 72.6 hub adapter rings
275/35-18 BFG Comp 2 All Season all around

New wheels on Trans Am by Jonathon Randolph, on Flickr

This one is without the center caps installed but you get the idea...

So how do you like them so far? Got anymore photos?
Old 01-24-2018, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

This is after I washed it and installed my Strano brake kit over the weekend. The car has been a lot better overall. In a short time, I’ll be getting new tie rods and an alignment done.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Take you money, invest in a decent altcoin cryptocurrency, wait for it to double or triple, buy CCW's
Old 02-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those do look good on there.

Quick Reply: Need wheel suggestion for ’98 Trans Am